• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Second rabbit or not?

Alicia

Mama Doe
After Joey died a few weeks ago I messaged my boyfriends sister as she has recently had an accidental litter of baby rabbits. I really thought that Izzy would struggle without a friend and so I messaged her quite soon afterwards and she said that she was getting a vet to look over the babies and tell her the genders this week. She's just messaged me and said that there's a boy available if I want him. In the last few weeks Izzy seems ok, eating well, almost unaffected by Joey not being there. Should I still go ahead and get this rabbit? I am a bit wary of rocking the boat if she's ok as she is, she's also 8+ so I'm not sure whether it's a stupid idea but at the same time I feel like I've messed my boyfriends sister about. What should I do?

You have to do what's right for you, don't just get another one so you don't feel guilty after saying you'd have a rabbit. Its always best to have a friend for your rabbit. Are you going to keep having rabbits for another 8 years plus if you get this baby rabbit?

I can't tell you what to do, but if possible I would bond a bereaved rabbit with a new partner as it can be a very lonely life for a single rabbit outdoors. Two keep each other company and cosy. It really is your decision though.

I've adopted all my past rabbits from rescues, it's just that my boyfriends sister is looking for homes for these babies (she bought two males as pets but it turned out one was female - they are not together anymore so no more babies!) and she now wants to find good homes for these babies. It definitely wasn't an intentional breeding, and part of me would quite like a baby rabbit once as I've never had one. I think I want rabbits for a long time, I'd like to eventually get a conti but I don't think nows the right time. I'll think over the next couple of days, Izzy seems ok but I guess I don't really know how she is

It's just that the bunny will already been neutered, vaccd etc and might be easier and closer to her age too. Sorry my previous post did come across a bit grumpy I didn't mean it like it sounded!!

I'd get an older rabbit, or you are likely to be looking at the same situation in the future. I have Beano aged 8 bonded to Jake who's 2 and Beano is struggling with arthritis and regular dentals and it's a bit sad seeing Jake run and Binky and some days Beano just cant keep up with him. I struggling loosing Gordon and Beano was my first pet as a child who I cared for all on my own and will be devastated when she passes, the last thing I want is to get another rabbit but I will because I knew when we got Jake we would be left in this situation but I will adopt one as close to his age as possible.

I can't tell you what to do, but if possible I would bond a bereaved rabbit with a new partner as it can be a very lonely life for a single rabbit outdoors. Two keep each other company and cosy. It really is your decision though.

This is my opinion.

And personally I would get the baby rabbit too rather than a rescue rabbit, just considering that the opportunity has already presented itself and everything.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you're happy with whatever choice you make. :)

I just can't decide, and I think I need to decide soon so as not to mess boyfriends sister about any more than necessary

I do like to see outside bunnies with a friend of their own kind so I'd vote for a friend for Izzy. I only got one bunny that was young (my first), the rest were adult rescues. As cute as they are I really would prefer not to have to live through bunny adolescence ever again; that said I don't think they'd be as wearing kept outside. Good luck with your decision. In the meantime its great to hear how well Izzy is doing

I've adopted all my past rabbits from rescues, it's just that my boyfriends sister is looking for homes for these babies (she bought two males as pets but it turned out one was female - they are not together anymore so no more babies!) and she now wants to find good homes for these babies. It definitely wasn't an intentional breeding, and part of me would quite like a baby rabbit once as I've never had one. I think I want rabbits for a long time, I'd like to eventually get a conti but I don't think nows the right time. I'll think over the next couple of days, Izzy seems ok but I guess I don't really know how she is

I thought I'd add my two cents, as Monty was fairly young when we got him - approx. 11 weeks, so possibly slightly older than the baby you're thinking of, but about the same age. It's been brilliant watching (and feeling!) him grow bigger and gain more confidence, and each "step" has been like a milestone. I also think there's been some benefits we may not otherwise have had - he's always been very relaxed about house noises (except the doorbell/front door) and has never sprayed or become agressive over territory, he seems to have slipped in quite easily to living around us and our weird human foibles. That said, he was very hard work at first. I know I've mentioned before that he would spend hours sat in a corner of the sofa, weeing and pooing quite happily over it; he also didn't understand how water bottles worked, so for the first few weeks it was impossible to monitor water intake, and it also took a few days to get him used to a smaller food bowl; we haven't yet had to do any official litter training, we've just provided boxes with newspaper/hay in them and he has used them, but I get the impression we've been quite lucky there; it also took him about three months to work up the courage to leave his main room and explore the rest of the flat, and he still hasn't ever been in the kitchen. I completely don't regret getting Monty and I would do it again in an instance, but I don't think on the whole he was the best bunny for a first-time rabbit owner. That's partly his background (he was an outdoor bunny on a farm, and then became an indoor bunny around humans all the time) but also that he seems to have lacked some of the knowledge that an older rescue bunny might bring with them. That said, he doesn't have any of the (I can't think of a sensitive word, sorry) "problems" that a bunny who hasn't been in the happiest of homes before going to rescue might bring. For almost all of his life he's been loved and spoilt and kept safe, and I think that shows too (having had a rescue bunny who hated humans when I was wee)

tl;dr they're very hard work - I think, reading stories, probably more so than new adult bunnies would be. It can be rewarding, but it also takes some time and some patience - and more skill than I think we had (I'm not sure who was more stressed by things like nail clipping, but I know we could have done better!) I don't know if anything in that ramble helps :) Good luck making a decision, and don't feel guilty either way - I'm sure your boyfriend's sister will understand if you think on balance a baby rabbit wouldn't be the best fit for Izzy. Perhaps you could try and organise a small "meet" to see what Izzy thinks of the proposed companion?

I think I'm going to go for it. I know some won't agree with this and I'm sorry, I fully intend to rescue rabbits again in the future. I've not been in a great place the past few weeks and I think this could really help, something to focus on and work with if that makes sense. I've sent my boyfriends sister a message, just waiting to hear back now :)

I think I'm going to go for it. I know some won't agree with this and I'm sorry, I fully intend to rescue rabbits again in the future. I've not been in a great place the past few weeks and I think this could really help, something to focus on and work with if that makes sense. I've sent my boyfriends sister a message, just waiting to hear back now :)

Alicia, you don't have to apologise to anyone for your decision and I'm sorry that you feel you need to. You will be giving a rabbit a lovely home.

I hope the little rabbit brings you a lot of joy. Are you getting a male or female?

I hope the youngster brings you (and Izzy) much joy. You have nothing to apologise for. Your boyfriend's sister will at least be able to guarantee this one has an excellent home.

He's a male. She's told me he's white but apart from that I don't know very much. I will definitely continue rescuing though, there's too many rabbits not to and I don't have enough will power to stick to just a couple of rabbits :lol:

congratulations on making your decision + its a bunny in need of a home so nothing to feel bad about. I think it will be a nice positive focus for you. I look forward to updates

Back