• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does it take for deworming to take effect?

palolabg

New Kit
Hello!

I recently got both my mini lops dewormed, one of which was having a minor case of coccidia parasites.

I've seen some improvement from him (he's more alert, his stools dont have as much mucus in them and he's eating a bit more), but he still seems to be acting a little bit funny at times, like he's very tired, I see him snoozing a lot. My breeder/vet assured me he's just getting all the gross stuff out of his system, but I'm not sure...

Does it take a while for deworming to work its magic if a bunny was infected, or should I take my lop to the vet again and see if he needs further treatment?

Hello!

I recently got both my mini lops dewormed, one of which was having a minor case of coccidia parasites.

I've seen some improvement from him (he's more alert, his stools dont have as much mucus in them and he's eating a bit more), but he still seems to be acting a little bit funny at times, like he's very tired, I see him snoozing a lot. My breeder/vet assured me he's just getting all the gross stuff out of his system, but I'm not sure...

Does it take a while for deworming to work its magic if a bunny was infected, or should I take my lop to the vet again and see if he needs further treatment?

What is the name of the drug being given to treat the Coccidiosis ?

Are the Rabbits Babies or adults ?

If they are still unwell then yes, they do need to be seen by the Vet again ASAP. Coccidiosis is a very nasty condition and in baby Rabbits it is very serious. This link would be useful to take a look at

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON LINK*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

What is the name of the drug being given to treat the Coccidiosis ?

Are the Rabbits Babies or adults ?

If they are still unwell then yes, they do need to be seen by the Vet again ASAP. Coccidiosis is a very nasty condition and in baby Rabbits it is very serious. This link would be useful to take a look at

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON LINK*

I cant remember the name, I know the treatment was injected though.

Buns are still babies, almost 9 weeks old

my current vet (and breeder I got buns from) reassures he'll be alright and that I just need to let the medicine do it's thing, buuuut I worry

Hello!

Coccidiosis is a very serious condition, and all the moreso with baby rabbits.

Some info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/squirts.pdf

Please make sure your vet is across everything you write about on here - it could become an emergency

Good luck xx

my current vet (and breeder I got buns from) reassures he'll be alright and that I just need to let the medicine do it's thing, buuuut I worry

If the Kits are still not 100 % better then it is essential that they are seen by a Vet again as a matter of urgency. As you will see from the link I posted in my previous reply, Coccidiosis in baby Rabbits is extremely serious and sadly very often fatal. It is also an extremely infectious condition, so the breeder needs to take a long hard look at ALL of his/her Rabbits and contact any people that he/she has recently sold a Kit(s) to.

A* husbandry is an absolute must when dealing with a coccidiosis outbreak :

''Sanitation is critical for the control of coccidiosis, especially within multirabbit homes or rabbit colonies.
Hutches, cages or pens should be cleaned out regularly, preferably daily.
Cages, food bowls and water bottles need to be routinely disinfected.
Food should not be given on the floor. Food and water bowls/troughs should be in positions where they are unlikely to become contaminated by droppings''

''Removal of infected animals may be necessary to eliminate the infection in a breeding colony''.

''Rabbits should be screened for the shedding of oocysts; those that are shedding should be separated from young rabbits''

Ref : http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

Can you ring back and query it with your vet?

Babies are so fragile .. I really hope your vet is rabbit savvy?

Can you ring back and query it with your vet?

Babies are so fragile .. I really hope your vet is rabbit savvy?

Yes, my vet is aware of coccidiosis, he breeds and treats rabbits only.
I sent him my baby today for diagnosis.

I caught the infection SUPER early thankfully, my little guy's now with the vet undergoing treatment, he needs to gain a lot of weight, but I've been assured he will most likely make it, even if he has to stay quarantined for a few days, or a week or two!

In the meantime I've disinfected everything at home so my other lop doesn't get sick, which is unlikely because he was just dewormed too,

thanks to everyone for the advice!

I caught the infection SUPER early thankfully, my little guy's now with the vet undergoing treatment, he needs to gain a lot of weight, but I've been assured he will most likely make it, even if he has to stay quarantined for a few days, or a week or two!

In the meantime I've disinfected everything at home so my other lop doesn't get sick, which is unlikely because he was just dewormed too,

Well done you for being so vigilant :)

Vibes for your baby :)

I hope that the sick Rabbit can pull through. Coccidiosis is such a nasty disease :cry:

Back