• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allergies

Hills

Young Bun
Hello everyone!

So my bunny Louis has snuffles, and has been constantly sneezing recently. After speaking to my vet I changed his hay to dust extracted hay and he seems so much better! (Yay!), but today I've come home from work and I've noticed him sneezing. It has been very hot and muggy today so could it be that? I'm assuming he has allergies to dusty hay but just wondered if the weather can trigger it off too?

Oh and he is an indoor bun (my window is always open).

Thanks [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone!

So my bunny Louis has snuffles, and has been constantly sneezing recently. After speaking to my vet I changed his hay to dust extracted hay and he seems so much better! (Yay!), but today I've come home from work and I've noticed him sneezing. It has been very hot and muggy today so could it be that? I'm assuming he has allergies to dusty hay but just wondered if the weather can trigger it off too?

Oh and he is an indoor bun (my window is always open).

Thanks [emoji846]

Yes, the weather can make a difference. Only in severity though - I find an allergic bun is allergic all year round :)

However, sneezing may be a sign of something else, as you probably know. The fact you say he has snuffles - is there discharge, and is it ever white?

Sometimes a flare up of their bacterial infection can also cause repeated sneezing, so bear that in mind. Allergies and snuffles can mimic one another :)

Yes, the weather can make a difference. Only in severity though - I find an allergic bun is allergic all year round :)

However, sneezing may be a sign of something else, as you probably know. The fact you say he has snuffles - is there discharge, and is it ever white?

Sometimes a flare up of their bacterial infection can also cause repeated sneezing, so bear that in mind. Allergies and snuffles can mimic one another :)

Thank you for your reply!

Before I changed his hay he was sneezing daily (white discharge) which I assume is because of the snuffles? Changed the hay to dust extracted hay then he stopped sneezing and was so much better in himself! But today he's gone back to sneezing, red eyes and seems a bit down.

Could the weather have caused the snuffles to maybe flare up!?

Thanks [emoji846]

Before I changed his hay he was sneezing daily (white discharge) which I assume is because of the snuffles? Changed the hay to dust extracted hay then he stopped sneezing and was so much better in himself! But today he's gone back to sneezing, red eyes and seems a bit down.

Thanks [emoji846]

Generally speaking I would say no. Snuffles flaring up would be down to a depleted immune system.

However, the pollen etc in the atmosphere could be affecting him? What you've described there with the red eyes etc sounds more like an allergic reaction.

No white discharge at the moment?

Thanks [emoji846]

Personally I would get your Rabbit examined by your Vet again. It is important to get on top of treating a bacterial infection promptly, if it is an infection he has. Of course that can only be determined from an examination by a Rabbit savvy Vet. He may require both systemic antibiotics and a topical antibiotic treatment for his sore eyes.

Hot humid weather can exacerbate symptoms for Rabbits with chronic 'snuffles'. Rabbits find hot weather stressful, physiological stress which impacts on their immune system. Sinus pain is one thing that can occur, so some non steroidal analgesia and nebulising the Rabbit can be beneficial. Sinus pain will make the Bunny seem 'down'.

Is your Bunny fully vaccinated ?

I hope he will soon be feeling better x

Last edited:

Thanks [emoji846]

Have you tried using echinacea to boost his immune system and see whether the sneezing diminishes?

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Generally speaking I would say no. Snuffles flaring up would be down to a depleted immune system.

However, the pollen etc in the atmosphere could be affecting him? What you've described there with the red eyes etc sounds more like an allergic reaction.

No white discharge at the moment?

Someone else said about the pollen so maybe it is that. TBH it looks like the white discharge has stopped since changing the hay (touch wood!!).

Personally I would get your Rabbit examined by your Vet again. It is important to get on top of treating a bacterial infection promptly, if it is an infection he has. Of course that can only be determined from an examination by a Rabbit savvy Vet. He may require both systemic antibiotics and a topical antibiotic treatment for his sore eyes.

Hot humid weather can exacerbate symptoms for Rabbits with chronic 'snuffles'. Rabbits find hot weather stressful, physiological stress which impacts on their immune system. Sinus pain is one thing that can occur, so some non steroidal analgesia and nebulising the Rabbit can be beneficial. Sinus pain will make the Bunny seem 'down'.

Is your Bunny fully vaccinated ?

I hope he will soon be feeling better x

Thank you for your reply, he is due in to have his injections in the next couple of weeks so I'm going to take the vet a long list! He seems better today which is good. Yes fully vaccinated [emoji846]. Thank you x

Back