• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Probiotics and Emergency Food

Thumps

Alpha Buck
I am assuming the rescues and sanctuaries here keep their own supply of the above things? Do any of you have opinions on which is the better pro-biotics and what is the better powder for syringe feeding?
I find the Supreme Science stuff difficult to actually syringe, I keep getting air blocks in the syringe and then when I do get it going a heap comes out at once which freaks the rabbit out. It doesn't seem to matter how thin I make it either.
My vet uses Bio-Lapis and that is what I have always used since its what Im always handed. Used to use Entrodex as thats what my last vet used. Just wondered if there was any opinions or whether one is better than the other?
What about syringes, where do you get yours? Not sure if my vet ever charges me for these things, kind of scared to ask incase she starts to :lol: I often walk out with a pocket full of syringes and bio lapis but it never seems to get added to the bill!
Angela

My vet 'gave' me Bio-Lapis for Mallen (guinea Pig) - I had to pay for mine though. Can you only get this via the vets or can it be bought from pet shops?

Hi Angela,

we tend to use our normal pelleted rabbit food, and add some very hot water to dissolve the pellets to make a rabbit soup for poorly bunnies.
I too had trouble with the Recovery food as it kept blocking syringes, and in addition is very expensive.
We found making a soup out of usual rabbit pellets works really well, and I tend to add a teaspoon of baby food to the soup too. Extra fibre is important when bunnies are ill as there guts are at risk of slowing down or stopping altogether.

Probiotic Wise I have tried several Brands, but feel the Avipro is the best, but too expensive for us to buy via Vets, so we go straight to the Manufacturers and get it mail order.
I will find the web site link for you later :wink:

I am with Adele, Avipro is the best pro-biotic from Vetark - http://www.vetark.co.uk/

Critical Care is a liquid food that can be given to bunnies which I have had a high level of success with my rabbits, moving onto Supreme recovery when the rabbit feels better able to eat on their own.

Both available from VetArk.

annie

Ohhh how did you get the CC to work? It kept bunging up my syringe. The vets gave me a small 10ml one and some giant 100ml one so it was one extreme to another.

Oh thank you Annie for that brilliant link, Im not sure the Bio Lapis does much as it's only 2g and mixed with 600 ml of water makes it pretty weak I would think.
Adele do you find with the pellet 'soup' you still have the same success rate of getting bunnies back on their feet as you would/did have when using specific recovery foods? Do you syringe the 'soup' or persaude the rabbit to eat itself?
What about syringes? do you buy boxes of 100? I take it I should really be using a fresh syringe each time I give a rabbit baytril even though I only use that bottle for that one rabbit?

Angela

Thumps said:
Adele do you find with the pellet 'soup' you still have the same success rate of getting bunnies back on their feet as you would/did have when using specific recovery foods? Do you syringe the 'soup' or persaude the rabbit to eat itself?(QUOTE THUMPS)

I have tried both the Critical Care/ Recovery mix and the pelleted soup, and I have had equal success with either.
I think the Critical care foods are expensive and as long as you add the baby food to the pelleted soup as well, then you have a very similar content to the brought Critical mix....I do not think it matters which method you use in reality, as long as the rabbit gets some nourishment.

What about syringes? do you buy boxes of 100? I take it I should really be using a fresh syringe each time I give a rabbit baytril even though I only use that bottle for that one rabbit?

Angela
I stick to one syringe for the Baytril for a 7 day course of Baytril or until the syringe breaks.
I keep the syringe in a solution of milton fluid in a cup, between each use, and rinse it out well before administering Baytril. fluids to the bunnies.
This way I only get through a few syringes a week.

Thank you Adele, must admit I was looking at the CC thinking hmmmmm costs an awful lot, I tried the pellet soup with Sophie and although she wouldn't let me give it to her (she wasn't that ill then :lol: ) I did find it easier to skoosh up into the syringe.
Will check what the vets would charge me for the bio lapis and compare it with the avipro. Really must see about getting a selection of syringes from them as well!
Thank you everyone, just one last question :D does anyone use a cream/solution for wounds? Such as the tamodine on the vet ark site or anything herbal?

Angela

Bio Lapis smells awful as well. Was that the protexin professional or soluble Evo had or something completly different that I didn't see?

Angela

I always thought it was to replace the friendly bacteria in the gut, which is often killed by antibiotics. Am possibly wrong though....... :?

I have used Recovery quite a bit and found that the easiest way to do this is to make it thin and then cut off the bottom bit of a 1ml syringe - this then goes up the syringe no problem and the bun doesn't get too much in the mouth at once - you have to feed buns slowly or they can aspirate the food and that is a no, no :shock:
As bunny gets a bit better then the Recovery is popped onto a saucer for bun to lap at.
Now don't forget for those who use Supreme Science Selective - all you have to do is grind the pellets up in a coffee grinder and you have your own supply of Recovery :wink: For those who use the large sacks (like we do :? ) - we split the sack into large buckets and the powder is always there on the bottom - that's your Recovery :lol:

Jaypot said:
Now don't forget for those who use Supreme Science Selective - all you have to do is grind the pellets up in a coffee grinder and you have your own supply of Recovery :wink: For those who use the large sacks (like we do :? ) - we split the sack into large buckets and the powder is always there on the bottom - that's your Recovery :lol:

Well I never!!!! Jay you're brilliant! Never even thought of that :lol:

Back