• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neuter questions

lawz82

New Kit
Hi,
My boy leo was neutered on weds and all went well. When i brought him home i inspected site and he was completely flat and empty sacks. Put him in pen with hay, pellets, water bottle and cucumber (to get some fluids into him) and carrot as he loves his grub but i knew he would eat these. Next day all was well, still flat and eating, drinking, pooping and peeing fine. Checked yest morn and he looked lile he had testicles back as so swollen, so tool him for post op check amd told all was fine. I suppose as he didnt swell straight away i was concerned that 2 days after that he had. He is now back in hutch, with wood chip at litter end, and a folded fleece blanket as a softer alternative for him to lay on. Now this morn he looks really subdued. He usually comes straight to huych door for brekky, offers me a kiss (which hes always done) but this morn nothing.
Hes now laying on blanket and besides from the odd trip to toilet end hes not moving much at all. Checked his op site and all looks good and swelling looks like going down.
Just want to know if this is normal or to be expected. Just concerned as he bounced back very quickly.
Vet did say if his bits still swollen or change in apperance to take bavk and they will give him a shot of Anti inflamatory and antibiotic....
Im probably just worrying too much, as when had doe done she bounced back well, and leo if my first buck ive had done.

I would feel just the same as you - although some difference in behaviour may be expected whilst recovering from neutering - I would be concerned.

PS Did he come home with pain relief?

Last edited:
I was wondering about the painkiller too. All my buns have been sent home with it, so if hes not had any he will most likely be in a little pain. xxx hope the little man is ok. xx

I hope he's back to his normal self soon. No harm in contacting your vets again or taking him back if you are concerned.

I haven't gone though neutering rabbits (but will be soon with our new addition) but I remember when our dog had his op, he totally looked like he still had his bits for a while, till things settled x

Back