• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

DEVASTATED advice needed asap

I have had the worst weekend ever. we lost tiggi on friday suddenly. she looked asleep when we found her. No leaking from back end no blood anywhere, nothing. Last night cosmo was acting quiet but i thought maybe he is missing tiggi but this morning he is still quiet and looks different. i cant explain it any other way. Ive rang the vet and told them i think its vhd and they are going to ring me back after consulting. i need some advice incase my vet doesnt know. if i gave the rest of them the vhd injection would it stop any of the others dying. I really cant cope with this and i am in bits. has anyone had a vhd death and the other rabbits lived. i need some hope but i need honesty more. :cry:

Santa was one of the first to experience confirmed VHD2 in unvaccinated rabbits in UK (just before the Filavac vaccine came in to UK) she had the rest vaccinated a short while (days/week or so) later and only lost one rabbit. It's difficult to say whether it was natural immunity or the vaccine. I'll find her blog as reading that will be better than my account. It only takes one week to establish immunity so it might protect them (in my opinion it would definitely be worth trying).

I'm really sorry for your loss and potential that's going on for you. I hope you don't lose any more.

Link to the blog as described above: https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/

This map might also be of interest:

http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk/index.php?&p=cases

This Facebook group will be a good resource for you too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

Last edited:
Oh I am so sorry that you have lost Tiggi :cry:

Regarding VHD, what is the vaccination status of your remaining rabbits for VHD1 and 2? A PM would have been the only way to confirm the cause of Tiggi's death. I think the situation regarding immunity post vaccination (if they are not covered already) is 3 weeks for VHD1 (part of combivac) and 1 week for VHD2, but I am sure someone will be able to confirm that.

I've not had any experience with either, but I think Santa has with VHD2. You could maybe send her a PM.

W&S - I'm so sorry. I'm no expert but I'm sure vaccinations would go a long way in protecting your other buns & I'd push for this now. I've read on here that RHVD2 can now be tested for with blood or poo.

From FHB site : The RHDV2 is less virulent than the original strain. It has a lower and variable mortality rate (5-70% with an average of 20%). It can also affect rabbits under 4 weeks old.
Although rabbits can die suddenly, some can recover and others may show no clinical signs at all.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

wishing you all the vibes in the world xx

Oh I am so sorry that you have lost Tiggi :cry:

Regarding VHD, what is the vaccination status of your remaining rabbits for VHD1 and 2? A PM would have been the only way to confirm the cause of Tiggi's death. I think the situation regarding immunity post vaccination (if they are not covered already) is 3 weeks for VHD1 (part of combivac) and 1 week for VHD2, but I am sure someone will be able to confirm that.

I've not had any experience with either, but I think Santa has with VHD2. You could maybe send her a PM.

The above is correct. But as RHD1 is also covered by Filavac the quickest way to protect them against RHD1 if they aren't already covered by the combined vaccine (Nobivac) then getting them vaccinated with Filavac would be a one week to immunity. I've also read somewhere that you would need to count about 15 days from the day they were vaccinated in an outbreak situation as they may be harbouring the virus at the time of vaccination so *may* are still at risk in that time period.

Last edited:
So sorry.

If your other rabbits are not vaccinated (RHD1&2, myxo), I would get them done urgently. It takes a couple of weeks or so for each of the 2 vaccines to take full effect, but better now than later, just in case.

Cosmo has had his routine changed without Tiggi being around. It may be worth getting him checked over. Check all the usual at home - eating, drinking, wee & poo output - and it will help to catch and treat anything early eg stasis. Some rabbits do so much better with a partner and they can take time to adjust.

Without a PM, it is difficult to say what happened to Tiggi. VHD is one possibility - but there are many others. I hope Cosmo picks up soon and you get some good advice from your vet.

I have had the worst weekend ever. we lost tiggi on friday suddenly. she looked asleep when we found her. No leaking from back end no blood anywhere, nothing. Last night cosmo was acting quiet but i thought maybe he is missing tiggi but this morning he is still quiet and looks different. i cant explain it any other way. Ive rang the vet and told them i think its vhd and they are going to ring me back after consulting. i need some advice incase my vet doesnt know. if i gave the rest of them the vhd injection would it stop any of the others dying. I really cant cope with this and i am in bits. has anyone had a vhd death and the other rabbits lived. i need some hope but i need honesty more. :cry:

Big hugs WS xx

I would drop Santa a PM and alert her to your situation. She's across it all, and is wonderfully helpful.

There's my long thread here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Updated-10th-June-2017

If you have time to look at it, start from the end and read towards the front.

RHD2 vaccine takes one week to full immunity. So far as I know there is no test in blood or poo that will tell you whether your rabbits are infected.

I would definitely get them vaccinated asap. Bear in mind it may not be VHD at all. Get the vet to have a good look and decide.

Loads of hugs xxx

I'm so sorry W&S
I can't offer anything other than what has already been said... just offering lots of hugs and as much support vibes I can send xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry for your loss :'(
I had a scare last year when I lost one of my boys and then another of my buns got poorly a few days later. My vet had me rush him straight in where he was quarantined and tested but it turned out not to be RHD2. It was just a horrible coincidence.
Keeping everything crossed that this is the same for you and that all of your buns remain healthy and safe.
Xxx

my vets have said monitor him and see. its bloody awful. he said they havnt got the vaccine in and before i panic wait and see. im looking up disinfectants now. is virkon s the best one

How happy are you with your vets normally? I don't want to increase your concerns, but if it were me I really would want Cosmo examined (I'm not sure how much they can test for RHD2) and I would search around for some vaccine.

So sorry:cry: sending lots of vibes and hugs. I would try to find RHD2 vaccine elsewhere if your vet can't do it today xx

I f your vet doesn't even stock the vaccine (sorry if this is blunt) then they are not likely to be taking the whole RHD issue seriously. Wait and see is not good advice for the situation.

Virkon is a good veterinary disinfectant. Comes in tablets, sachets or a big tub of powder. I have a big tub. Smells nice (slight lemon scent) and is pink. You can make up a solution and it keeps for a week. You can soak things in it, use it in the washing machine or as a spray.

As others have said, ring round and book in at another vet for the vaccinations. If yours hasn't got it in stock, what else can you do? Bit of a pain having to register everyone again, but the only option under the circumstances if you need them covered. I can see why your vet said wait and see what happens as it may well be something else - but that isn't much consolation if you are worried sick.

If you are in St Helens then ring Molly Varga like Jacks Jane suggested. That's who we saw when we had our scare and she rushed us straight in! She amazing :) She's in today too!

Back