• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is damage caused by EC irreversible?

As RR said.
It would be on an individual basis.

I've seen some buns completely recover after EC with no signs of it ever being active. Even kidneys seems to improved slightly *they'd never be 100% the same after damage*

Others I've seen even once the active period had passed they just were never right the same.

I hope the trio are okay ? Xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

that's interesting RR- thank you. MM- any damage really-brain, kidneys..

In my experience it varies as to the body part/s affected, and also what you do to try and restore normal functioning :)

You felt that Mouse's ears were damaged by E.C.??

I think it probably can be both. FHB certainly thinks that at least some damage is irreversible. At her last event, she was telling us about a bunny who developed kidney stones after a stasis episode (not present on radiographs at the start of the stasis, but were there a few weeks later) and this bunny was ec+ve many years previously but showing as ec-ve at that point in time. From memory, she was convinced that the kidney damage had occurred years earlier with the EC, and that the stones formed on scarred tissue when the bun was dehydrated due to the stasis.

I think it probably can be both. FHB certainly thinks that at least some damage is irreversible. At her last event, she was telling us about a bunny who developed kidney stones after a stasis episode (not present on radiographs at the start of the stasis, but were there a few weeks later) and this bunny was ec+ve many years previously but showing as ec-ve at that point in time. From memory, she was convinced that the kidney damage had occurred years earlier with the EC, and that the stones formed on scarred tissue when the bun was dehydrated due to the stasis.

thanks Santa, that is pretty encouraging, not that it can cause irreversible damage of course but that it doesn't have to. I was hoping you'd chip in. I'd just been pondering Mouse's deaf episode that lasted weeks / months that she has recently come back from, coincidentally or not in the middle of EC treatment. Or maybe her lug holes were more waxy than the vet thought.

As RR said.
It would be on an individual basis.

I've seen some buns completely recover after EC with no signs of it ever being active. Even kidneys seems to improved slightly *they'd never be 100% the same after damage*

Others I've seen even once the active period had passed they just were never right the same.

I hope the trio are okay ? Xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

sorry DP I missed that bit. They are on great form thank you

That is what is said in notes sent to me by FHB. I would imagine that whilst some clinical symptoms of EC may improve the damage caused by granular lesions in the brain and kidney are going to cause a degree of permanent damage.

This is quite an interesting read

http://www.vetfolio.com/parasitology/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits

Back