• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seeking Advice

Maleficent

New Kit
So, just yesterday I went to visit a local rabbit breeder that I have befriended. Mainly to have her help me gauge the help of my buns mainly because the lion head I got from weighed a lot more then she should have for a false dwarf (7-7.5lbs).

The first gal we checked was my petite rescue lion head (Lucy). She weighed in at about 2.5 to 3lbs and was a little chunky, about a quarter over weight the breeder estimated. While doing so the breeder checked her hips and come to find out she is a lot more pinched in the hip area then originally thought. Her ankles are almost knocking together.

Next up was my dwarf hotot girl (Bunnicula) who was right where she needed to be weight wise. Didn't really need to lose anything and didn't really need to gain anything either. We checked her hips out as well and didn't see any noticable pinching since we wanted to be sure.

Last was the big girl, it was discovered that she was NOT over weight like we thought. Just built very sturdy with dense muscles which gave her, her 7lb weight reading even though she has a 5lb build. Which is a shocker since I got her from this breeder and both parents were no bigger then 3lbs each! Checked her hips as well and there was only the slightest of pinching in her hips. It was deduced if she were ever to be bred she would make a decent brood mother due to her large size.

My question mainly is, for the girl with the severely pinched hips is there anything health wise I should look out for down the line? I got her from a friend of my cousin who could not keep her anymore.and they did not know her exact age. 3 or 4yrs is what they estimated. She gets around easy enough, I see no struggle to hop around and boy can she scurry if startled!

Personally, I would have them all checked over by a rabbit-savvy vet. I assume you will want them vaccinated and neutered so would book them in for a health check so you can discuss with the vet.

@Babsie I live in the USA where we don't have vaccinations for rabbits. The two older girls (Lucy and Bunnicula) I am saving up to neuter. The big girl (Maleficent) was actually bred very recently. The breeder donated a mini Rex male and I donated my girl to help her with a breeding goal.

Hm, that sounds like that friend of yours is quite competent.

I've never heard that pinched hips are any problem as long as you do not breed her. There isn't much you change anyway.

Back