• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Circling while sitting

weedug

Mama Doe
I hope I can explain this properly. Mr Bubble has been treated for active ec, diagnosed from blood tests, a few months ago. He has now started circling. He is usually sitting down and his bum stays on the ground, although it's maybe more his hip than bum. His front legs walk round so he is going in a circle (with bum on floor). He started doing it a few days ago, but seems to be doing it more. Sometimes it's very slow with breaks and sometimes a bit quicker.

I took a video but I can't upload it for some reason. I sent it to my vet and am waiting for them to get back, just wondered if anyone knew if it could be ec related or because Bubble is blind, or something else. He seems ok other than this.

I hope I can explain this properly. Mr Bubble has been treated for active ec, diagnosed from blood tests, a few months ago. He has now started circling. He is usually sitting down and his bum stays on the ground, although it's maybe more his hip than bum. His front legs walk round so he is going in a circle (with bum on floor). He started doing it a few days ago, but seems to be doing it more. Sometimes it's very slow with breaks and sometimes a bit quicker.

I took a video but I can't upload it for some reason. I sent it to my vet and am waiting for them to get back, just wondered if anyone knew if it could be ec related or because Bubble is blind, or something else. He seems ok other than this.

Is it that he is trying to stand from a sitting position but cannot do so due to hind leg weakness ?

Is it that he is trying to stand from a sitting position but cannot do so due to hind leg weakness ?

I suppose it could be. His back legs stay on the ground while he circles, often quite slowly.

Do you think he should have more panacur?

I suppose it could be. His back legs stay on the ground while he circles, often quite slowly.

Do you think he should have more panacur?

I would speak with your Vet about that. Whilst Panacur has it's place in treating EC it is not without side effects.

How kind of you to ask Jane.

Bubble is still circling, perhaps more often. I don't think it is because he can't get up. If he falls over and can't get up there is an urgency to his scrambling about. This is usually slow and calm. In fact he seems a bit spaced out a few times when doing it. After a few minutes he will just get up and hop away. He usually goes anti-clockwise too, for some reason. Only occasionally has he gone the other way. He's still eating fine, but is sleeping more now. Perhaps more because of his age (he's almost 12)?

I haven't managed to get in touch with his usual vet yet either. I would prefer that they just had a telephone consult and watched the video than have me take Bubble there. He always gets so unwell afterwards.

How kind of you to ask Jane.

Bubble is still circling, perhaps more often. I don't think it is because he can't get up. If he falls over and can't get up there is an urgency to his scrambling about. This is usually slow and calm. In fact he seems a bit spaced out a few times when doing it. After a few minutes he will just get up and hop away. He usually goes anti-clockwise too, for some reason. Only occasionally has he gone the other way. He's still eating fine, but is sleeping more now. Perhaps more because of his age (he's almost 12)?

I haven't managed to get in touch with his usual vet yet either. I would prefer that they just had a telephone consult and watched the video than have me take Bubble there. He always gets so unwell afterwards.

It may well be neurological then. I hope that he can remain comfortable within himself. If you can have a look in his ears. If he has trouble grooming himself he may have gunky ears and this can sometimes cause vestibular symptoms.

Hopefully you will be able to contact your usual Vet soon xx

I've only just seen this, weedug. Fiver has been doing this for years without any further symptoms. In his case, his vet has pretty much ruled it an age-related hind end/spinal weakness issue. Mostly we just use high doses of metacam to assuage any discomfort. I hope it will be something simply sorted for Mr. Bubble as well. xxxxx

Thank you Jane and MimzMum. I don't have the instrument to look properly in Bubbles ears, but what I can see looks ok.

I have a feeling it might be vestibular because he seems a bit zoned out when going round. A bit like the dogs I've seen with vestibular disease.

He is on metacam twice a day and Tramadol twice a day for his eyes, so hopefully he isn't in pain. It's a relief to hear that Fiver has been doing this for years without further symptoms. I seem to panic at all the pets new symptoms these days. I am finding it so hard trying to sort them out as best I can on top of everything else.

The only difference I see in Bubble is that he has been gradually sleeping for longer. He spends most of his day sleeping now, but still seems happy.

Thank you Jane and MimzMum. I don't have the instrument to look properly in Bubbles ears, but what I can see looks ok.

I have a feeling it might be vestibular because he seems a bit zoned out when going round. A bit like the dogs I've seen with vestibular disease.

He is on metacam twice a day and Tramadol twice a day for his eyes, so hopefully he isn't in pain. It's a relief to hear that Fiver has been doing this for years without further symptoms. I seem to panic at all the pets new symptoms these days. I am finding it so hard trying to sort them out as best I can on top of everything else.

The only difference I see in Bubble is that he has been gradually sleeping for longer. He spends most of his day sleeping now, but still seems happy.

What dose of Tramadol is he on and how long has he been on it ? Vestibular abnormalities are a possible side effect for HUMANS who are on longterm Tramadol. I would discuss this with your Vet xx

What dose of Tramadol is he on and how long has he been on it ? Vestibular abnormalities are a possible side effect for HUMANS who are on longterm Tramadol. I would discuss this with your Vet xx

Sorry Jane, I missed this. He has been on Tramadol since about November. He gets 0.6ml twice a day made up by my vet, which is 0.3ml if it was the liquid Tramadol, if that makes sense?

Congratulations on having a 12 year old bunny. Sending you and he some positive vibes for a quick diagnosis.

Sorry Jane, I missed this. He has been on Tramadol since about November. He gets 0.6ml twice a day made up by my vet, which is 0.3ml if it was the liquid Tramadol, if that makes sense?

That's OK. I just think it may be a good idea to raise the issue with the Vet. There can be a cumulative effect of Tramadol, so side effects may not always develop immediately. Sometimes reducing the dose may be necessary.

Back