• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treats for Rabbits

sammy123

Young Bun
I remember reading on here the other day the fruit can be used as a treat, i have an 8 week old rabbit and im not too sure which fruits i can give her??? or how much??? and how often??? Any advise? Sammy :oops:

My bunny loves banana, and also eats apple, dried pineapple and dried mango. You should only feed a little bit of fruit at a time, as it is high in sugar, and be very careful when introducing new foods to a young bunny.

At only 8 weeks I wouldn't introduce fruit as its more likely to upset her tummy than veg.

I presume at 8 weeks you've only just got her so feed her on hay and the food she was eating where you got her from. Give her time to settle in before gradually introducing small pieces of veg.

Tam

Mine love berries. They'd each of them kill the other five if there was a blueberry in it for them. Strawberries tops are a firm favourite. I don't bother with the rest of the strawberry, but when we're having strawberries we cut out the green bits and give them to the buns. When I've given them whole strawberries they've attacked the tops and then taken hours to get through the fruit. They like apple, but remember to remove the seeds first. Every other fruit has given fairly mixed results.

Chips will eat a grape, but he'll pull some very funny faces. The others just roll them around on the floor for a bit. Melon got eaten eventually. Only a couple of them will eat banana.

I tend not to give them very much fruit at all. Maybe once or twice a month. My lot prefer eating veg to be honest. But the good thing about berries is that they're small, so it's easy to dish them out in small amounts.

The best bunny treat I have come across is half a slice of rock hard dried Wholemeal or Granary bread.

Mine all love this! :D

Louise

Yeah louise.. mine loves it too! The only fruit i give him is a bit of banana when i have one. He isnt keen on much else, prefers carrots, cabbage and some herbs.
But as tam says bit too young for veggies and fruit yet.
Chris

Blueberry loves dried blueberries!!

She also LOVES apple she can sniff it out a mile away! She has also tried pineapple and grapes and likes both.

I only give her fruit occassionally though, except the blueberries as they are small and I use them as a reward for letting me put in eyedrops or after a brushing session.

I tend to give herbs or ryvita as a more frequent treat.

Is a tomato a treat food as it is a fruit? Or as its a more 'savoury' fruit can it be given with evening veg dinner on a daily/regular basis?

beck said:
She also LOVES apple she can sniff it out a mile away! She has also tried pineapple and grapes and likes both.

Mine will also kill for Apple!

With my bonded trio I've got to make sure everybodys got a bit or WW3 breaks out! :lol:

Louise

Both of mine absolutely love peanuts (not the salted variety, the ones you buy for birds)

I get a small mineral water bottle put a handful in the bottle and they will roll it, throw it, push it around until they get them out.

One of mine goes absolutely crazy for them.....I only have to shake the bottle and he will come running.

Keeps them occupied too which is good.

They do have very large pointy teeth, and once or twice I've caught Sheffield flying round the kitchen, using his ears as wings.

My last bunnie loved monket nuts. Used to chomp through the outside and then into the nut inside. I am sure I am going to get told off for that now ;-(

ellepotter said:
The best bunny treat I have come across is half a slice of rock hard dried Wholemeal or Granary bread.

Mine love a small piece of cream cracker or Ryvita as an occasional treat... a piece about the size of a 2p piece. Useful as a training aid... bribe... and it's always good to know there's something your bun will go really really crazy for... Many a rabbit off its food has been tempted to eat with its favourite bribe!

On the subject of apples, where I pick greens on some wild reclaimed land locally, there are a few wild rabbits. It's an amazing place, I find something new & surprising every time I go - yesterday I discovered a pear tree with edible pears!

There's also a huge fig tree, grape vines, asparagus (!) and a whole host of feral apple trees. Underneath one of these yesterday was half a windfall apple, with the tell-tale marks of bunny teeth all over it! Seems the wild ones like apples too :)

ellepotter said:

Mine all love this! :D

Louise

Mine too. BIG TIME!!!!!
In small doses a bit of rock hard granary or seeded toast is the business.

all mine love shredded wheat they all get half of one on a sunday after the visitors have gone, i think they only behave well on a sunday because of this :lol:

KATHY said:
all mine love shredded wheat they all get half of one on a sunday after the visitors have gone, i think they only behave well on a sunday because of this :lol:

What do you mean... their halos slip :angel: :lol: gotta love um!

Back