• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please! Hind leg paresis & diarrhoea

Jasperello

Warren Scout
Hi
Quick overview:
-looking after friends rabbit this weekend
-yesterday she developed sudden hind leg paresis. Friend took to her vet.
-vet suspecting EC I presume as has prescribed liquid panacur for 28days
-Rabbit obviously can't clean herself but has a really bad case of unformed poo and it's everywhere. I'd go as far as to say diarrhoea.
-not eating. Vet prescribed critical care (to harden up the poo apparently)
-told if no better by Monday to take her back

Now, I'm caring for this rabbit this weekend and I'm currently terrified. I'm adamant this rabbit has diarrhoea, and I know exactly what it looks and smells like. There's no mistaking it. And it's bought all the emotions and memories of losing my Millie back to me. And there's no way I'm going to let this little thing suffer the same fate. But apparently it was like this yesterday and all the vet did was prescribe critical care.
So here's me all ready to get the bunny to the emergency vet, I ring my friend up and tell her about the diarrhoea and she says yeah she was like it yesterday...vet said to see how she is over the weekend but if she develops head tilt to take her back. He said she needs to eat two spoonfuls of pellets and hay and the CC.
I told her my story about Millie, how dangerous and how much of an emergency diarrhoea is, but she doesn't sound too concerned.
But I'm terrified it's going to die while I'm looking after it.

It's dragging it's back legs around. But it was perky enough to chin the heck out of the cardboard box I put in its pen (clearly smelt like my bunnies!) it has had a drink out of a bowl. It's not eating hay but did eat a bit of parsley I gave it. No Metacam prescribed, and it is still relatively active.
I know my experience with Millie has made me overreact slightly because this is nowhere near the same scale and state that I came home to find Millie in that day, but still, it's not exactly good whatever the amount is it.

I feel like I need to tell my friend to come home tomorrow and that I can't look after her anymore. She did say if I need to take her to the vet then it's fine, she'll pay but it's out of hours now, and I'm not sure I trust the emergency vets that much either! I really don't know what to do.

If I'm over reacting can someone just kindly tell me please.

There was some occasional round formed poos yesterday apparently along with the sloppy stuff. No formed ones for me yet though and I've had her a few hours.

I know that the stress of a strangers home will not be helping at all but it was a last resort. I appreciate it may well be worsening the situation.

Hi
Quick overview:
-looking after friends rabbit this weekend
-yesterday she developed sudden hind leg paresis. Friend took to her vet.
-vet suspecting EC I presume as has prescribed liquid panacur for 28days
-Rabbit obviously can't clean herself but has a really bad case of unformed poo and it's everywhere. I'd go as far as to say diarrhoea.
-not eating. Vet prescribed critical care (to harden up the poo apparently)
-told if no better by Monday to take her back

Now, I'm caring for this rabbit this weekend and I'm currently terrified. I'm adamant this rabbit has diarrhoea, and I know exactly what it looks and smells like. There's no mistaking it. And it's bought all the emotions and memories of losing my Millie back to me. And there's no way I'm going to let this little thing suffer the same fate. But apparently it was like this yesterday and all the vet did was prescribe critical care.
So here's me all ready to get the bunny to the emergency vet, I ring my friend up and tell her about the diarrhoea and she says yeah she was like it yesterday...vet said to see how she is over the weekend but if she develops head tilt to take her back. He said she needs to eat two spoonfuls of pellets and hay and the CC.
I told her my story about Millie, how dangerous and how much of an emergency diarrhoea is, but she doesn't sound too concerned.
But I'm terrified it's going to die while I'm looking after it.

It's dragging it's back legs around. But it was perky enough to chin the heck out of the cardboard box I put in its pen (clearly smelt like my bunnies!) it has had a drink out of a bowl. It's not eating hay but did eat a bit of parsley I gave it. No Metacam prescribed, and it is still relatively active.
I know my experience with Millie has made me overreact slightly because this is nowhere near the same scale and state that I came home to find Millie in that day, but still, it's not exactly good whatever the amount is it.

I feel like I need to tell my friend to come home tomorrow and that I can't look after her anymore. She did say if I need to take her to the vet then it's fine, she'll pay but it's out of hours now, and I'm not sure I trust the emergency vets that much either! I really don't know what to do.

If I'm over reacting can someone just kindly tell me please.

I think at the very least that rabbit needs Metacam, so yes, I would go for the vet. I feel that X-rays are needed to rule out spinal injury but I doubt that would take place tonight - depends on where you are and what's available to you? As you know, there are several diagnoses for hind leg paresis:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

So if it proves to be E.C. then the Panacur may well be the right thing to do, but Metacam is also necessary.

Are you able to syringe feed her OK? I am calling 'it' her because I can't bear a rabbit to be an 'it' :) Sorry if I'm wrong!

Honestly, I feel you are looking after this rabbit well enough, and if you can bear to, I would stick with it. You may be able to instigate some diagnostics that possibly many not be done if your friend comes back to take the rabbit back tomorrow?

Yes it is a her! I was just rushing to type I wouldn't normally just say it :)
She's a beautiful little girl. I'll try and post a picture later!

Yes i thought that about the Metacam but the vet said something about not wanting to mask the pain apparently!

She let me syringe feed the CC, wouldn't take it herself.
Guess what, she clearly wants me to look silly because she just did a few more formed poos! I'll be keeping a close eye on her!
I thought x rays would have been first port of call but I guess not!

Yes it is a her! I was just rushing to type I wouldn't normally just say it :)
She's a beautiful little girl. I'll try and post a picture later!

Yes i thought that about the Metacam but the vet said something about not wanting to mask the pain apparently!

She let me syringe feed the CC, wouldn't take it herself.
Guess what, she clearly wants me to look silly because she just did a few more formed poos! I'll be keeping a close eye on her!
I thought x rays would have been first port of call but I guess not!

Well depending on what your gut instinct says, you could leave it until tomorrow morning and get a regular appointment? I think Metacam is essential, not only because of pain (and that stops a rabbit from eating) but also because of *inflammation*. This is necessary alongside Panacur anyway, to decrease inflammation within the brain.

I realise it's a difficult situation for you to be in. I hope if you don't get X-rays, that your friend will. Spinal injury will be enormously painful, if that's what it is.

She sounds a darling, but she's bringing back all your old emotions. And you care very deeply and I can see that's upsetting you a lot.

Hug from me xx

I don't have any advice, but I'm sorry that you have been put in this position by your friend, she is very lucky to have you to care for her rabbit so well. Sending lots of vibes for the poorly rabbit and hugs for you xx

Back