• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny's claws

Afternoon all

Sweeper had a minor accident at the weekend. She was running round the house and for some reason (she has never done this before) she tried to jump at the tumble dryer.

She managed to pull one claw out of her front paw and there is one which I think she has pulled as well, but I think it's still attached.

She is fine and is walking and running fine and doesn't appear to be having any trouble with her foot at all.

I've tried pulling gently on the nail to see if it will come off but it seems quite firm but loose (if that makes sense).

I've spent a lot of time with her building up her trust in me and getting her behaviour to get better so don't want to do something to her myself that will hurt her and lose some of her trust.

Do you think it is worth a trip to the vets or will the nail drop off in time and get replaced?

Hi Bristol Mary -

My personal view would be if your at all in any doubt I'd pop your bunny to the Vets for a quick check. We all know how these little critters are so good at hiding any discomfort they may be in - also it sounds as though you have worked really hard at getting this little buns confidence so hopefully if there is any nail removal to be done the Vet will be really gentle with your bunny for you.

Not sure if nails grow back or not as I've not had direct experience in this area but I'm sure your Vet or some of the bunny mad folks on here may have more info re that area.

Good luck with your bunny.

Hi there, I've had a few bunnies loose claws. Chloe being the latest and she was the same as your Sweeper it didn't quite come off. I tried fiddling with it but she wouldn't have any of it, I left it a few days and checked again and it was gone. I think she may have pulled it off herself. She certainly didn't show any signs of pain and was happy enough with herself so I choose to leave her. If your not happy to leave try phoning the vets and asking first if theres any way they can take it off for her????

Angela

while we're talking claws, does anyone manage to clip their charges claws themselves or should it always be left to a vet? I think my 2's may need a clipping but they're not due to go to the vets yet.

Jill

I clip mine myself but if your not confident with it then pop them to the vet. Its harder if they have dark nails then light.

Tam

i clip my bunnys claws myself.. sometimes takes a while but getting better each time i do them. But as Tam says.. if you dont know how or not confident let the vet do them.
Chris

I've always clipped my bunnies claws, and once you have done it a few times your confidence will grow. Basically I wrap my bun up in a towel so that he cannot kick or struggle. I get my hubby to hold him whilst I gently but firmly take a foot in my hand. Brushing the fur away you should expose the claw. On sight you will notice that there is a pink section at the base of the claw, this is the quik. This is the part to avoid clipping as you will make it bleed. Carefully trim the claw with a good pair of pet nail clippers. It's always better to clip too little than too much.
Black claws are more tricky, so it's always best to nibble off tiny amounts.
Giving buns access to paved areas will help to keep claws naturally worn.

Regarding your bun, if she isn't bleeding and seems happy enough running around etc, then I would be tempted to clip it a bit so that she doesn't catch it on anything, oh and keep it nice and clean :)
Hope she's ok anyway.

This happened to us a few months back, Ron was having a mad moment around the garden and hubby caught him for a cuddle and I was watching and noticing a mark on his paw I had a closer look and it was bleeding quite heavily (hubby is colourblind and thought it was mud). He has caught one of his claws on something.

We took him to the vets because we found glass in our garden and we just wanted to make sure that no other damage had been done.

The vet just took the whole claw off as it was lose and Ron had a painkiller and within a couple of hours was having another mad moment around the garden.

It still hasn't grown back yet but he doesn't have any problems

I finished work slightly earlier last night (the old doctors appointment trick!) and took her outside in the garden for a bit to see what her movement was like.

She is moving fine and is putting full weight on it and jumping around etc so she seems fine.

I'll just keep an eye on her foot and take it from there.

In answer to the claw clipping question, I do it myself. I have them on my lap and they are fine with me. Flopsy sometimes treats as playtime and won't sit still, but mine are fine.

My vet charges £10 for doing the nails as we have to make an appointment etc, so unless I thought there was something wrong with them, I will always be doing their nails.

bristolmary said:
I finished work slightly earlier last night (the old doctors appointment trick!) and took her outside in the garden for a bit to see what her movement was like.

I am :shock: at that, the old doctors appointment trick, whatever do you mean :lol: At £10 a time no wonder you do your own rabbits Mary.

Jill, to be honest I'd give it a go yourself, if they have clear nails and theres 2 of you it will be easier. If you cut too far down and one bleeds it's not the end of the world, we all had to learn somehow and part of that is mistakes (anyway syptic powder or cornflour will stop the bleeding) I have made mine, one of which was using guilotine clippers and a bunny who pulled his foot out at the wrong time and lost his nail. It has grown back but he is nervous of clipping time :lol: Forgive me I have a rubbish memory, you have the 2 adorable lionhead lops don't you?? If so, start early and just take off the tips so they are no longer like needles and do it every week maybe 2 weeks just taking off the tips until the nails get a little longer.

Angela

I do Evo's nails. Like Angela suggested, I just take the tips off when I get a chance. I can usually do them whilst he is lying down relaxing. I can do the front ones on my own, and the OH will distract him whilst I do the back ones.

I'll forgive you Angela - mine are not the lionheads but the gorgeous, gorgoeous white and black and white mini lops (thanks Annie for finally letting me know what they are :oops: ).

Anyway, I live alone, my bunnies ,chinchillas etc. etc. are my partners so I would have to try and do it solo. I will get some clippers off the net ***suggestions for brand *** and wrap 'em up and try just a teensy bit of at a time. The buns do have the run of the garden for exercise but are obviously not spending enough time on the patio.. :bunny:

Jill

I live alone too. Its not too bad.. i wrapped him up in a towel to start with but now i sit him on my lap and do them. The hardest one i find is the 'thumb' nail on their front feet.
I got my clippers from Wilkinsons.
Chris

luvabun said:
I'll forgive you Angela - mine are not the lionheads but the gorgeous, gorgoeous white and black and white mini lops (thanks Annie for finally letting me know what they are :oops: ).

Jill

Ah well I did warn you I have a rubbish memory :lol:
Sorry :oops:
Being on your own doesn't make it any harder to be honest. I have always done the bunnies by myself. Although I have figured them out well, some have to be on the floor and will let me pull out a paw at a time, some will let me put them on their backs to get all four feet, some have to be stood up on their hind legs with me supporting their front end and they will then let me clip away. With 10 bunnies though it's difficult to remember who likes to done which way :D
Right must go look for piccies of your bunnies to refresh my memory!
Angela

Back