• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

calming "things" for rabbits?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
Luna one minute she is being a draft excluder for the door, and you can walk over and she enjoys a good pet. for the first time in her life she has sat next to me while watching TV, having a good snuggle and head rub. so while in this aspect she is a lovely rabbit, there are issues with her seeming "grumpy". a few times I have been walking through the living room and she has ran full speed and sunk teeth into my ankle. i think I have received 12 bites this past week. feeding her is a nightmare, she's become super food aggressive and I've had teeth in my finger from placing her bowl on the floor.
her harness is also out of the question. she used to be quite excited to go out and would let me put it on her no issues. now should I dare try i have teeth sunken into my finger :shock:

either way; the biting is a serious issue. my dad has multiple health issues due to his liver being severely damaged. this effects his body in multiple ways. he bruises and injures quickly, doesn't clot with blood, and what takes me 3 days to heal, will take him months possibly. his immune system is horrible also, infections are likely. pair this with a rabbit who "attacks" and we have quite a worry.. if she manages to cut him she will cause a whole lot of issues.

does anybody have any suggestions if anything can be done to help?
I did think about a diffuser that should calm animals, but I would have no where to plug it upstairs or down. I have heard of ones that go in water; does anybody know if they possibly help?

I do know it may take months for her to fully settle and become confident without her buddy to follow around, but at the same time I want to help her and ensure that she is healthy and it takes a worry off of me about her injuring somebody!

You can get Pet Remedy in spray bottles so that you can spray it on frequently habited areas, bedding, etc. Whilst I haven't used it with rabbits, I've used it with my cat and it appears to have a calming effect on him.

Personally, I'm a bit hesitant about putting things in their water. If you choose to go down this route, I would always provide a separate bowl/bottle of water with nothing added to it.

I've heard that there is an animal version of RescueRemedy that can be given with the dropper on the lid of the bottle; hopefully someone else will know more.

I really hope you manage to find a solution to Luna's behaviour, wishing you the best.

You can get Pet Remedy in spray bottles so that you can spray it on frequently habited areas, bedding, etc. Whilst I haven't used it with rabbits, I've used it with my cat and it appears to have a calming effect on him.

Personally, I'm a bit hesitant about putting things in their water. If you choose to go down this route, I would always provide a separate bowl/bottle of water with nothing added to it.

I've heard that there is an animal version of RescueRemedy that can be given with the dropper on the lid of the bottle; hopefully someone else will know more.

I really hope you manage to find a solution to Luna's behaviour, wishing you the best.

hm okay, thank you. I did see that and it seemed to have some very promising reviews for rabbits as well.

I have no idea about putting anything in water as I've never had this issue. I just have seen one that can go in water and wondered is that would be helpful as I have no where for a diffuser. all I have are extension leads on the floor lol.

thank you, I really hope I can work this little munchkin out.

pet remedy is very good plug in diffusers ir spray, however they don't always work on behavioural issues

as far as my knowledge goes, this isnt a behavioural issue, it is fear :/ Luna is blind and used to rely on Snoopy, following him around quite a bit. she would be behind him as he found food, went up or down steps etc. she also could tell from him who was coming or where food was, she has lost that. so I believe, this is totally fear and stress.

Has she been neutered?

yes, she was done back in Feb 2016 :)

I use pet remedy for my girls bedroom. Works wonders and I use the spray when travelling.
They have a new cloth one that can be rubbed over bun, or certain humans etc.

Personally, with a sudden behavioural change I'd be looking at either something in her environment that has changed and upset her. I.e. new perfumes, new furniture etc
Or an underlying health problem that is causing issues.

Personally, with new and suddenly behavioural changes I have a full vet check to ensure there isn't any medical causing the issue.

So long as health is clear, I'd use pet remedy and lots of mentally stimulating toys especially if bun lives alone.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

hm okay, thank you. I did see that and it seemed to have some very promising reviews for rabbits as well.

I have no idea about putting anything in water as I've never had this issue. I just have seen one that can go in water and wondered is that would be helpful as I have no where for a diffuser. all I have are extension leads on the floor lol.

thank you, I really hope I can work this little munchkin out.

as far as my knowledge goes, this isnt a behavioural issue, it is fear :/ Luna is blind and used to rely on Snoopy, following him around quite a bit. she would be behind him as he found food, went up or down steps etc. she also could tell from him who was coming or where food was, she has lost that. so I believe, this is totally fear and stress.

yes, she was done back in Feb 2016 :)

If its fear then pet remedy may well help her anxiety levels poor girl xx

I use pet remedy for my girls bedroom. Works wonders and I use the spray when travelling.
They have a new cloth one that can be rubbed over bun, or certain humans etc.

Personally, with a sudden behavioural change I'd be looking at either something in her environment that has changed and upset her. I.e. new perfumes, new furniture etc
Or an underlying health problem that is causing issues.

Personally, with new and suddenly behavioural changes I have a full vet check to ensure there isn't any medical causing the issue.

So long as health is clear, I'd use pet remedy and lots of mentally stimulating toys especially if bun lives alone.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

okay; thank you. I'll look into it for sure :)

the only thing that has changed as been the loss of her friend. perfumes, furniture are all the same, nothing has changed.

its not really a sudden behavioural change, this has been escalating so to speak over time. she's been to the vet and had a clean bill of health with no issues, and her next check is in July for her RHVD2 jab. but she in herself is happy and the vet is happy.

so I really do think this is anxiety and stress and her having to adapt to her being blind and by herself.

I have been trying mental simulation toys, but of course she can not see and seems to get quite "angry" at them. other buns can see where the treat ball or disk on the living world toy is, she can not. so half the time walks away to nibble on something else hah.

If its fear then pet remedy may well help her anxiety levels poor girl xx

I do wonder if it is :? no idea as she can't talk to me lol

Back