• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Imogen not eating / Now Smudge again...

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I don't understand this :( Imogen last night refused all food (except for some Jerusalem Artichoke leaves), she was still very active, I gave her some metacam, infacol and water but still the same this morning so they are back at the vets again.

I'm trying to work out what is causing them to go off their food. Does anyone else feed SS Mature? Could it have changed? I'm thinking of switching mine to Excel. I had avoided Excel due to Mini's tummy issues and I don't want to use SS regular due to Smudge choking on it. I noticed Smudge also left a few this morning, although he had plenty of the Profibre pellets so I'm starting to wonder if the taste has changed.

Last edited:
I don't understand this :( Imogen last night refused all food (except for some Jerusalem Artichoke leaves), she was still very active, I gave her some metacam, infacol and water but still the same this morning so they are back at the vets again.

I'm trying to work out what is causing them to go off their food. Does anyone else feed SS Mature? Could it have changed? I'm thinking of switching mine to Excel. I had avoided Excel due to Mini's tummy issues and I don't want to use SS regular due to Smudge choking on it. I noticed Smudge also left a few this morning, although he had plenty of the Profibre pellets so I'm starting to wonder if the taste has changed.

I dont feed any type of SS so I cant comment on that. Most of my Rabbits are not on any Pellets at all and Elyse has Fibafirst Sticks.

I hope that Imogen will be feeling better soon.

I'm sorry to read this. I hope she will soon feel better.

I've never tried the SS Mature and still feed the SS regular (not had issues with choking). My rabbits are 6, 7 and almost 8 years old. Have you tried Fibafirst or Supreme's Digestive Formula, which seems to be very similar to Fibafirst. Mine will eat either, but they don't like them as much as SS regular and will only eat them if there's nothing else on offer.

Thank you Jane. I'm going to try a few things, one being to try and be a bit more regular with giving them greens. Cos of Mini I kinda got out of the habit. I've also noticed some silicone missing from round the edges of the room so I'm concerned about that in case they've been eating it, so going to try and get that fixed before they get home.

Hi Omi, thank you.

I used to feed Fibafirst, I'm trying to remember why I stopped, I think it might have been for a similar reason, them not being so eager to eat it.

I also had Mini choke on the SS regular otherwise I'd switch back to that but I don't feel I can risk it. The shape seems to be easy for them to choke on.

Hi Omi, thank you.

I used to feed Fibafirst, I'm trying to remember why I stopped, I think it might have been for a similar reason, them not being so eager to eat it.

I also had Mini choke on the SS regular otherwise I'd switch back to that but I don't feel I can risk it. The shape seems to be easy for them to choke on.

Yes, I think the shape, but also the individual rabbit. I have often watched mine and they all chew the pellets very carefully and for a long time, before taking another one. However, if I had had a choking episode with any of them, that would persuade me not to feed them.

Yeah unfortunately Smudge isn't like that, he takes them at 100mph :roll:

Well, usually!

Poor loves :cry:. I've not been very active on here recently so hadn't realised you had food issues. I have to say that Imogen never had any issues with regular SS pellets, but I understand why they scare you. How about trying them with some coarse grind critical care made up into a very dry 'mash' with a small amount of warm water? I used to feed that to my elderly lady as often as she'd eat it just to get weight onto her.

Poor loves :cry:. I've not been very active on here recently so hadn't realised you had food issues. I have to say that Imogen never had any issues with regular SS pellets, but I understand why they scare you. How about trying them with some coarse grind critical care made up into a very dry 'mash' with a small amount of warm water? I used to feed that to my elderly lady as often as she'd eat it just to get weight onto her.

Or you could just grind up their regular pellets (as that's really all critical care is) and make that into a mash instead. I made it really dry so that it barely stuck together but was sufficient to form a mound.

Hi Mackers, I almost texted you today so I'm glad you've seen this. I do have some critical care leftover from Smudge's adventures but I'm always wary to syringe feed without seeing a vet in case there's a blockage. I ended up leaving them at Trinity today because it's a busy week at work for me and I felt she'd be better off with them where they can keep a better eye and put more time into syringe feeding.

I have just had a thought, maybe I could go back to hand feeding them SS regular and that way I could slow Smudge down a bit!

Have you had an update on how Smudge and Imogen are getting on at Trinity? Hope there are signs of improvement. Imogen usually has a cast iron constitution!

I feed mature and haven't seen a change. I haven't had any bunnies choke on SS but did have a bunny badly choke on Excel. I'm not sure there is s foolproof food, in the same way there isn't for people (I also had s smart rabbit choke on hay :roll:).

Is it possible it's just a duff bag? Have you tried another bag?

Have you had an update on how Smudge and Imogen are getting on at Trinity? Hope there are signs of improvement. Imogen usually has a cast iron constitution!

She's much better, they just want to keep them there one more day as they can't be certain on output. They should hopefully be home tomorrow! I am coming to the conclusion that she must have nibbled on the silicone sealant, Dad beefed up our bunny proofing yesterday so now it's impossible for them to get to it. I'm quite annoyed at how badly they put the lino in, on closer inspection it was loose in a few places so he's removed it, redone it and put something round the edges so it's hidden away.

I feed mature and haven't seen a change. I haven't had any bunnies choke on SS but did have a bunny badly choke on Excel. I'm not sure there is s foolproof food, in the same way there isn't for people (I also had s smart rabbit choke on hay :roll:).

Is it possible it's just a duff bag? Have you tried another bag?

This is a new bag, so with Smudge it was the older bag and with Immy the new bag. I think I'm going to stick with it for the time being, try and give more veggies and see how things progress. If I change too much that might cause it's own issues. I feel like I'm in some sort of detective story!

Last edited:
She's much better, they just want to keep them there one more day as they can't be certain on output. They should hopefully be home tomorrow! I am coming to the conclusion that she must have nibbled on the silicone sealant, Dad beefed up our bunny proofing yesterday so now it's impossible for them to get to it. I'm quite annoyed at how badly they put the lino in, on closer inspection it was loose in a few places so he's removed it, redone it and put something round the edges so it's hidden away.

Hi Elena

Just caught up with your thread (having come over from reading about your peas!)

Vibes for Imogen and Smudge :love:

Last edited:
Happy to read your update and glad the furbabies are starting to perk up. I remember only too well the stress of them not eating - Pea and Pod were nightmares and we had many bouts of bloat and stasis - some requiring emergency vet treatment. Imogen was always pretty robust whilst she was here and fortunately never choked on any pellets - I don't think she'd even consider 'wasting' any by choking on them as she was such a piggy!!!!

Happy to read your update and glad the furbabies are starting to perk up. I remember only too well the stress of them not eating - Pea and Pod were nightmares and we had many bouts of bloat and stasis - some requiring emergency vet treatment. Imogen was always pretty robust whilst she was here and fortunately never choked on any pellets - I don't think she'd even consider 'wasting' any by choking on them as she was such a piggy!!!!

Yes she always finishes before Smudge! I might gradually move them back onto SS regular when this bag finishes, think I'm gonna have to take things one at a time.

I'm pleased to hear that Imogen has improved and that they might be coming home tomorrow.

Back