• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

7 Year Old + Bunnies - How Long Do They Sleep Daily ,?

Bun should be getting up every couple hours at least to nibble and defecate.

Being an older bun, it could be pain causing such a long sleeping period. Something like arthritis making bun not want to move around.

Has a vet checked him over lately?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes he gets up to nibble quite a few times and to pee and poop. He was seen by the vet 6 weeks ago for uti and he had an ear absess too and was given ok for ear but uti diagnosed. He has improved alot regarding uti .

Just wondering, my Oliver is 7.5 years and sleepla routinely from 9.30am to 5.30 pm roughly each day.

A 7 year old bun, on his own, would most likely be exactly like Oliver is :)

A younger bun with a seven year old would probably mean Oliver would get a bit more activity, but he still needs his sleep. On the rough assumption that one human year equates to nine human years, that makes him 63 years old. Slowing down a bit and needing his beauty sleep xx

Here it says 7 rabbit years is 57 human years:

http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/rabbityears.php

Here it says 7 years is 68 human years:

http://www.age-converter.com/rabbit-age-calculator.html

I guess my deduction of 63 is bang in the middle :lol:

Yes he gets up to nibble quite a few times and to pee and poop. He was seen by the vet 6 weeks ago for uti and he had an ear absess too and was given ok for ear but uti diagnosed. He has improved alot regarding uti .
I wouldn't be worried in that case :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Great calculator Max! 63, no my baby can't be 63!! He is my last born. But reassuring to know more sleeping is normal. Though it appears that discomfort of his uti is gone he still lifting his tail and spotting but his appetite and mood has improve alot. So I will speak to my vet on Tuesday but again brings me back to worrying g if he will need a GA for xray. U know he has been getting fluids so thinking as I said before how can it be sludge but this was his second uti since the start of the year so some thing is causing it perhaps? 6 weeks ago vet said bladder felt ok and no significant amount of sludge in his pee sample. She mentioned last time about increasing fluids to 3 times a week to see if that would help. So I am wondering do I still need to get a urine culture done as still possible infection? Go with more fluids and see if that helps or xray to see if that shows anything??

Great calculator Max! 63, no my baby can't be 63!! He is my last born. But reassuring to know more sleeping is normal. Though it appears that discomfort of his uti is gone he still lifting his tail and spotting but his appetite and mood has improve alot. So I will speak to my vet on Tuesday but again brings me back to worrying g if he will need a GA for xray. U know he has been getting fluids so thinking as I said before how can it be sludge but this was his second uti since the start of the year so some thing is causing it perhaps? 6 weeks ago vet said bladder felt ok and no significant amount of sludge in his pee sample. She mentioned last time about increasing fluids to 3 times a week to see if that would help. So I am wondering do I still need to get a urine culture done as still possible infection? Go with more fluids and see if that helps or xray to see if that shows anything??

I'd want to start with having the Vet actually examine his bladder again. The Vet may be able to feel a sludge build up and/or any thickening/tenderness of the bladder. You could then discuss taking another urine sample for MC+S testing,the risks v benefits of an Xray and whether to increase the fluid theray :)

Thanks Jane, yes I am afraid to rush into an xray if we could try other things first. I will defo take Oliver to see her again this week to examine him again. Thanks you x

Hi Nicky :)

No he can't possibly be 63, and anyway, he's only as old as he feels!

I think that increasing the amount of fluids is what I would do first. I actually thought that before I got to the bit in your post that suggested it. I think without being invasive, that's a good way to see what happens.

have you noticed his pee looking like there's deposits/sludge in it?

I still remember us bringing him home from the sanctuary at 8 weeks old ! My husband had said the 3 we had were enough and wouldn't allow another but as we drove away he saw my face and he said we may as well turn back as you will only go back next week to get him anyway! So we did :) We have both loved him dearly ever since. Seems like yesterday. I still have a deep sadness for him being on his own, I know we tried but it doesn't help me feeling saddened by it. But I guess this pee spotting could be causing him more discomfort than I realise and i may in turn be reading his behaviour slightly wrongly. Jo j haven't seen any sludge at all in his urine since we started fluids nearly a year ago. But yes agree that fluids are easy to give, the tiny butterfly needle doesn't seem to bother him and low risk so I will speak to my vet tomorrow and see how he responds.

I still remember us bringing him home from the sanctuary at 8 weeks old ! My husband had said the 3 we had were enough and wouldn't allow another but as we drove away he saw my face and he said we may as well turn back as you will only go back next week to get him anyway! So we did :) We have both loved him dearly ever since. Seems like yesterday. I still have a deep sadness for him being on his own, I know we tried but it doesn't help me feeling saddened by it. But I guess this pee spotting could be causing him more discomfort than I realise and i may in turn be reading his behaviour slightly wrongly. Jo j haven't seen any sludge at all in his urine since we started fluids nearly a year ago. But yes agree that fluids are easy to give, the tiny butterfly needle doesn't seem to bother him and low risk so I will speak to my vet tomorrow and see how he responds.

What a lovely story Nicky :love:

Oliver is very special. I hope you have a good conversation with the vet about his progress and what to do next, when you speak with him tomorrow.

Where's his little butterfly Nicky? x

Hi Max, the butterfly is the name of the very fine butterfly needle that has a little tube attached to make giving the fluida easier. Sorry for confusion! I spoke to my vet and she agreed with fluids every other day to see if that helps things for a few weeks. She said as he had just finished a long course of antibiotics to give him a break. So he has already had his fluids today and I am to continue with daily metacam. I will see how we go, but I feel deep down an xray is needed as he is spotting even more frequently. I forgot to ask about culturing his pee for bacteria if infection is still there. I guess in 2 weeks or perhaps less if we aren't happy then she can check for infection prior to doing a possible xray. I hope this sounds like a good plan.

Hi Max, the butterfly is the name of the very fine butterfly needle that has a little tube attached to make giving the fluida easier. Sorry for confusion! I spoke to my vet and she agreed with fluids every other day to see if that helps things for a few weeks. She said as he had just finished a long course of antibiotics to give him a break. So he has already had his fluids today and I am to continue with daily metacam. I will see how we go, but I feel deep down an xray is needed as he is spotting even more frequently. I forgot to ask about culturing his pee for bacteria if infection is still there. I guess in 2 weeks or perhaps less if we aren't happy then she can check for infection prior to doing a possible xray. I hope this sounds like a good plan.

HI Nicky

I know that the butterfly is a little needle/port for the fluids :) When I've given fluids at home though, I do it via a bag of Hartmans and a big grey needle into the back. I was curious as to where on his body the butterfly needle was. It sounded more like the port you'd put into the ear for IV fluids?

I think your plan sounds good :D

I use these wee butterflies attached to the syringe, the needle is so fine it penetrays the skin so easily, plus I think it's easier and more comfortable for me and Oliver . I think though I could maybe try using just ghe syringe and a needle actually as long as the needle is thin enough. I will use up my boxes of butterflies though. I just place it in his scruff between his shoulder blades . Oh I'm glad u think it's a good idea, I hope it helps Oliver.

http://esuppliesmedical.co.uk/dispo...utterfly-needles/butterfly-needle-23g-blue-x1

I use these wee butterflies attached to the syringe, the needle is so fine it penetrays the skin so easily, plus I think it's easier and more comfortable for me and Oliver . I think though I could maybe try using just ghe syringe and a needle actually as long as the needle is thin enough. I will use up my boxes of butterflies though. I just place it in his scruff between his shoulder blades . Oh I'm glad u think it's a good idea, I hope it helps Oliver.

http://esuppliesmedical.co.uk/dispo...utterfly-needles/butterfly-needle-23g-blue-x1

Nicky, I had somehow got into my head that the butterfly needle actually stayed in Oliver full time - a bit like a port in hospital so they can put this and that into you without finding another vein. Sorry, I'm a complete *** @ :lol:

Been a long day - that's my excuse :D

lol its not a totally impossible idea! I know the thing u mean. Did I read on another post u have a poor wee bun at the moment? I hope he is improving and will be ok x

Back