• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Furminator

Alicia

Mama Doe
Are they worth it? Izzy seems to permanently moult, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, whether it's the weather or what but she has moulted non stop for a good year/18 months. She seems fine with it but she leaves a trail of hair everywhere she goes :lol: I have a small pet grooming kit with a comb, a slicker brush and a bristle brush. I bought a de matt brush from pets at home today but I'm considering a furminator, any opinions on it?

All I remember is that one of our members, Jaysmonkey, used one on one of her rabbits and it cut the rabbit very badly :(

Don't know anything else about them tbh.

I think furminators can be quite harsh on rabbits as their skin is more delicate than say a cat or dog and therefore I personally wouldn't buy one, especially after hearing horror stories about the damage that has been cause to bunnies with them, sorry.

Thank you everyone, just read jaysmonkeys post :( I'll definitely be avoiding the furminator! I bought a de matt brush and I can't get the hang of it, I need to read up on it. I also have an old tangle teezer of mine (I have a new one, we don't share :lol: ) and that seems to get a fair bit out. I'll have a look at the zoom groom thank you, I have no idea why she's moulting so much!

Avoid - even for dogs and cats! They cut the coat rather than strip out the undercoat. Fine for single coated animals but a disaster for double-coated.

I have the small animal furminator & have used it 2-3 times. To me, it is too expensive (mine was a gift) & I prefer a simple flea comb when my bunny molts.

EDIT: I just saw jaysmonkey's thread about ripping their bunny's skin, I haven't read all, but I'd like to point that this was caused by a combination of factors. I'm not saying that anyone should use it on their bunnies or not, but sometimes you have to weight the pros & cons of a tool. Personally, although I find the plain old fllea comb effective enough, I would use the furminator on a very heavy molt to avoid stasis, which is statistically more likely to happen.;)

Last edited:
Back