• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Medium to large scale rabbit housing - construction plans?

As I think I or Bertie have mentioned, we will shortly be moving to a new house in which we'll have a dedicated Rabbitorium. The plan is to have carpet tiles on the floor (high grip, easily cleanable and replaceable) and a babygate in the doorway.

However, we'd like some sort of luxury accomodation for the little fuzzballs. We've had a good look at an awful lot of sites doing pre-made hutches, but I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and made it themselves?

In particular we'd be interested in construction plans which we could take away and apply wood and power tools to and end up with something that the rabbits will look at and think "Blimey" for at least a moment or two before proceeding to trash the entire thing.

Some sort of multi-storey affair would be good, I think. As I mentioned we have plenty of links to pre-made stuff but haven't done so well finding construction plans, so any help would be much appreciated.

Binky on!

Rallybunny said:
http://www.rspcarabbits.co.uk/indoor_housing.htm

Very snazzy. :D

They'll be indoors within their own dedicated room, but at the same time we'd like them enclosed within that room in hutch/run combinations that give them room to run and scamper all day. So tunnels and ramps built in and lots of little hidey holes, but at the same time, we need to be able to get in and clean it without too much stress.

A large melomine cupboard would make a good basis for conversion. You could cut holes in the dooors/shelves and add ramps.

Tam

Rallybunny said:
http://www.rspcarabbits.co.uk/indoor_housing.htm

Thanks for that link - very timely as well. I really had not even thought about the multiple litter trays and "Steps Down", I know that it is a simple thing but I have been fretting about the steps down for ages! Thank you!

Tamsin said:
A large melomine cupboard would make a good basis for conversion. You could cut holes in the dooors/shelves and add ramps.

That strikes me as a very fine idea indeed! With ramps and swings and loop-the-loops for them to ride their bicycles around (wearing helmets, of course). ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Andi

I have seen a ingenious old style side board made into a rabbit hutch with females on one side and males on the other. Was thinking of attempting a similar construction (when I get them bonded) but with no sides for boy and girls just straight through.

But I have a 4 tier hutch that I may actually just enclose with a run like system around it with a hinged door to let them roam the flat, so they can go have toys and bits outside and still have ramps and stuff in the hutch! but make sure it has a floor as where we are putting them is just a floor boarded room

just visited the site, cool eh? v impressive....... i love the NIC cubes "NIC cubes are self assemble plastic coated wire panels, their original purpose is to build shelving/storage areas" does anyone know if they can be bought over here?

wow

I have these cubes in our bathroom and yep we use them as storage, never thought about using them for the rabbit. Anyway we got ours from a shop called QD. They came in one box and we got 22 and they cost £10.99. Also you can get them in the silver or multi-coloured. Only thing is, the things that you use to hold them together are plastic so you may have to use something else if you have a rabbit or rabbits that like to bits.
Hope this help. :D

thanks for that

i'm running an internet search for them now and i'm hoping to find a cheap supplier.

fingers crossed.....

I like the lower versions of the condo. Not sure I like the idea of the one climbing up the wall though. Too much opportunity for them to fall and hurt themselves. SPG can't even cope with flopping down on the sofa without falling off.

I've seen the cubes used for Guinea pig enclosures and they look like wonderful things. Need a cheap source though. Housing 4 bunnies would take a lot of cubes. I suppose using cubes would allow us to build extensions onto our existing Ferplast cages, which could be quite good. Hmm.

One site quotes costco as having them, I think I have seen them there but not sure how much, sorry.

Is plastic covered ok? Don't they chew it?

i'm running an internet search for them now and i'm hoping to find a cheap supplier.

fingers crossed.....

Let us know if you find anywhere to buy them online, I'm going to do a search too.

Tamsin said:
I think some people have used these to make housing - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbitrun.asp sort of like giant cubes!

I'm thinking of getting those for the garden when we move. Most runs I've looked at are a bit on the short side and my bunnies like to have a good stretch and a look at the world around them. I thought I could use those pegged into the ground and then cover with some netting to keep any unwanted neighbourhood cats out and then there'd be plenty of room inside for some toys and a little house. Plus they'd make a donation with my order. :D

Once we've got them we could always have a play around and see what we can build. And I suppose it would be possible to combine them with the smaller cubes made into ramps and tunnels.

Back