• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have rabbits that can't be vaccinated?

lucy24

Mama Doe
As title really. Charlie has kidney issues and because of weight instability and various other things I'm not getting him done. Vet said a few months back it would be risky with his issues as we're trying to keep him stable. Anyone else in same boat?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

For awhile our baby girl deceased now couldnt be vaccinated because of ec. She was indoors we kept her enviroment as sterile as we could until she could be vaccinated. I dont know where you are but maidstone trinity vets know bunnies in a way thats exceptional. A phone call for advice is always answered. Kept our girl happy and comfortable for a precious 2 years more than we could have hoped for.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Yes, I have eight rabbits who are not vaccinated. Due to a Miriad of health issues, it is riskier to vaccinate than not. There may come a time when it's riskier to not vaccinate (such as if we have rhd on the premises) and then they will all be vaccinated.

All my rabbits are currently vaccinated, but I have withheld vaccinating in the past due to health issues - rabbit in question is now stable. :)

Thanks for the replies. Nice to know he's not the only one. Thankfully my vet is really good he even shaved Charlies bottom today for free when I took another one in as was worried about flies and had got matted. (Charlie was not happy)

Yes, I have eight rabbits who are not vaccinated. Due to a Miriad of health issues, it is riskier to vaccinate than not. There may come a time when it's riskier to not vaccinate (such as if we have rhd on the premises) and then they will all be vaccinated.

By then it will probably be too late :(

To answer OP's question - I have in the past had rabbits who the vet wouldn't vaccinate because of their fragile state of health. Fortunately all of them were perfectly fine from a myxi/vhd1 + 2 point of view :)

By then it will probably be too late :(

To answer OP's question - I have in the past had rabbits who the vet wouldn't vaccinate because of their fragile state of health. Fortunately all of them were perfectly fine from a myxi/vhd1 + 2 point of view :)

Not at all. We had a lot of unvaccinated rabbits here in 2010 when we lost 5 rabbits to vhd. We immediately vaccinated all of them and no more got it, although five did succumb to the effects of being vaccinated over the next month, a far more prolonged affair than the disease. So the score was equal. Damned if you do and if you don't:( I actually doubt that it spreads quite as easily as it is reputed to. Two unvaccinated does survived despite their partner dying of it. We found him propped up in between them, just gone. They were vaccinated that day and were fine. We still have lots of unvaccinated rabbits here. In total over the years we have lost far more to the vaccines than to the disease. We only ever lost one to myxo. We have at least twenty rabbits over the age of ten, and probably 70 over six. I can virtually guarantee that many of them wouldn't still be around if we had insisted on vaccinating them as they got older, they have actually become healthier as they got older perhaps as that stressor was no longer inflicted on them every year. We have fewer chronicly ill rabbits than we did when we had the younger largely vaccinated population, and remember they often come to us because of a health problem. If you live somewhere with wild rabbits coming into the garden of course you would have to vaccinate oldrer or sick rabbits, but otherwise the risks need to be considered carefully.

Last edited:
Back