• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infusers for rabbits do they work?

rosaleen

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:
I hope someone has experience of these.
My vet has recommended using an infuser to help calm my 2 house rabbits.My neutered/castrated buck BeBe does try to mount my doe Harriet, it happens this time of year. She usually ends up retreating under the low sofa. He'll follow her but can't do anything. However, when he comes out again, she'll happily follow him out going and sitting with him. So not sure how stressed she gets.:roll:
My questions are ; do they work, are they safe? Will they work for me!?:lol:
Is it a sales gimmick or are they/can they be beneficial?
Thanks very much

Hello :wave:
I hope someone has experience of these.
My vet has recommended using an infuser to help calm my 2 house rabbits.My neutered/castrated buck BeBe does try to mount my doe Harriet, it happens this time of year. She usually ends up retreating under the low sofa. He'll follow her but can't do anything. However, when he comes out again, she'll happily follow him out going and sitting with him. So not sure how stressed she gets.:roll:
My questions are ; do they work, are they safe? Will they work for me!?:lol:
Is it a sales gimmick or are they/can they be beneficial?
Thanks very much

Some people have used the Pet remedy infusers. I believe daphnephoebe on here has had success. Perhaps you could drop her a PM? I haven't seen her on here for a while - and I hope she's OK!

I've used the Feliway diffuser for cats. It definitely works for some cats as the one I target will pull his fur out when it runs out. Have also tried some drops (?valerian) for the same cat and it was ignored by him but made some of the others a bit hyper. I didn't know there was one for rabbits.

The behaviour you describe seems pretty normal for rabbits. If both are neutered and there is no physical damage done (fur pulling, biting, etc), I would suggest that they are just doing what rabbits do and are both coping with it OK. Even neutered ones can develop 'spring fever'. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a diffuser for them.

Thank you both so much for replying. Sorry I should have mentioned Shimmer that both rabbits currently have GS, being remedied successfully. The vet thought stress might be a factor. The receptionist said the infuser contains valerian. The buck does pull Harriet's fur but only occasionally and very little. The vet also thought that the mounting is about dominance, which I can understand. However:roll: generally it is Harriet who is in charge when it comes to food(though BB the buck is a laid back slow eater) and she is groomed an awful lot more than doing the grooming - which I've always seen before with does.
I am considering other common denominators for the cause of this double GS. It's on a separate thread.
M Max I forgot to say a HUGE thank you for asking how things were going. I'll work out how to do a PM to daphnephoebe

Last edited:
Some people have used the Pet remedy infusers. I believe daphnephoebe on here has had success. Perhaps you could drop her a PM? I haven't seen her on here for a while - and I hope she's OK!

Hi MM - all okay. Just lots going on in my personal life atm so decided to take a step back from the forum for a bit although I'm still contactable by PM.

Rosaleen - I have replied to your PM but will put a quick & basic reply here.

I use the Pet Remedy plug in diffuser for my two house rabbits.
Its situated in their bedroom although they have free roam of the entire house.
Since I've been using it (around a year now) I've noticed an improvement in the girls bond. Daphne my dominant female gets spring fever really bad and before the diffuser would pluck lots of fur from Phoebe - to the point Phoebe was nervous of having Daphne behind her.
Its a valarian based product but does NOT have a sedative effect which is good. I've not had any negative side effects related to the product and would highly recommend it to anyone with stress & GS prone bunnies. The only downside is when you first use the plug in, there is a strong valarian smell for the first 2 or 3 days which can be fairly sickly, thankfully not long lived though.

Pet Remedy have a facebook page so I recommend going onto their page and reading some of the reviews. It works great for my girls & also my gerbil.
As with every product, it won't work for every animal but this seems to have a much better success rate than say Feliway for cats (works on around 80% of cats) and Adaptil (workso n around 84% of dogs).

Thank you both so much for replying. Sorry I should have mentioned Shimmer that both rabbits currently have GS, being remedied successfully. The vet thought stress might be a factor. The receptionist said the infuser contains valerian. The buck does pull Harriet's fur but only occasionally and very little. The vet also thought that the mounting is about dominance, which I can understand. However:roll: generally it is Harriet who is in charge when it comes to food(though BB the buck is a laid back slow eater) and she is groomed an awful lot more than doing the grooming - which I've always seen before with does.
I am considering other common denominators for the cause of this double GS. It's on a separate thread.
M Max I forgot to say a HUGE thank you for asking how things were going. I'll work out how to do a PM to daphnephoebe

Very welcome :)

Hi MM - all okay. Just lots going on in my personal life atm so decided to take a step back from the forum for a bit although I'm still contactable by PM.

Thank you for letting me know, and thank for the great info on the Pet Remedy diffuser. I have found them to be a very reputable company in the past :)

Back