• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays, How many?

kazza378

New Kit
I have two buns, dwarf lop sisters. At the moment I have one litter tray for them both to use. I empty it daily, and it is always, erm how do I put this, full??!! However, there is also a lot of poo outside of the litter tray... I'm wondering if one is using the litter tray more than the other and I'm thinking that maybe I need another tray? Do bunnies prefer to have a toilet area each?

This probably sounds a bit silly, but I'm a first-time rabbit owner and my girls seem to thrive on your expertise and knowledge!!!

Thanks

Karen xxx

Are there any other areas that they like to use? You can pop another tray there and see if they use it. Some of my bunnies automatically use a tray wherever I put it. They just recognise it as a litter tray and use it accordingly, but I think it's more common that rabbits will use a tray if you put it somewhere they already use as a toilet area.

None of mine seem to mind sharing, so if one is using the tray more than the other it's likely that that particular bunny is just more litter trained than the other. If they're running around over a large area then it can be worth having an extra tray as they aren't going to want to keep running all the way back to do their business.

I started with one litter tray for Rob, and now have six :wink:

He did use the first one, at times, but also liked to use other spots that didn't have a litter tray down. I tried the moving him to tray when he had an 'accident', but it never quite worked. As Bertie said they maybe just like specific spots, so I added an extra tray on the other spots that he seemed to like to go. I did wonder if it would ever stop, and he would just keep finding new spots :roll: , however, he seems to be happy with six. :) Very rarely accidents now.

:lol: Hi Kazza - Full Poo tray eh!! - thats good news Gal - that normally means that your bunsters are producing good piles of poos and that their Gut or to put it nicer - Bunny Tummies are behaving themselves.

I have two girlie lops and they have a litter tray each - now I now most bunny mums will think I'm completely over the top (Adele - don't you answer that one Gal!) but they do seem to like munching side by side in them and this encourages them to do all their poo's in the tray and not outside.
OK we do get the occassional stray poo but this tends to be a meal times when they get a bit excited and they are running around like the mad bunnies from bromsgrove that they are!!

Also I have the big higher back trays - these are actually the Big Cat Litter Trays by I think its Ferriplas - I take the outer tops off and they make great bunny litter trays as they are just about the right height so bunnies can hop in and out safety but because they are slightly higher sided than the norm the hay etc stays in the tray more.

Hope this helps - good luck with your girlies.

Hi, I only have one litter tray which comes in the LR when Blueberry does as that's the only room she is allowed in at the mo.
But I only have one rabbit, she does tend to fill it tho, so when I bond her I will probably need to get two.
I do get the odd poo's out of the litter tray, if she is eating her hay thats in the litter tray but not sitting in it at the time.
Generally she has always been very good -take today for instance, I got in at lunchtime and there was a pile of poo's where her litter tray goes, I thought it was strange as I'd hoovered before I went out, I went to clear them up and thought these are abit "fresh" She'd only got out and was upstairs, but had gone to the toilet where her litter tray wouldv'e been before she went up!! :lol:

Back