• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outside?

indigoroses

Young Bun
We've just adopted two male rabbits, from an animal home, used to being outside, not overly friendly to humans, but quite easy to pick up and cuddle. They have a big hutch, in a large shed, and the run of the whole garden, which is completely enclosed and stonewalled, has lots of bushes and weeds, and yummy things. Our previous rabbits lived there no problem, and came in every night (Well nearly, but not in the rain) and came in for their feeding etc. Went to bed in the hay mostly.
However, Chester and Cody having actually come out of the shed for longer than five minutes are now refusing to go back in, and nothing seems to tempt them back. Not even for food or shelter.
I'm away, my housemates are there, but they won't come to them and run if they come in the garden, I ahve no advice because they really were just ignoring me, not running from me. We hope their eating the vegetation and therefore are all right for food, but we don't want them really left out in the night. Just in case. We live in the city, but still.
Any suggestions on how to get them in, at least to their hutch sometimes, or so we can get them to check (And to take them home at christmas etc) would be ever so welcome. Will they be okay having the run of the place until they get used to being around humans again, will they get too cold?(I assumed if they were too cold they'd find their way back inside to the hutch and the straw/hay. )
Argh!!
My housemates are worrying and thinking we should just catch them and take them back to the sanctuary, which i really don't want to do, beause they have so much more freedom and should have a better life. Provided they will be safe in the garden really. Any suggestions/reassurances?

Hiya Indigoroses -

Sounds like your bunnies are enjoying their new found freedom.

My own bunnies are house bunnies but do have access to a secure garden to run and play in. It is worth checking them all the time though - I would never leave our bunnies unsupervised in the Garden - there are lots of preditors for bunnies even though its a secure garden - cats could get in to frighten them or worse, maggpies, crows and herons can all make a sudden swoop at a bunny - the scare from this alone even if not caught can cause the bunnie to run at speed and cause injury, shock to a bunny can also kill. The situation is obviously worse for a bunny left out over night and I think most folks on here will agree that they would never leave bunnies out at night unsecured - even if the bunnies have the option of running back to their hutch - this wouldn't be protection for them if they are not in a secured area.

It can take a lot of time and patience to train a bunny to come to call and return to their hutch as they will be sooooooo excited by the garden and all the new smells etc - if your not able to keep a constant watch on your bunnies how about ropeing your housemates in to attach a large secure run to their shed - then you can at least rest assured they are safe and your bunnies will have the best of both worlds.

Good luck - hope this helps.

This is going to sound awful but works..... invest in a water pistol. I originally got it to squirt at the neighbourhoud cats if they dare stray into the garden but had to resort to using it on the buns when they refused to go in their hutches. They did get a bit of a soaking a couple of times before they got the message but now the tiniest of squirts in the area, barely touching them, is enough to send them in (treat waiting in the hutch of course).

Jill

thanks: we are well aware of the dangers of them being outside - which is why we're stressing that they won't go in their wonderfully secure shed! (!) magpies? eeks. I hadn't thought of magpies. :(
The problem is that they hide undr the bushes and will NOT come back in.

A Water pistol? it migh work. Did you have to dry them off afterward Jill?excuse the ignorance, but I've not soaked a bunny before!!! I'm not sure my housemates won't think I've taken up a new form of animal cruelty

Did have to dry them sometimes - depended on how much of a soaking I had to give before they got the message. Totti is the most adorable, affectionate pure white bun and it tugged at the old heart strings to see him really soaked and dishevelled. But this was in summer when it was a good deal warmer so I would suggest you try with a burst to one part of the bun only to guage the reaction- with any luck, a mere sprinkling will be all thats needed, followed by a quick rub down and a treat.

Good luck

Jill

Hi,
The thing to do is herd them into the hutch or shed and have a bowl of food in there waiting for them. Once they are in just shut the door and don't under any circumstances pick them up. They need to know that once they hop in there they are safe. Use a stick to tap on the ground in front of their noses to get them to go the way you want. This will be difficult at first, but they will learn after it has been done a few times. Mine all have access to large runs during the day but go back into their hutches willingly at night.

It is not a good idea to leave them out all the time. There are predators even in cities, plus you will need to check that they are alright. Do this in the morning when you let them out which is less likely to make them hard to catch, as they need to know that when they get in their hutch they will not be hassled. Give them access to their hutch all the time in case they need shelter or want their hay. If the weather is nasty don't let them out.

All in all they will be far easier to manage for a bit of effort to train them early on.

HTH

Me and the hubby herd ours if they are playing up. Mr S only came to us 6 months ago but has mostly got the hang of it now but it is definitely a 2 person or more job to move them in the right direction, blocking off any favourite hidey holes too.

Foxes, foxes foxes.

Even when I lived in CentralLondon we had foxes.
:x
James and I usually deploy the "close in on them routine" and force them to run to their hutch for safety. Arms out and a broom help :D
Eventually they get the message that bedtime is bedtime.
It is awesome that you have a great garden for them. They love that!
Be kind and make sure they can get a safe sleep at night. Rabbits are prey animals and are always on alert. You are doing them a favour by giving them someplace they can stretch out and relax at night. Resting for a busy new day Rabitting!
Get your flatmates on side to help you. If you want to "domesticate" them quicker, consider keeping them in the house <kitchen for example> for a few weeks. This gets them used to you and your crew. You will find it easier to get your way.
Good Luck! If you live near me I am happy to come over and help :)

i have a welsh border collie and when i say bedtime he rounds them all up
i'm not saying try this all i am saying is all my rabbits are used to him licking them to death so they ablige by going to bed :lol:

hmmmmmmm.We have a long stick -we used to get our old dear rabbits in using it. One sight of the stick and they were usually gone, Chester and Cody just look stressed and go further into the brambles. (yes, our gardens a jungle-bunny paradise.) i think it might be a several person job at first.
We have left the hutch open, and the shed. I don't understand why they won't go in; because they were running in and out quite happily. ANd running to the hutch for safety at new people, so we thought we were all okay. I'm wondering if somethings scared them into keeping OUT of the hutch.
I think we're going to try the stick approach with a few people next time, we didn't train the other rabbits, but I'm sure considering the run around that they could give they must have been unruly at first. hmmmm.
And I think putting the hutch in the garden might help, so they get used to it, then move it back to the shed. We really don'tlike leaving them out, but don't want to traumatise them either, by poking at them with the stick or trying to grab them - not that it's even been attempted yet. We won't try to grab them at all. I know we can have urban foxes and dogs, this is why we worry. I'm wondering if they haven't been scared by something already and this is why they hate the hutch?
hm.blueberry trail sounds a wonderful idea :)
fingers crossed that they make peace with the hutch!
thanks everyone.

Just a question. Don`t your buns try to dig? Couldn`t they dig themselves out by mistake? I have always wondered about this.

thanks

bronie

Re: HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outs

Hiya – my post is going to sound ever so negative, probably because it is. If I have got this all wrong then please correct me! BUT I DON’THINK SO

Best say my piece and get it wrong than bite my lip and wish that I had said something later.!!

indigoroses said:
We've just adopted two male rabbits, from an animal home, used to being outside, not overly friendly to humans, but quite easy to pick up and cuddle.

Frankly, I don’t believe you. Which “Animal Home” is this that would allow you to adopt two bucks and how come that they are “easy to pick up and cuddle” yet you have a problem getting them in to a shed at night – or even once a year so that they con celebrate Xmas LOL!

indigoroses said:
They have a big hutch, in a large shed, and the run of the whole garden, which is completely enclosed and stonewalled, has lots of bushes and weeds, and yummy things. Our previous rabbits lived there no problem, and came in every night (Well nearly, but not in the rain) and came in for their feeding etc. Went to bed in the hay mostly.

What happened to the previous occupants? You do not say what the bushes or weeds are or were. Do you even know!?!

[quote="indigoroses “]However, Chester and Cody having actually come out of the shed for longer than five minutes are now refusing to go back in, and nothing seems to tempt them back. Not even for food or shelter. [/quote]

How about picking them up and placing them back in the shelter. You stated that they are easy to pick up and cuddle,

[quote="indigoroses “] I'm away, my housemates are there, but they won't come to them and run if they come in the garden, I ahve no advice because they really were just ignoring me, not running from me. [/quote]

Get the rabbits back to wherever they have come from! You are not fit to keep them

[quote="indigoroses We hope their eating the vegetation and therefore are all right for food, but we don't want them really left out in the night. Just in case. We live in the city, but still.
Any suggestions on how to get them in, at least to their hutch sometimes, or so we can get them to check (And to take them home at christmas etc) would be ever so welcome. Will they be okay having the run of the place until they get used to being around humans again, will they get too cold?(I assumed if they were too cold they'd find their way back inside to the hutch and the straw/hay. )
Argh!!
My housemates are worrying and thinking we should just catch them and take them back to the sanctuary, which i really don't want to do, beaus they have so much more freedom and should have a better life. Provided they will be safe in the garden really. Any suggestions/reassurances?[/quote]

I rest my case… you are not a fit person to keep rabbits!

Yerr. prodding the brain would also be hepfull but not condusive un your case. End of story End of reacton.

Re: HELP!Rabbits refusing to come back in - are they ok outs

I rest my case… you are not a fit person to keep rabbits!

Bob,

I always love that you have animals best interests at heart.

Please can you remember when you were just learning? I screwed up so much with Holly and Caesar, it's embarassing.
To be fair, I didn't know about great sites like this where I could get info and advice on demand.
Being a bunny owner isn't an exclusive club for only the brilliant rabbit handlers amoung us. If it was, then there would be a damn sight more rabbits in rescues.
I learn something new about my buns everyday and I hope I continue to do so.
If we attack everyone who is trying to do a good job, they will stop asking questions.
I agree that 2 bucks shouldn't be together and I agree that the buns should be secure at night.
We can solve the problem more effectively if we give the lady our good advice and support rather that our criticism.
I can't help but believe that most pet owners want to do a good job and have the best interests of their animal at heart.
If not, it is a rather savage, selfish world we live in.
Yes there is always the exception that breaks the rule, but let's not alienate the people who are ultimately on our side. I can't count how many times I did "wrong" but I love my buns, they love me, and we are doing our best together to make a go of it.
LOL If kids could trade us in for a more perfect model, where would we be?
<richer is not the right answer btw!!!!>

Not picking on anyone here. But I have always had a problem with buns that have been left to roam the yard. I have known of a few buns that have been killed due to this. ( the owners thought it was OK to do this as they are tame and didn`t leave the yard) We tame them down, they know our other pets and have no fear of them. Then left to roam the yard and have no fear when a strange cat etc enter their space.

I do have harnesses and leads for my darlings so I can take them (wahahaha I should say they take US for a walk and run :wink: )

The water pistol thing works, you squirt them and that gets their attention. Its not like your throwing a bucket of water over them. So its a good management tool.

bronie

bunnyhuggger said:
Jeez Bob, what happens to you sometimes? Do you take an abuse pill once a week? :shock:

A reality pill would also ring you back into the real world

Back