• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh my God! Please Please HELP.

Clio can hardly breath. all his glands are swollen and he is breathing through his mouth. I have Penecillin injections to use once daily but what can I do to save him tonight?
I am so very worried. :cry:

Breathing difficulties

Signs: Open mouthed breathing, panting, extended head and neck, greyish blue tongue, big movements of the chest and abdomen during inhale. Usually accompanied by a reluctance to change position or lie down.
Make sure your bun's nose is clear of any blockage. If you see any "snot," hold a warm wet washcloth against her nose for a minute or two if she will tolerate it (be careful not to obstruct the mouth). Then gently try to remove the blockage with your fingers or tweezers. Be sure to go slowly - this is a sensitive area and you don't want to add any stress!
Once you're satisfied that her nose is as clean as you can reasonably get it, wrap her loosely in a towel (be careful not to cover her head) and place her in a cool, dry, dark carrier. Get to the vet.

Lynda is right - do all those things and get to the vet asap - it could be anaphalaptic shock!
Clio really needs urgent attention - please let us know how he is.
Sending all the healing vibes in the world to Clio.

Why is Clio on Bicillin and how long has he been on it?

Do some buns get reactions to penicillin like humans? This would be interesting to know.

I am keeping a watch on the post to see how Clio is doing. Much love sent to him.

The vet sent her/him home tonight to die. The said they can't do anything at the vet that I can't do at home.
I have just returned from an emergency 30 mile drive to Bobtails Rabbit Rescue where Delia gave me a sachet of Bisolvin to try as a last resort. He seems to be rallying. he is still eating and drinking, peeing and pooing so I'm hoping a good sign. I'll keep you posted.
There was no warning. I woke up yesterday and he was very sick. Don't know why. The vet has aspirated one of his glands and we'll have the results tomorrow from the lab. Hang in there Cleo my gorgeous gorgeous.

oh my god, how terrible. hang on in there bun.

bernie found it comforting to just be held, all wrapped up and stroked gently while she was in pain a few nights ago. someone gave me the advice of holding her against my chest to be comforted by the sound of my heartbeat. i have to say it really did seem to work.

i wish you all the best, both of you.

awwwww Just keep him warm and heaps of love. I hope he pulls throu and the vets results come in and help can be given.

Thinking of you both

bronie

Holly Go lightly, we are so sorry to hear about poor Clio...you are very much in our thoughts.
How is Clio today??

Big hug, from Adele and all the Sanctuary bunnies

Adele said:
Holly Go lightly, we are so sorry to hear about poor Clio...you are very much in our thoughts.
How is Clio today??

Big hug, from Adele and all the Sanctuary bunnies

Alive!
I am still really worried as his glands are soooo swollen and hard. He is really working hard at breathing but he is at least lying down rather than just standing there panting like last night. He was breathing throuh his mouth and really struggling. Exactly like Bunny Hugger decribed. It was awful. I though he was going to pack it in at least once and hour. He has had his 3rd penecillin injection this morning. I am hoping it will start to make a difference today. He has had his brekkie and some water so at least his guts haven't given up.

Was he swollen like this before the bicillin treatment? Only I have a penicillin allergy and it comes on exactly as you describe. I swell up like a balloon and it's really difficult to breathe.

Bertie said:
Was he swollen like this before the bicillin treatment? Only I have a penicillin allergy and it comes on exactly as you describe. I swell up like a balloon and it's really difficult to breathe.

Yes terribly swollen. Under his chin. behind his knees and in his cheeks (which is why he is struggling to breathe). His lungs sound terrible.
The vet wanted to get him on antibiotics straight away even before the lab results. If it is an infection, we are already fighting it. If not, I'll have to think about what to do.

Ok then. Well it sounds like it is an infection, given that his glands are all swollen, the question is of what. :?

I hope the antibiotics kick in for him today, I'll get my lot to send you some good bunny mojo.

Bertie said:

Sending lots of healing vibes to Clio!

I also have a Penicillin allergy. Last time I had it I was a baby. I ended up in hospital with yellow spots in my mouth and breathing problems.

Louise

Oh please hang in there and keep fighting little Clio. Thinking of you and your mum at this very worrying time.

Back