• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweeper not drinking

Afternoon

I don't think Sweep has drank very much in the last few days as I can't remember filling her bottle up any time after Thursday or Friday and Nick says that he hasn't done it. The bottle is still quite full.

I know that it's her malting time and time for her to leave her hair all over Mum and the sofa, but her back doesn't look good it looks poor and I can now feel her hips, but she is fine with me touching her and is eating ok.

Do I take her to the vet when I get home? Money is really tight at the moment, but I can afford a trip to the vet, but don't want to have a wasted journey if that makes sense???

What would you do?

Has she been eating greens? This usually means they drink less water as they get some from the food. What are her poos like?

When moulting, which some buns do in waves it can make them look quite peculiar. Have you tried weighing her? Thats the best way to monitor weight loss/gain.

If a bun is moulting heavily its important to groom them to remove the loss fur, that prevents hair balls. A comb works best, for example a cat flea comb.

Tamsin

Mmmmmh you say she's not drank anything is she eating? You've probably checked this already but is there an air bubble in the bottle? Try her with a bowl of water instead, Benji didn't seem to like the bottle so he now has a bowl. How does she seem in herself?

I find that Evo hardly drinks at all if he has greens, when he was poorly and wasn't allowed them, I was surprised at how much more he drank. I always wash his greens and leave them wet, aswell, to make sure he gets enough moisture.

I agree with checking the water bottle as Kip didn't seem to be drinking much but when I checked her bottle it wasn't working properly so I have brought her a new one.

I agree that when they are eating greens they don't tend to drink too much.

She is eating fine, nothing gets in the way of Sweeper eating.....not even Mummy's hand!

She has hay mainly with half a carrot a day, with the occasional handful of grass as I work till 5 normally so at the moment I don't get home in time for them to be let out on the grass. She is fine in herself as well, as I had her out running around at the weekend and she seemed ok.

I checked the water bottle yesterday and rolled the ball around a few times and water was coming out.

I can't give her a bowl as it confuses her and the last time we did the silly mare nearly drowned herself by sticking her head in the water thinking it was food!

I think it's coz she was so ill before and has been in and out of the vets, that I do tend to worry more about her.

My lot hardly drink any water as they get a diet high in Green's/Veg with minimal Pellet's.

As long as she's eating and seem's happy and well in herself I wouldn't worry.

I would change the water everyday as some Rabbit's can be funny about fresh water etc.

Louise

I'd just like to add that the local authority sometimes add extra bits and pieces to the water ie. chlorine, fluoride etc. If you run the cold tap in the kitchen or bathroom really fast, you can smell the additives. Maybe try bottled still water and see if she likes that, you can even try the waters flavoured with natural fruit juice.

bunnyhuggger said:
you can even try the waters flavoured with natural fruit juice.

Whatever next??? :lol: Champagne???? :lol:

My OH would think I'd gone crackers if I gave my Rabbit's bottled flavoured water! :D

Louise

My bunnies have filtered water, our normal tap water is a bit naff so we filter it and we just use the same for the rabbits. They can tell if I use the tap water :lol: :lol:

:lol: Nawwwww Louise, you don't tell your other half :lol: and it is a wee treat for the buns! Keep the champagne to yourself :wink: :lol:

bottled water???

don't they add things to that? i've always opted for tap water (for my son) rather than bottled for that reason....

Back