• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello

EnglishLop

New Kit
hi im female, 20 and come from kent.

i own a french blue lop (got that muddled up lol used to have an english lop woops apologies) who is soon to be 4, which we saved from the rspca in leybourne, called radar...

and 2 new rabbits and a little guinea pig that we recently saved from a family friend, who was just not lookin after them...

we believe they are 6 months old, but then again we were also told they were both female, which is obviously incorrect for at least one of them...

they go for their first check up tomorrow, unfortunately one rabbit, an albino sways his head alot of the time... and well if u had seen the size of the cage these 3 animals were in... u'd be disgussed - i wldnt even let the guinea pig live there on its own!

they had no run and were fed once a week... :( and the rabbits if sat in the cage along the width wld touch nose to tail to the cage...

they now have a big cage and a massive run...

our english lop lives in a shed that we converted... unfortunately on his own but well he thinks he's human :)

am lookin about some advice for the 3 rescues especially the albino, as we are not sure if he is blind, deaf and as to why he sways his head...

urs sam

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forum :D

It sounds like quite a handful you have there :D , seems similar to when I rescued my Tizzy from awful conditions in someone's garden.

My little Poppy sways her head quite a bit, not badly but she just likes to rock when she sits, she has been checked out and given the all clear, it's just obviously something she enjoys doing :wink: :?

Anyway, enough of me rambling.

Enjoy the forum

Jules

Its quite common for red-eyed animals to sway their heads. Its because their eye sight isn't always so good and its helps them judge distances. It shouldn't cause her any problems though. You can usually get some idea of whether an animal is deaf by making a noise behind them and seeing whether they react.

Welcome to the forums :D

Tam

thank u :)

we are just a little worried because of the size of the cage they were in... their whiskers havent even formed properly... makes me so angry :(

they are safe now...

but so many question we need to no... like what breed they are for starters...

doh...

Hiya English Lop and a big wlecome to the Forum :D

I just wanted to add to Tamsins point about why bunnies may sway their heads....in addition to poor eye sight, it can also be a symptom of stress, and I think I read that your bunnies were originally kept in a very small cage.
This may have contributed towards a stressful environment for the bunnies, hence the swaying...the good news is, that poor eyesight aside, bunnies can reduce the swaying once they feel secure and in a happy home environment.
It sounds like they are very lucky to have found you :D

Thats ok, it is a little disconcerting if you haven't seen it before. Do you have a picture? We can play guess the bunnies breed for you :D

Tam

unfortunately no piccies of them at this time...

neither are lops i know that much... one is a cream colour with brown around its eyes and brown ears and feet...

the other is albino... but this is all we know... we don't know what size they'll grow too or anything :(

its so sad... i feel useless :(

Hello Englishlop!

Your poor bunnies, that made me sad reading about them squashed into a small cage and fed once a week. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr makes me mad :evil: Well done for saving them :)

I know Leybourne, I think, is it near Maidstone? I am from Bearsted!

Looking forward to your pictures :D

OMIGOD I walk past Windmill Heights (up Roseacre Lane) on the way to Bearsted station! Its very posh!!

WHAT A SMALL WORLD!!!

Hiya Sam, and welcome. Good on you for rescuing the neglected bunnies and pig. Can you tell us about the little guinea pig too? Looking forward to pics of them all - and your lop as well.
Anna

Back