• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit of a rant..

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
so we went on a little holiday this weekend to a caravan site. just the usual we do once a year to get away etc.

last time i asked my neighbour to step in to help with the rabbits. she used to own rabbits so i figured maybe she'd be clued in and she was more than happy to help. what i returned too i was not happy about. hay all over the floor, water bottles had green in them, they clearly hadn't been fed their pellet as asked. she never gave them their greens and fed them way too much carrot (their litter trays were almost entirely white!). snoopy ended up quite sick with his sensitive tummy.

and then sherlocks food - we walked in to the stink of rotting cat food. clearly she never thought to change it out after a few hours...

so we asked a pet sitter (former vet) to step in. sadly though he had a family emergency and couldn't do it. so at such short noticed said neighbour had to be involved again.... :roll:

and it wasnt great this time either in all honesty.

once again there is hay all over the floor. not sure how as its in a box next to the cage but all over there is now hay.

thankfully she had fed veggies and pellet as asked (egg cup a day and a handful of coriander/rocket). i presume she was let out as asked but I have no idea.

but of course, this time hay was an issue. i told her luna much prefers her hay in the cardboard box (that she can also destroy). we've noticed she doesn't enjoy trying to get it from a hay rack or something she has to work for, I think its as she cant see so she whacks her nose or loses the toy with it in lol. she eats much more in the box than anything else. but of course she also poops in it so usually at the end of the day i throw it all out. we have a massive £5 bale so its not much of an issue!

upon inspection she never threw out the soiled hay. there was a lot but i figured maybe she didnt know as i know how much my bunny eats etc. nope - the bin i asked for the soiled hay to be thrown in is empty and the box is full of wet and pooped in hay. i also suppose she never got her pellet today as the bowl is peed and pooped in! so im not entirely sure how much hay, if much at all, that the little one has eaten over the weekend.

it just never seems she can do right. i appreciate her help but i lined out what i wanted very clearly and left written notes too!

along with that she also lost our key and had to drive to us to get a spare one, thankfully we're only 2 hours away from home so its not so bad. but even so!

its hard enough leaving her as it is, nevermind ending up worrying about the care she would receive.

im honestly not sure what to think :?

I think because we are clued up on bunnies, we can be very particular (and rightly so!) about how we want their care to be. It does sound as if your neighbour isn't best suited to look after your bunnies, but I'd simply thank her and learn from it this time, and next time, either book a reliable pet sitter (not your fault the last one let you down, but maybe have a plan B in place that doesn't involve said neighbour!) or bunny boarding so you can ensure they receive the level of care you're happy with :thumb:

Personally I'd be very grateful said neighbour stepped in again at such late notice for you when you were let down, she didn't have to - even if she perhaps didn't get it all quite right, it sounds to me as if she has tried to help. It's such a big responsibility that it is often best left to the professionals :wave:

Last edited:
Back