• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Toys

Lindsey

Young Bun
I have read in several places that you can give bunnies phone books etc to play with and chew on, is this really okay for them? My bunny Libby is very fussy about what she plays with and I found out (by accident) that she loves chewing on magazines etc. I noticed she was actually eating some of the paper so took it away from her. Any advice, I have tried every kind of toy possible and am scared she is bored while I am at work....

Mine like eating paper. I used to worry about it, but they're all fine. I don't specifically give them paper as a treat, but they attack the mail and they eat my books if I don't hide them. I don't think I'd want to give them a phone book though. It would be ok if they were mostly going to dig at it, but I know my lot would just sit and eat it and I don't want them filling up on paper and ruining their dinner.

I have bought her every kind of toy, from lava bites, dried catus, absolutely everything! and the only thing she wants to play with is a magazine! Typical.... :lol: I give her cardboard tubes but she only briefly plays with them, then loses interest. Luckily she has her teddy (piggy) to keep her company, and luckily she does not even chew that...

Have you tried baskets? You can get some quite cheap untreated wicker and seagrass type woven baskets from DIY shops and cheapo pound shops. My lot love destroying them. Mostly they pull bits off and leave them, but they do munch some so you need to check what they're made of and make sure they haven't been treated with anything dodgy.

Homebase were doing three nested baskets with wooden handles for a fiver a couple months a go. They might still have them. They last ages even with four angry little rabbits attacking from all sides.

Another thing worth a try are roll-a-nests. They sell them as woven nests for hamsters. They made out of hay on a metal frame. They enjoyed destroying those.

I had one of those bunny castles too. They gutted the poor thing. Eventually I had to condemn it as it became structurally unsound. :(

They like the fiddle sticks too. The ones you can bend to make tunnels and things. But they mostly seem to like them lying flat so they can stand on them and rip the bark off.

What else worked...the plaits of straw were just instantly destroyed and ignored. Twig balls lasted a little longer, but after a couple of days they were mostly dead and ignored. The weeble type feeder for ferrets was popular, but it made a lot of mess and started some fights, so I don't use that anymore. Everything else just gets ignored. Dangly toys, balls with bells, cholla, that sisal carrot thing, toothing rings, all ignored.

Baskets, cardboard, wooden tunnels, those vegetable parchment tunnels and the roll-a-nests, are the only really popular toys with my lot.

Cassidy used to love the parchment-tube seesaw. She'd hide in it like a trapdoor spider, and when another rabbit when past she'd pounce on it.

Mostly the rabbits like to play with the sofas. Generally their favourite games are pooing, weeing and chewing. My poor, poor sofas. :cry:

Evo's ignored most things we're got him too, balls weeble-type things, the cholla chews etc are all ignored. The most popular things with him are toilet roll middles, and especially silver foil middles and 2 toys from this site: http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/ He likes the big balls filled with timothy hay and has been working on one of the straw "doughnuts" for about a month. The timothy hay from that site is nice too. :D

I must admit Kip loves her yellow pages, she will rip the pages out, chuck them around and chew them, I don't worry too much as she is pooing fine, ans she eats enough hey to keep it all moving through nicely!

Buster has just started chewing on the shredded paper in his cage but he is pooing fine too so not too worried!

They both have tubes and play toys so I just leave them too it!

Thanks for that website, it looks fantastic, especially the woven mats and those timothy hay balls.... better get my credit card out (again) and go shopping to keep the little mites happy, but they are worth it....

Blueberry is quite fussy when it comes to toys, she does like the toss n' throw carrots, I got them from a local petshop but I think you can get them on bunny bazzaar or bunymail, Also from them I got an untreated willow basket she absolutely loved it, destroyed it in a couple of days tho!!

She ignores loo roll inners even if there full of hay, she has a hay ball from WWW but thats lost favour now, I got her one of those veg shaped coloured wood chews but she's totally ignored that.
She does like cardboard boxes, tossing her brush around and digging an old pair of jeans -she loves jeans, especially when they have legs in them!! :roll: :lol:

Hoppy used to like tossing jam jar lids.

hope this helps, let you know if I think of anything else.

My boys love flower pots, they put them on their nose and run round with them. Wally also loves his jingly ball from RWF site, and Starsky loves his willow ball. They also love cardboard boxes to hide in and chew!

Roo loves plant pots, throwing then around sticking his head in them. Also cardboard boxes big ones, small ones any size. We cut the doors in and he's off in and out on the top and then has a good chew and spit. Roo loves magazine, he has a big box filled with the tv guides(staples removed) and he loves to sit and rip he does eat some of the paper, but i keep an eye on his poo's and he is fine. Has shop brought toys but after the first play he then he ignores them. Toilet roll tube and kitchen roll tubes he plays with as well. We hang them from the extended part of his cage and he likes to bite and butt them.

Branwen loves wire cat balls, she picks them up and throws them. That's really her only thing.

Casey will play with anything, he loves chewing and nudging things around with his chin.

I made them both little tubes filled with hay. It was funny to watch how Casey would nudge it a bit then eat the hay. Whilst Branwen just thew it around then ignored it.

Rally bunny: Thanks for the link, now I want a chincilla too. :lol:
Probably end up buying loads of stuff there (Christmas isn't just for people)

Yeah thanks Rally bunny- I've now spent a small fortune ordering stuff for Siouxsie and George (my 2 chins) - will have to get them a bigger cage when this stuff arrives. :lol: :lol:
No, thanks really, its a good site

Jill

Back