• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Grinding

riaob1

Warren Scout
My new buns has a very slight tooth grind, but not sure if this is due to poor diet before - he eats more mix than hey but I suppose it wil take him a while to get used to hey. I am slowly taking him off the mix and onto pellets and fresh veg and hey and know it will take a bit of time. Or if it is due to boredom, he mainly does it when he is settling down and not for too long but as Bobs had a similar thing that was ctually due to teeth problems (he woulnd't eat hey at all) I am a bit worried that I should being him to the vets!

Do I wait and see what happens, hopefully eating the hey may stop it, I have put it loads of chewwie toys so hopefully he will be OK?

Just a bit paranoid I think :roll: :?

What is he doing at the time of grinding his teeth?

Rob grinds his teeth quietly when he gets a head tickle, and I believe this means he is contented and enjoying it. Loud grinding can be an indication of pain - maybe it would be good to get his teeth checked just in case.

How old is he?

Hi

He is about 5 months and he only grinds when he is relaxing down for a chill (he does it alot) so may just keep an eye on him and see what happens!

Doubt he will be Dash for long maybe willow or summit abit more his personality - not exactly dashing (although he is to look at) lol :D

If he looks chilled and relaxed i.e. stretched out, back legs kicked out etc, and the grinding isn't loud, then my guess would be contentment.

Normally with pain, it would be quite loud grinding, and they would be less likely to be stretched out, and more likely to sit in a hunched position.

That's my experience with Rob anyway - I'm sure there are others with more experience of this :)

Branwen grinds her teeth, seemingly for no reason. Though she is probably just content. We aren't really worried as she is perfectly healthy.

Bruxing!!

That's what tooth-grinding is called - whether by rabbit, rat or human (ask your dentist).

I'm quite used to rats doing this - as a sign of happiness. When they really get going in a mega-happy brux, they have the peculiarity of a certain facial muscle, which the tooth-grinding vibrates, making their eyes boggle...!

I actually didn't know - or had forgotten - that rabbits brux as well. By no means as spectacularly (or as loudly) as rats, I was surprised to realise that Floyd was grinding his teeth lightly, making a faint noise, the edges of his jawline vibrating softly, not long after I got him - during a prolonged face-stroking session.

Intrigued, I looked it up on various rabbit behaviour sites, where it is called the "tooth purr" and is indeed a sign of real enjoyment and happiness, much like a cat's purr.

Like cats, rabbits also "purr" when in great pain or distress (but usually in pain, with rabbits). This tooth grinding is louder, harsher and grating; and usually accompanied by other symptoms such as huddled posture or staring coat... quite different from the delightful subtle purr of the happy rabbit brux.

Cheers Guys

I will take it that he is very happy to be here then lol! He is always stretching out when he does it, although when I picked him up at the sanctuary he was doing it as well and apparently he was falling asleep on me and just hopped in the cage when we went inside bless!!!

Have changed his name to Buster as it suits him far better than Dash! He is wolfing down hey at the moment and is eating fine so will just keep a beedy eye on him.

oh I am in love and Kip is as well I think lol! as she keeps dashing down the ramp in her hutch that faces him and stopping to see if he's looking! Also the cat seems very impressed lol

Libby also gently grinds her teeth sometimes when just sitting and relaxing, or getting attention, I was also a bit worried but after reading that I feel a bit better. Thanks

Back