• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess /Loose / Hanging Skin behind front leg.

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I have just noticed that Oliver has what appears to be excess floppy skin behind his front right leg. It looks a bit like when I give him sub q fluids and when the fluids fall down his leg. He had his fluids at 9am this morning, it wouldn't still be there would it ? I have felt the skin and it doesn't feel like there is fluid there just more skin. I thought he might be not putting as much weight on that sodw but i could be imagining it.Any ideas what it could be ?? He is for the vet tomorrow so will get him checked then. I am stressing again about sedation for potential bladder flush. He is still spotting even with sub q fluids. When I lifted him earlier he peed when he was mid lift. He always pees every time I lift him when I set him down, that's not normal - it's xray flush time isn't it?? We tried the 6 weeks if baytril and extra fluids so I think it looks like we have no choice but to xray. I worry so much about sedation even though he has been fine 3 times now.

Last edited:
I've no idea Nickbunny but didn't want to read & run. Sending lots of vibes for Olivers appointment. Does your vet do conscious xrays?

I know it's kinda weird! Hope it's nothing serious. No Joey, I don't think she does, besides if he needs a bladder flush he will have to be sedated :( thank u for your vibes x

Could be a number of things and I don't wanna stab in the dark.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have just noticed that Oliver has what appears to be excess floppy skin behind his front right leg. It looks a bit like when I give him sub q fluids and when the fluids fall down his leg. He had his fluids at 9am this morning, it wouldn't still be there would it ? I have felt the skin and it doesn't feel like there is fluid there just more skin. I thought he might be not putting as much weight on that sodw but i could be imagining it.Any ideas what it could be ?? He is for the vet tomorrow so will get him checked then. I am stressing again about sedation for potential bladder flush. He is still spotting even with sub q fluids. When I lifted him earlier he peed when he was mid lift. He always pees every time I lift him when I set him down, that's not normal - it's xray flush time isn't it?? We tried the 6 weeks if baytril and extra fluids so I think it looks like we have no choice but to xray. I worry so much about sedation even though he has been fine 3 times now.

If the fluids have fallen down his leg before, I am tempted to think it's loose skin created because of that. Perhaps now you've moved to three times weekly it's having more of a lasting effect on the skin tissue?

Personally I wouldn't worry, but good he's being checked over tomorrow.

I expect he will just have a light sedation for his X-ray? Do they then decide on the spot whether to flush, or do you make another appointment?

I hope that's all it is, loose skin. Yes Max they can decide on the spot to flush which is good. Do you think xray is a good idea at this stage ?? I post the same query every time any of my buns might need an xray. I always worry I am putting him at risk unnecessarily. He does do a small amount of teeth grinding too not often bit I notice it daily for short times.

Thanks Omi x

I hope that's all it is, loose skin. Yes Max they can decide on the spot to flush which is good. Do you think xray is a good idea at this stage ?? I post the same query every time any of my buns might need an xray. I always worry I am putting him at risk unnecessarily. He does do a small amount of teeth grinding too not often bit I notice it daily for short times.

Thanks Omi x

I think if the vet feels his bladder, and he's uncomfortable at all, then I would probably want to see what was going on.

I guess you and the vet are keeping a note of any pattern with the sludge? That is, after how long does his bladder need flushing usually? Is it that time again, even though you've upped the fluids?

I know exactly what you mean though. Putting them through a GA is always a risk. Does he eat well afterwards, or does he take a while to recover? xx

Yes I do keep track, it has been nearly a year since the last flush, 10 month prior to that and around a year the time before that. So I guess he would be due, but I thought with the fluids we would have gotten longer. I will see how he responds to the vet examining him tomorrow. I will get her to check a urine sample for infection again also. He usually recovers quite well afterwards, he was very sore last time and needed tramadol for a couple if days after but was then ok. No syringe feeding or anything. As he is my only baby left I am even more protective and anxious. I guess I can't second guess the vet, will see what she says. Thanks xx

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver is having bladder issues. :( All of my bunnies have had sludge/stone issues and yet none of my vets have ever offered a bladder flush, they just insisted I get them to drink more water, make them move more and give sub q fluids.
Each of my bunnies had a different rate of dispersal of the fluids. Mimzy would usually soak them up immediately while both Pip and Fiver would tend to go more slowly and yes, I'd see the 'baggy skin' on the rear of the front leg. Sometimes it would last long enough I'd get concerned, but it never caused an issue and eventually the fluid would go away.

I hope Oliver's procedure goes well and that he's feeling better soon. Healing vibes on the way for him, and (((((hugs))))) for you. I know this kind of thing should be an easy fix, but of course any time they need a GA it sets us on edge. xxxxxx

Thank you Mimzmun, sludge is really frustrating, I found the flushes always helped Oliver alot, wonder why your vet never suggested it? Would you have wanted them flushed? That's interesting about the fluids dispersing at different rates in different buns, Olivers usually disperses within an hour or so, but maybe it falling down his leg all the time has maybe stretched the skin over time?? Thank u for your vibes and hugs, much appreciated xx

Thank you Jane, no they don't usually, should I get one done thus time? ? Is it to check kidney function? ?

I'd ask the Vet if she thinks it may be a good idea to have a general blood profile run this time. That would check on his kidney function amongst other things :)

Well vet gave Oliver thorough examination, expresses urine and no sludge came out and spun his urine sample and tested it and showed normal sludge levels and no infection present. She said she couldn't feel any sludge in his bladder. So we are going to try a glucosamine supplement to see if that helps and as he has only been on the extra fluids 2 weeks continue with those . His ear infection hasn't returned so that's great news. So I am glad he didon't need a flush and she thinks it's bladder imflamation still but said of no improvement in 4 weeks to come back to maybe xray. So he will continue with metacam as well. He was eatting his hay bale in the vets too so he isnt too stressed by it all. Glad to have him checked over.

Well vet gave Oliver thorough examination, expresses urine and no sludge came out and spun his urine sample and tested it and showed normal sludge levels and no infection present. She said she couldn't feel any sludge in his bladder. So we are going to try a glucosamine supplement to see if that helps and as he has only been on the extra fluids 2 weeks continue with those . His ear infection hasn't returned so that's great news. So I am glad he didon't need a flush and she thinks it's bladder imflamation still but said of no improvement in 4 weeks to come back to maybe xray. So he will continue with metacam as well. He was eatting his hay bale in the vets too so he isnt too stressed by it all. Glad to have him checked over.

this all sounds positive, you can relax a little now x Is the baggy skin fluid related?

Back