• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I put weight on my Angora

Bojangles

Young Bun
So I've noticed when I clipped my angora that she was getting abit too thin! I remember reading that angoras need more protein or something in there diets because they produce so much wool. I've tried upping her hard feed slightly but is there any supplement or higher fat/protein feed I can give her?
She has unlimited hay and fresh greens on a night and the vet said she was healthy just a little underweight so it's not a health issue! Thanks in advance
Ps forgot to add I currently feed all my rabbits on burgess excel adult with mint nuggets

Last edited:
Ah that's interesting, I have an angora cross who is slightly underweight. Will be interested to learn ways to add some weight back on. At the moment I am feeding him extra nuggets while I groom him (away from the other 2 rabbits) but to be honest at the moment I'm not getting time to do that as much as I should. His fur is clipped short so doesn't require as much grooming as when it's fully grown!

Ah that's interesting, I have an angora cross who is slightly underweight. Will be interested to learn ways to add some weight back on. At the moment I am feeding him extra nuggets while I groom him (away from the other 2 rabbits) but to be honest at the moment I'm not getting time to do that as much as I should. His fur is clipped short so doesn't require as much grooming as when it's fully grown!

Yeah I feed her extra away from her friend too! They take so much grooming! ive been trying to brush her every night and I use a pet hair dryer to blow all the dead hair out her coat. I wander if they are prone to losing weight. I want to try and fatten her up abit!

I feed my 9 year old nethie porridge oats soaked in warm water to keep her weight up, especially in the winter. It just shows the importance of monitoring weights regularly to keep an eye on health and condition. Hope your poppet does well x

Alfalfa hay, maybe? Just have to watch the levels of calcium in wee, but it has a higher protein level. I give some to my 7.5 year old lop to help keep her weight up.

Back