• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE HELP !

sammy123

Young Bun
:cry: I'm really concerned about my new bunny Brandy. We picked her up from the farm where she was living and took her away from her mum and brothers this Saturday. Its now day 3 and she seems soooo scared of humans, stroking her is ok. We have tried a number of times to pick her up, but she really struggles and we sence that she really hates it, the few times we have tried she back off into a corner and starts to have these really weird (the only way i can describe them is) they look like big heart beats, we thought the first time they were hick-up's. They were very worrying. So at the moment we dont feel confident to pick her up, she scared of any noises in the house. She has had a good look around out lounge and seams to like it - we have brought lots of lovely toys - that she just not intrested in. I suppose she has never experience any of this before and we just hopying she settles in ok! Does anyone have any advice for a very worried Brandy Lover???
Any advice would be really great.
Thanks Sam Anthony and Baby Brandy
xxxxx

All I can think of at the mo is putting her back into her indoor house for the time being. Lightly clicking your teeth which means your happy. Keep the sound level down and let her get used to her new place. Leave her door open so she can come out when she is ready.

Maybe a box placed upside down with a cut out hole for her to sit in so she feels safe.

When she is hopping around, just ignore her and let her sniff and scent you and don`t try to touch her until she feels more relaxed.

best of luck.

ps when holding her, maybe have her under your top so shes more relaxed, maybe.

I hope other have more advice for you.

bronie

dont try and pick her up yet, stay very calm talking to her for at least a week offering her tasty bits from your hand until she is used to your scent then let her have the run of the lounge, sit on the floor and let her come to you all the while offering her treats, no rabbit likes to be picked up but they do love a cuddle, so be patient she will come round.

KATHY said:
dont try and pick her up yet, stay very calm talking to her for at least a week offering her tasty bits from your hand until she is used to your scent then let her have the run of the lounge, sit on the floor and let her come to you all the while offering her treats, no rabbit likes to be picked up but they do love a cuddle, so be patient she will come round.

this is similar to what I do with Sweep and it does work. Let her run round in the house, with you sat quietly on the floor reading a book. She will come over to visit you when she feels ready to. Keep a couple of treats by your side to reward her for coming over.

I can't tell you how long it will take to gain her trust to a level where you can pick her up but you have to do it on her terms to get anywhere.

Good luck
Mary

Hi there Sammy

Awwwwwww - sound like your little bunster just getting a bit stressed with the new environment, new smells etc.

Kathy and BristolMary have some good tips on here for you which should help out. Just another thing which might help is keeping the house nice and calm with not too much noise - I find a good calmer for bunnies is some soft music played nice and low to chill them out -

Good luck and keep us posted.

Over and Out.

Thanks for the advise, i really apreciate it. What sort of treats do you think i should give her when she comes over to me??? as she is only 8 weeks old. I did put in her food bowl 2 small slices of carrot, they took 2 days to go but they have been eaten - im a bit weary about what to give her?

Thanks again

Sam

bunnymad said:
Maybe a box placed upside down with a cut out hole for her to sit in so she feels safe.

When she is hopping around, just ignore her and let her sniff and scent you and don`t try to touch her until she feels more relaxed.

Very good advice. :) I don't know what your bunny already eats, but maybe you could offer small amounts of herbs or a bit of his usual dried food as a treat.

Might be worth finding out what she was fed on from the place you got her from so at least that a bit consitant.

Back