• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried that my rabbit has flystrike

So around this time last year, my rabbit got flystrike twice. Luckily he survived but I am really worried some flies may have laid eggs on him again.

Unfortunately, since moving away for university my parents aren't feeding my rabbit correctly. He often has a poopy butt.
My parents say they clean it once a week as it can be quite traumatic for him. I'm house-sitting this week and at first glance it looked alright. I put him in the run, left him for a while, and when I got back he had some flies on his backside.

I took him inside and lifted hiss butt up so I could check his hindquarters. Because I was by myself and he was struggling it was hard to check thoroughly. But I did a decent check, and his butt was a bit poopy but there didn't seem to be any eggs I could see.

Now I am worried though. The conditions were right. He's had it before. I put him out at about noon and fly eggs take about 12-24 hours to hatch. So that means that they could hatch between midnight tonight and noon. It's a bit chilly outside so I'm worried about washing him this hour.

I want to go and check his butt again but I don't think I can do a thorough check alone. I'd have to flip him over and I think I could hurt him.

Do you think it will be alright to check on him at midnight, then wake up at 3am to observe him again for a few minutes (I think I remember his behaviour from before), then sleep and check at 6am, and then maybe give him a quick wash at 9am?

He seems happy enough now but the eggs wouldn't have hatched yet.

I would think that would be OK, if he doesn't seem in any discomfort, but if you can, I could comb/wash his bum to prevent them hatching

So around this time last year, my rabbit got flystrike twice. Luckily he survived but I am really worried some flies may have laid eggs on him again.

Unfortunately, since moving away for university my parents aren't feeding my rabbit correctly. He often has a poopy butt.
My parents say they clean it once a week as it can be quite traumatic for him. I'm house-sitting this week and at first glance it looked alright. I put him in the run, left him for a while, and when I got back he had some flies on his backside.

I took him inside and lifted hiss butt up so I could check his hindquarters. Because I was by myself and he was struggling it was hard to check thoroughly. But I did a decent check, and his butt was a bit poopy but there didn't seem to be any eggs I could see.

Now I am worried though. The conditions were right. He's had it before. I put him out at about noon and fly eggs take about 12-24 hours to hatch. So that means that they could hatch between midnight tonight and noon. It's a bit chilly outside so I'm worried about washing him this hour.

I want to go and check his butt again but I don't think I can do a thorough check alone. I'd have to flip him over and I think I could hurt him.

Do you think it will be alright to check on him at midnight, then wake up at 3am to observe him again for a few minutes (I think I remember his behaviour from before), then sleep and check at 6am, and then maybe give him a quick wash at 9am?

He seems happy enough now but the eggs wouldn't have hatched yet.

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

Check on him as often as you can. Clip the fur away carefully, and inspect everywhere - even those areas you don't think may have been in contact with flies. Above the tail is also a target.

Observing him won't help detect the eggs, but actually looking into the fur will.

Here's some info:

https://www.medicanimal.com/The-sym...evention-of-fly-strike-in-rabbits/a/ART111555

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2006/february/Cousquer/Veterinary-Lop-Rabbit-Fly-Strike.html

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Flystrikedontgetcaughtout.pdf

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-12/fly-strike.html

In the warm weather we are having, it can be 8 hours and they are hatched. Washing won't get rid of the eggs. They can be clipped off the fur, or combed out with a tooth comb.

You probably know all of this - but I hope your rabbit will be OK x

Back