• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Homeopathic vets

Alicia

Mama Doe
Has anyone ever tried a homeopathic vet? Izzy has arthritis but her being on long term pain killers doesn't sit well with me so I wanted to explore other options. Someone recommended a vet to me that does homeopathic remedies, I phoned and spoke to her and she said things like acupuncture can be effective. I've made an appointment for Izzy to be seen on Saturday just to get more information. I'm not sure which would be better for Izzy? If she needs pain killers then I obviously won't stop her having them I just wanted information on alternatives. She already has a joint supplement daily but I don't think it's enough anymore

As they will be a qualified vet they will be able to advise which would suit izzy but I have found homeopathy effective in the past

Has anyone ever tried a homeopathic vet? Izzy has arthritis but her being on long term pain killers doesn't sit well with me so I wanted to explore other options. Someone recommended a vet to me that does homeopathic remedies, I phoned and spoke to her and she said things like acupuncture can be effective. I've made an appointment for Izzy to be seen on Saturday just to get more information. I'm not sure which would be better for Izzy? If she needs pain killers then I obviously won't stop her having them I just wanted information on alternatives. She already has a joint supplement daily but I don't think it's enough anymore

Several of my arthritic Rabbits have benefited from having Acupuncture. Not instead of standard medication, but aswell as. In some cases the doses of medication needed have been less once a course of acupuncture has been initiated . The Acupuncture was done by my own Vet, who also uses Laser Therapy now for part of the treatment of arthritis.

https://www.twickenhamvets.com/laser-therapy-amazing/

Personally I have no problem with appropriate use of complimentary therapies under the supervision of a qualified Vet. It's the go it alone cowboys who use all sorts of concoctions to' treat' a poorly pet, even one that is not their own, without any qualified Veterinary input that I take issue with. I have seen first hand the damage that can do via a now deceased friend who was a member on here :cry: Hence my ultra caution and strong opinions about Homeopathic/Complimentary Treatment.

There are some very useful complimentary treatments available so looking into that field is well worth while, but proceed with caution and chose your treatment provider carefully.

http://www.bahvs.com/

Some Pet Insurance Policies will cover certain Complimentary Treatments too :)

Last edited:
It's also worth adding that acupuncture is not homeopathy - the two are very different things! Homeopathy is an 'alternative therapy' which is very controversial due to a lack of any objective evidence that it works, whereas acupuncture is accepted as a complimentary therapy which can be used to provide additional support and relief alongside mainstream medicine.

The vet who does acupuncture on my cats for arthritis also does it for rabbits. She says that rabbits tend to respond extremely well to it, she thinks because they are prey animals so their 'fight or flight' response is very well developed. I would definitely recommend giving it a go, you can do it alongside the meloxicam to see if it helps. You have to do sessions about every week to start off with and then taper them down over time; my cats definitely feel the benefit of it, they suddenly start jumping on work surfaces and climbing trees again once they've had their acupuncture *rolls eyes*. Good luck :)

It's also worth adding that acupuncture is not homeopathy - the two are very different things! Homeopathy is an 'alternative therapy' which is very controversial due to a lack of any objective evidence that it works, whereas acupuncture is accepted as a complimentary therapy which can be used to provide additional support and relief alongside mainstream medicine.

The vet who does acupuncture on my cats for arthritis also does it for rabbits. She says that rabbits tend to respond extremely well to it, she thinks because they are prey animals so their 'fight or flight' response is very well developed. I would definitely recommend giving it a go, you can do it alongside the meloxicam to see if it helps. You have to do sessions about every week to start off with and then taper them down over time; my cats definitely feel the benefit of it, they suddenly start jumping on work surfaces and climbing trees again once they've had their acupuncture *rolls eyes*. Good luck :)

Absolutely this !! Our little friend Nomad had Acupuncture A :love:

Alicia there is a couple of old threads on RU relating to your question

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...al-remedies-for-rabbits&highlight=homeopathic

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...plements-Health-Boosters&highlight=homeopathy

Last edited:
Back