• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So annoyed with myself.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

So I like to think of myself as a 'good' bunny owner, but I've messed up!

I've been getting email reminders for four of the buns to have their RHD2 repeat, but in the process of planning everything I've realised that their Rhd1/Myxi jabs have lapsed.

I was relying on the vets reminder, but because they had these jabs at a different practice it hasn't been flagged up.

Three of them were due in Jan :oops: and one in March :oops:. I've now booked the jabs for this week, but with a two week gap (that's right isn't it?) they are going to be around ten days late for the RHD2!

I'm kicking myself for this, not only putting them at risk, but now instead of spreading cost throughout the year, I now have 9 jabs due (ones RHD2 isn't due till August) a.s.a.p, plus our two dogs are due their boosters too. Nightmare! x

I wouldn't worry about being 10 days late. The immunity doesn't magically disappear overnight. The important thing is that they will be done.

Easily done! Try not to worry, everything should be fine, immunity wanes over time, it doesn't stop on the due date so you should be OK. As for the financial situation............:roll:

Hi all,

So I like to think of myself as a 'good' bunny owner, but I've messed up!

I've been getting email reminders for four of the buns to have their RHD2 repeat, but in the process of planning everything I've realised that their Rhd1/Myxi jabs have lapsed.

I was relying on the vets reminder, but because they had these jabs at a different practice it hasn't been flagged up.

Three of them were due in Jan :oops: and one in March :oops:. I've now booked the jabs for this week, but with a two week gap (that's right isn't it?) they are going to be around ten days late for the RHD2!

I'm kicking myself for this, not only putting them at risk, but now instead of spreading cost throughout the year, I now have 9 jabs due (ones RHD2 isn't due till August) a.s.a.p, plus our two dogs are due their boosters too. Nightmare! x

I am sure you'll be fine (or the buns will be :))

I'm not sure which you're having done first, but I leave three weeks after the myxi combo before any other jab. Two weeks is fine for after the RHD2 jab :)

At least you've remembered now! xx

I am sure you'll be fine (or the buns will be :))

I'm not sure which you're having done first, but I leave three weeks after the myxi combo before any other jab. Two weeks is fine for after the RHD2 jab :)

At least you've remembered now! xx

Thanks MM, I've been kicking myself.

I've booked them in for the Rhd1/ Myxi first, this week, but hoped I'd only have to wait two weeks before the Rhdv2. Would there be any benefit (other than the gap between) to getting the Rhdv2 first and on time and then the combi in two weeks time? x

Thanks MM, I've been kicking myself.

I've booked them in for the Rhd1/ Myxi first, this week, but hoped I'd only have to wait two weeks before the Rhdv2. Would there be any benefit (other than the gap between) to getting the Rhdv2 first and on time and then the combi in two weeks time? x

The RHD2 is a six monthly booster, is it?

I only say three weeks after the myxi, as it takes that long for a rabbit to get full immunity. I have had rabbits that have bad blood tests within that time frame and their cells have shown that they are still mounting the immune response. I am super-cautious where overloading a rabbit's immune system is concerned, so I would always wait three weeks after the myxi jab.

So ... if the RHD2 is a six monthly booster, then I would have myxi and wait three weeks for RHD2

If the RHD2 is the annual booster, then I would have that done and wait two weeks for myxi jab.

Hope that makes sense. Your vet may say it's fine to do any of them in two weeks time. I just wouldn't!

It's so easily done, don't beat yourself up about it!

I understand about spreading the cost though. A lot of my rabbits are due in 2 week intervals to spread costs too. I'm going to have to do that with my 5 RHD2s due in August. After all, as has already said immunity doesn't disappear the moment the vaccinations are due, it does wane. Hopefully that means all your buns are still protected "enough" even though they are (over)due vaccinations. At least you've caught it now, and are planning to sort it out. :)

Thanks for the replies.

We decided to stick with getting the combi first, as the RHD2 is only just due, as opposed to really overdue. The vet seems happy with just a 2 week gap, but I totally get where you are coming from MM x

Back