• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Monty's latest moment

Monty's Human

Alpha Buck
I just had to share Monty's latest moment, it feels like such a small thing but also such a breakthrough in our relationship :D

We've been trying to teach him the command "Up!" (hoping, once he has mastered it, to... encourage him to let us stroke him. Not just for selfish reasons - atm we have to comb him every couple of days and he hates it, but if I can run my fingers through I get rid of all the dead fur and make sure there's no knots, so less grooming and less stress) and so in that vein, now he's mastered jumping onto the bed, I've been taking his food up there and encouraging him up to receive food at the top. This evening did this with pellets. Five minutes of shouting "Up!... Up! Monty", goodness knows what the neighbours thought :roll:, but he did hop up. Not only did he come up and have the pellets, but fifteen minutes of him eating pellets quite calmly and me lying next to him stroking him, murmering things and just generally bonding. It was so lovely :love: I even managed to kiss him at the end with no resentment - and if I didn't get anything back, well, he hopped up last night as I was settling in and licked my nose, so I still feel very loved!

Post-neuter he really does seem to be getting better, which I didn't dare hope for. Not perfect, by any stretch!, but definitely more willing to sometimes allow stroking and spending time on the bed running up and down us. (I think my partner would appreciate an end to the 5am arm grooms, but still.) He always ate from hands, too, but now he actively comes running up pleading for food, and will quite often nibble my finger tips if I'm silly enough to leave them in reach where I usually feed him. Perhaps he does love me too? :D

Aww how lovely! I'm sure he's feeling more confident with you too. It's so good when they are happy to be stroked and loved. Hopefully you've had a breakthrough.

Aww that's lovely ❤️❤️❤️ It's such a nice feeling when you make those breakthroughs with them and you can start to think maybe they do love me [emoji3]

I might steal your trick to get him to jump onto the bed. I really wish my bunnies would jump onto my bed for a cuddle but they hardly ever do [emoji17]

Actually Snoopy made one of his rare forays onto the bed the other morning. I woke up to feel something breathing and sniffing on my ear. Naturally I thought I was being demonically possessed (I should stop watching the horror channel!) but then realised it was Snoopy! ❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww that's lovely ❤️❤️❤️ It's such a nice feeling when you make those breakthroughs with them and you can start to think maybe they do love me [emoji3]

I might steal your trick to get him to jump onto the bed. I really wish my bunnies would jump onto my bed for a cuddle but they hardly ever do [emoji17]

Actually Snoopy made one of his rare forays onto the bed the other morning. I woke up to feel something breathing and sniffing on my ear. Naturally I thought I was being demonically possessed (I should stop watching the horror channel!) but then realised it was Snoopy! ❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, that's fantastic! Blinking bunnies. Monty a couple of weeks ago woke me up backing into me and choking me with his bum fur. Thanks, I guess? I hope you can encourage him onto the bed more (and that he doesn't decide to claim it by weeing all over the pillows, like Monty was for a while...). Bed cuddles are awesome!

When I went to bed last night, Monty was already sat up waiting for me, and promptly came over and started winding round my arm. Only for a moment - my partner came in, and he is the preferred human - but it was just so lovely. Then again this morning when I was getting dressed, Monty was up on the bed, and every time I went to the wardrobe he was leaning right over the edge and reaching for me, until I'd come back and sit down and stroke him. I know that's what he wanted, as soon as I started stroking he settled down all comfortably and half closed his eyes :D These are genuinely the first times when he's actively enjoyed and encouraged our attention, and knowing Monty by the end of the day he'll be back to running away, so I'm enjoying them while they last.

(If I've interpreted correctly, he's also decided the bed is the ideal place to eat his poo, so that he can lick our faces straight afterwards. I'm not quite sure what to make of that one.)

Back