• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eleanor, Megan and Beatrice (AKA Ellie, Meg and Bea)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you will have seen these pics of my very first Rabbits, but I am having another hop down memory lane..........

...........bought on a whim from Petsmart (now P@H)..................

Oh Jane, they were absolutely gorgeous! I can only imagine how soft they must have been! :love:

How long ago did you have them (if you don't mind me asking)?

Lovely pictures. They look like they were very much loved, as I would expect!

Here's one of my ''first rabbit'' got by my parents and obviously not kept in 100% the best way..she was called ''Sherry'' (shes the big one eating the carrot) *facepalm*

She was New Zealand white that we saved from a farm, we had another rabbit shortly after that and turned out we didn't have two females but a male and a female. So obviously the inevitable happened! :roll: It's amazing how far I've come with regards to rabbit knowledge I think, but I've always been drawn to them as an animal! I do shudder when I look at this image, the hutch, the babies, the carrot!

My Mam always says that considering what we know now she obviously didn't have the best life, but she was always out in the garden all day, which she loved. She used to lie in our dog's kennel and the dog was scared of her so we would go out to see the rabbit in the kennel and the dog sitting out in the rain. Either way I'm glad I know better now, Milo and Finn are lucky bunnies :lol:

Guess we all had to start somewhere!

Lovely pictures. They look like they were very much loved, as I would expect!

Here's one of my ''first rabbit'' got by my parents and obviously not kept in 100% the best way..she was called ''Sherry'' (shes the big one eating the carrot) *facepalm*

She was New Zealand white that we saved from a farm, we had another rabbit shortly after that and turned out we didn't have two females but a male and a female. So obviously the inevitable happened! :roll: It's amazing how far I've come with regards to rabbit knowledge I think, but I've always been drawn to them as an animal! I do shudder when I look at this image, the hutch, the babies, the carrot!

My Mam always says that considering what we know now she obviously didn't have the best life, but she was always out in the garden all day, which she loved. She used to lie in our dog's kennel and the dog was scared of her so we would go out to see the rabbit in the kennel and the dog sitting out in the rain. Either way I'm glad I know better now, Milo and Finn are lucky bunnies :lol:

Guess we all had to start somewhere!

If I posted everything I did wrong when I first had Pet Rabbits it'd make your hair stand on end !! From the very start I got it all wrong. I mean I only went into Petsmart to buy some Dog Biscuits. I had never owned a Rabbit before, I knew absolutely nothing about them. The girls all had a slice of toast (white bread) every morning and that was the least 'bad' thing about their diet !

If I posted everything I did wrong when I first had Pet Rabbits it'd make your hair stand on end !! From the very start I got it all wrong. I mean I only went into Petsmart to buy some Dog Biscuits. I had never owned a Rabbit before, I knew absolutely nothing about them. The girls all had a slice of toast (white bread) every morning and that was the least 'bad' thing about their diet !

When I got Milo and Finn I was told they could have toast. :roll:

I'm thankful for places like this that you can go to now for advice. The rabbit that ended up contributing to these babies being born ended up developing a nasty head tilt, my Mam bless her was devastated and she took him to the vets to be put to sleep humanely, my Grandad wanted to come and ''dispatch'' him in another way :cry: I am so glad she was kind enough to not allow that to happen! She said she literally ran out of the house to the vets because he said he was on his way.

My Grandad was a strange man, he saved many birds and other animals in his time, one magpie he saved wouldn't leave and used to bring them shiny things! But he was ''rough'' if you like. Used to a farming lifestyle. I guess he is to blame for us loving animals at the heart of it all though!

I love seeing peoples old pictures, its like going back in time looking at mine!

Them on the stairs, awesome :D If you tried to arrange it, would never happen! :lol:

Oh toast, that was the 'best' cure for diarrhoea! Charlie might nibble a bit but generally wouldn't eat it: he was too smart for his own good :lol:

If I think back to when we first got Charlie, it was 1987 I think, the internet wasn't even a figment of the general public's imagination. But I had one book about rabbits from the 1970s maybe tell me they should have permanent access to a run, or have as much exercise as possible otherwise, and another 1980s book said that house rabbits were a thing (it was a US book) and what to forage for. The information was out there, but of course it wasn't all good and there was very much a single-bun bias as neutering was considered dangerous! I'm grateful we did the best we could at the time we had whatever information was available :)

My first rabbit Rosie are cream crackers and baked bread (not toast) as it was allegedly good for their teeth.:oops:

Beautiful pictures Jane.:love:

oh wow they were stunning. I used to have buns in a neighbor yard and ate my tea with them. They all shared my jelly and evaporated milk desert :shock: The old lady did used to take me foraging for them though, i wish i would have took more notice at what she was picking instead of just feeding them the buns when we got home. She let me slide down hills on cardboard while she was picking them to stop me mithering lol..

I had a big white bun as a child. Well it was more my dads, he was animal daft. He built it a hutch, and a big attached run on the lawn. I remember it used to jump out of the run (chicken wire :shock:) and run round the garden. My mum was terrified of it, but had to catch it wearing my dads big leather biker gloves. The rabbit, called Snowball :), used to growl at mum :lol:

Your photos are just lovely Jane :love:

Back