• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Female rabbit bum

pinkocelot

New Kit
Hi
I'm new to this forum, but would be grateful for some advice. We are a small animal boarding business and are currently looking after a female lop. Since she arrived her bum has been dirty and needs to be cleaned on a daily basis. She has a 'bit' sticking out (not sure what to call it) and it gets droppings stuck in it. It is pink and sore looking.
I have mentioned this to her owner, who says that it has looked like that since she was spayed. It just doesn't look normal to me at all, in fact it looks like what I imagine a prolapse might look like. I would post a pic but my permissions say I can't post attachments.
Her owner says the vet says the reason she has a dirty bum is because she is too fat to clean it herself. Whilst this could be true, her bum just doesn;t look normal at all.
I would be grateful for any advice, but realise this is difficult without being able to see it.

Hi
I'm new to this forum, but would be grateful for some advice. We are a small animal boarding business and are currently looking after a female lop. Since she arrived her bum has been dirty and needs to be cleaned on a daily basis. She has a 'bit' sticking out (not sure what to call it) and it gets droppings stuck in it. It is pink and sore looking.
I have mentioned this to her owner, who says that it has looked like that since she was spayed. It just doesn't look normal to me at all, in fact it looks like what I imagine a prolapse might look like. I would post a pic but my permissions say I can't post attachments.
Her owner says the vet says the reason she has a dirty bum is because she is too fat to clean it herself. Whilst this could be true, her bum just doesn;t look normal at all.
I would be grateful for any advice, but realise this is difficult without being able to see it.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

From what you've said, it needs a rabbit savvy vet to look at it. It doesn't sound right at all.

Perhaps you could persuade the owner to take the rabbit to her vet for exam? If that vet cannot say what the problem might be, or dismisses the rabbit as 'fat', then another vet would be more worthy of her business :D

What area are you in as maybe you could find a rabbit savvy vet on here recommendation and then maybe suggest it to her as what you're saying certainly doesn't sound right and seems like the vet isn't very savvy. You will certainly be doing her a favour if you can get her to a great vet. She may be grateful for your help since she's just believing what she is told which most of us do when we don't have knowledge and a vet should

Thank you very much for your responses. The owner did say she would take her to her vet. I'm just concerned because it's another week yet before she comes back. I think I'll take her to my own vet. Thanks again xx

Thank you very much for your responses. The owner did say she would take her to her vet. I'm just concerned because it's another week yet before she comes back. I think I'll take her to my own vet. Thanks again xx

You're welcome :)

I think it's a very good idea to take her to your own vet. You'll at least find out whether she's uncomfortable and maybe get some pain relief if necessary

Good luck xx

Yes I would and that way you know you'll get an expert opinion. She's very lucky that you are looking after her bunny :)

Back