• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not good news for Xena. Chronic liver disease advice needed.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Xena went to the vets yesterday and she's lost quite a lot of weight. My vet took some bloods and I got the results today. Basically, her liver isn't working as it should.
The vet wants me to try to get weight back on her. Vet has recommended trying hepatostyl (I think) and zantac to prevent stomach ulcers. She's on metacam and apparently liver problems can make them more prone to stomach ulcers.
Anything I can do for her? Any wild forage that can help to support her? My vet thinks I'll only have her about 6 months. :'( I'm gutted but I knew something was seriously wrong.

I'm so sorry:cry: I don't have any advice but I'm sending lots of vibes for her and hugs for you xx

Sorry no advice, but didn't want to read and run. I'm sure someone will give some sound advice, sending hugs your way xx

awww im so sorry about xena. I have heard milk thistle is good for liver function, but im sure someone will be along soon with some ideas. xxx vibes and hugs sent xx

I'm sorry to hear about Xena :( I was also going to suggest Milk Thistle, but I'm not sure how it should be given. I have a feeling that it can be given as a supplement, rather than the actual plant. I think it has been mentioned on here before, so hopefully someone will have some accurate advice for you.

Poor Xena. :( I hope she has a decent quality of life for a good while yet.

My Selene has a liver tumour and we're treating her palliatively. She gets metacam on quiet days as we're aiming for quality, not quantity of life. Metacam function does go through the liver though. I also give her milk thistle supplement, about 0.4-0.8ml per day and she loves it neat. Jack's- Jane recommended it to me upon Se's diagnosis. She's been diagnosed for about 7 months now, and honestly, she's a somewhat tubby and very naughty rex at the moment. Based on the age we were told, Selene should only be 2.5yrs now, but no one believes that now. She could really be any age, poor soul.

Poor Xena. :( I hope she has a decent quality of life for a good while yet.

My Selene has a liver tumour and we're treating her palliatively. She gets metacam on quiet days as we're aiming for quality, not quantity of life. Metacam function does go through the liver though. I also give her milk thistle supplement, about 0.4-0.8ml per day and she loves it neat. Jack's- Jane recommended it to me upon Se's diagnosis. She's been diagnosed for about 7 months now, and honestly, she's a somewhat tubby and very naughty rex at the moment. Based on the age we were told, Selene should only be 2.5yrs now, but no one believes that now. She could really be any age, poor soul.

I've used milk thistle since I don't know when :)

More recently, I improved a very sick rabbit's liver blood tests by simply it's use, in combo with another herb. Worth a try :)

VB, I am so sorry to read of Xena's latest health struggles. :cry:
I agree with what most have said here. The thing to note when managing liver issues is that it is the one organ (at least in humans, I am not sure of a rabbit's) that can regenerate itself to a point if it is not too badly damaged. If her metacam use has been for awhile, that may have had some effect on her liver. I used to get Mimzy/Pip/Fiver checked fairy regularly since they all needed it for arthritic joints and spines. Mimz has been using it the longest and I honestly am surprised he is still plugging away despite that. It's got to have had some impact, but he hasn't been tested lately.

You have my most fervent vibes for Xena to recover and have more happy times with you yet. You will be in my thoughts (and your Fiver and Shadowfax as well.) xxxxxxx

I have recently used milk thistle too, for a guinea pig. I might even have some you could have, if your vet worked out the dosage.

I am about to buy some suggested liver support and milkthistle. I am going to contact my vet and get the dosage for the milkthistle. My vet suggested hepatosyl for cats and dogs. Will this be ok? I'm going to look at different ones and see which is affordable and most likely to help.
Xena seems to be doing fine but spending a lot of time sitting in one place and hardly moving. She is eating and drinking fine. I just think she doesn't NEED to move now and so enjoying some quiet time. She honestly doesn't seem phased at being alone. I am minding my Aunty's animals this week so Xena has a hamster cage next to her pen. She seemed very interested in the hamster earlier lol. Hopefully she'll enjoy watching her run her wheel all night haha.

Just an update on Xena. She is doing well and eating everything I'm giving her. I've introduced readigrass and she is really enjoying it. She couldn't handle readigrass the last time she had it and it gave her runny poos. She is on zantac atm and thought she might handle it better and so far so good. I have also been giving her a mush of critical care mixed with her pellet dust. She is really loving it and I'm hoping she's putting weight on. Another really good update is that my Mam has suggested we clean out the box room and let her live in there. It's 7ftx7ft so is bigger than the pen she is in now. This can be a more permanent home. My Mam has seen that Xena is happier on her own and Shadowfax and Fiver are much more relaxed without her. I'm gutted that things haven't worked out but I'm glad I've made the right decision to remove her. It also means I can keep an eye on her input and output.

I'm glad that Xena is doing well, and I'm so pleased that your mum has suggested something you are happier with :thumb:

Just an update on Xena. She is doing well and eating everything I'm giving her. I've introduced readigrass and she is really enjoying it. She couldn't handle readigrass the last time she had it and it gave her runny poos. She is on zantac atm and thought she might handle it better and so far so good. I have also been giving her a mush of critical care mixed with her pellet dust. She is really loving it and I'm hoping she's putting weight on. Another really good update is that my Mam has suggested we clean out the box room and let her live in there. It's 7ftx7ft so is bigger than the pen she is in now. This can be a more permanent home. My Mam has seen that Xena is happier on her own and Shadowfax and Fiver are much more relaxed without her. I'm gutted that things haven't worked out but I'm glad I've made the right decision to remove her. It also means I can keep an eye on her input and output.

I am really glad to hear that Xena is doing better. Some of us 'Does of a certain age' do prefer to have our own space ! It sounds as though your Mam is being supportive too which must take a bit of the stress off you.

Glad to hear that Xena is doing better :)

I am really glad to hear that Xena is doing better. Some of us 'Does of a certain age' do prefer to have our own space ! It sounds as though your Mam is being supportive too which must take a bit of the stress off you.

Yes, I'm thinking that she is simply at that age where she just can't be bothered with bunny politics and young'uns running amok. Fiver is far from being a youngbun but he's definitely the one who instigates the mischief.
It seems to be a trend with my animals! Remember Radagast? My little old naked rat who decided to try to castrate his younger cage mate after several months of living together happily. He was so happy on his own lol. Bloody animals.

Yes, I'm thinking that she is simply at that age where she just can't be bothered with bunny politics and young'uns running amok. Fiver is far from being a youngbun but he's definitely the one who instigates the mischief.
It seems to be a trend with my animals! Remember Radagast? My little old naked rat who decided to try to castrate his younger cage mate after several months of living together happily. He was so happy on his own lol. Bloody animals.

Yes, I remember Radagast !! Bless him :love: I think the arrangements for your Bunnies sounds absolutely fine, we need to work with what is right for the individual Rabbits and that can sometimes mean throwing away the 'rule book' !

It sounds like all is going well under the circumstances. Nice that xena gets her own room - good on your mum

Yes. I know she is only allowing her in the spare room because she won't be around for very long but I don't care what her reasons are as long as Xena is happy. I'll try to post some pics of her room. We're tackling it today. Should be fun trying to remove a large bed from a tiny box room!

Back