• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping pets cool?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
wasn't too sure where to put this one lol.

either way i have 3 hamsters and a bunny to keep cool this year. and its already 30c and they're all suffering :shock: little robo robbie is sleeping in his wheel as hes too hot and ellie is lying on a shelf, i thought she was dead! rex is rex and still chooses to sit in a nest.

i also have luna who is getting a lot of wetting on the ears and coat to keep her cool. not exactly her favourite thing in the world but she gets a little petting afterwards and she forgives me.

ive got some old tiles ive been offering them. ellie tries to eat it, rex ignores it and robbie sits on it! (luna tried to smash hers)

i was thinking about making up some icecubes and putting a few pieces of fruit in each one. so one icecube might have some tomato, another carrot, another coriander and so on. but ive read so much different info.. one place says rabbits shouldnt be given icy water, another they shoudnt have cold water, another no ice cubes, another says ice cubes are fine, one says icy water is fine.. i think you catch my drift :lol:

so.. its it okay to offer them cold icecubes like a little ice lolly for the bun ? if anything in this weather luna refuses to drink warm water and much prefers fridge cold water. i offered her some water and i got a "really mom?", grabbed some from the fridge and she licked the glass clean!!

and are there any other ways to keep her (and the hams) cool? ive tried the water bottle method of freezing it but luna just tries to ruin the bottle :roll: :roll:

I've not found anything works as well as the tiles. They actually use them!

7724c24955d82ebcc971115428a0b601.jpg

27f17e4da6f2c70cf4f8b8f45f9e114e.jpg

I had icepods but they generally ignore them in favour of the tiles. I have in the past soaked a towel, put it on the floor and then turned on my ceiling fan. They don't sit on the towel but it seems to really cool down the room.

A damp towel draped over to create shade seems to cool the air.

My girls get frozen veg/fruit put into water bowls to keep water cooler for longer. They always get cold water in summer - it soon warms up anyway.

Hammies and gerbils get a ceramic mug to sleep in as it generally stays cool.

I have a marble slate for the girls room, they'll often lay with their ears on it.

I wet their ears and I also on really bad days put a little surgical spirit on the outside of their ears as surgical spirit really cools down a surface as it evaporates.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I tried to give Sonic a frozen water bottle, but he got stroppy, threw it across his hutch and bit various holes in said bottle -.-

luna really does not care for the tiles. i have caught her five times now trying to throw it out the door or throw it in general!!! she's such a little mare :lol:

I'll have a look at a damp towel. we have no ceiling fan, nada to keep cool in this house :x

i'll probably make some icecubes as they loved that last year, i brought an extra bowl and placed a bit of squash in (very small amount), little bits of carrot, tomato, coriander, dil and a few other bits i cant remember. they both attacked it and i had to make another within two days o.o

and supersonic, that was luna! apparently we have grumpy little buns who dont appreciate our help :lol:

I put water in 4 pt plastic milk bottles, which i freeze overnight. In the morning, i wrap a towel round each bottle and put them in the rabbit hutches. Charlie and Heather love them and lay alongside each. During the day I also refresh their water bowls and add a couple of ice cubes. For Piccolo the hamster i find she's cool enough. We leave the windows open at night, then in the morning close the windows and pull the curtains. Our house is a hundred year old semi. it stays cool during the day.

Mine loves his coming mat, and today has finally realised what an icepod is a d how good it is to lie near or put paws on

luna really does not care for the tiles. i have caught her five times now trying to throw it out the door or throw it in general!!! she's such a little mare :lol:

I'll have a look at a damp towel. we have no ceiling fan, nada to keep cool in this house :x

i'll probably make some icecubes as they loved that last year, i brought an extra bowl and placed a bit of squash in (very small amount), little bits of carrot, tomato, coriander, dil and a few other bits i cant remember. they both attacked it and i had to make another within two days o.o

and supersonic, that was luna! apparently we have grumpy little buns who dont appreciate our help :lol:

Wow! How does she manage that?! What about a heavier tile? Maybe a marble one? That would stay lovely and cool.

Wow! How does she manage that?! What about a heavier tile? Maybe a marble one? That would stay lovely and cool.

there just kitchen tiles from when the kitchen was done years ago. they're not very heavy at all lol. will have to invest in more

My buns took all their hay out of the hay rack and moved it to the other side of the room, so I moved the hay rack to the other side of the room for them thinking it was too hot where it had been. By the following morning they had moved the hay rack back to the original spot but left the hay.:roll:

I use large heavy slate mats which I put in the freezer for half an hour or so before I put it in their room before I go to work, Bob uses it but not until later in the day and Kizzy seems to have little interest in it.

I would go with tiles too. I bought Doughnut a cooling mat, nibbled in 5 minutes, gel coming out so thrown. Bought an ice pod won't sit on it. Got a tile out, she loves it!

I would go with tiles too. I bought Doughnut a cooling mat, nibbled in 5 minutes, gel coming out so thrown. Bought an ice pod won't sit on it. Got a tile out, she loves it!

Oh doughnut lol, chase started liking his ice pod now after a few goes of scratching and trying to bite it, he realized it wasn't an ice lolly and something cool to lie near

Oh doughnut lol, chase started liking his ice pod now after a few goes of scratching and trying to bite it, he realized it wasn't an ice lolly and something cool to lie near

She's a little monkey. Hopefully she will like the ice pod then, she did lick the water off it when it was defrosting but that's about it!

Back