• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Luna isn't eating and has diarrhea..

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
Luna refused to eat her veggies today. at first I thought she was protesting cause I have been unable to get her out. first things first I listened to her gut, which had general gurgles and the occasional loud one. sounded fairly normal to me. however, i administered baby gas drops and a few little massages.

something smelt, but i figured that was her litter tray as I haven't cleaned it today. cleaned, disinfected, still a smell. she also hadn't moved from her lying stretched out position on the floor.

I did some more massages and then decided to do the general health check and check her over. and the only way to describe it is that she had smooshed poop around her bottom. it looked like when you open up their poops and it crumbles, expect stuck to her butt :? i cleaned it up and boy - it stank. I ended up gagging pretty bad.

after that, i sat down, and then spotted what looked like a dog turd on the floor! literally, her poop looked the exact same as a dog turd would, round, wet. if i owned a small dog I would have presumed its him.

so far no more, just tiny poops. she is incredibly cold on her ears, so I will be taking her temp via ears (i can't do the whole putting one up the anus :oops: I measure by her ears using one for kids on the forehead, works well!) and grabbing her a snuggle safe heat pad.

what should I do? I've dealt with gas, but never diarrhea. this is a new neck of the woods for me.

her temperature is lower than 34c, so ive made her in a burrito and put her on the pad. shes now falling asleep! probably wont last long :lol:
qRnA9o9.jpg

it doesn't sound like true watery diarrhoea, which is good, but, something is obviously not right in her gut. I would put in a call to your vet and see if they can see her and maybe see if you can get a poop sample to give them as they may want to test it. Was anything new added to her diet? Sending vibes x

I think a Vet consultation is needed ASAP as if she has 'true' diarrhoea and is hypothermic she needs pretty intensive care :cry:

If she actually passed/is passing unformed cecotrophs then that can be indicative of a dietary problem-ie not enough fibre (hay) and too much carbohydrates (pellets etc) There are also other health problems that can cause a Rabbit to have a mucky bum, eg Dental problems or mobility problems.

Once you have done the most important thing, getting her seen by a Vet this morning, then take a look at these links

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286474.shtml

https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/rabbit-poo

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/flystrike/

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

I hope that Luna will be OK x

I agree with Jane, she needs to be seen by a vet asap. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Oh dear, you really are having a time of it lately! Probably not what you want to hear, but it does sound like another trip to the vets. Sending vibes x

it doesn't sound like true watery diarrhoea, which is good, but, something is obviously not right in her gut. I would put in a call to your vet and see if they can see her and maybe see if you can get a poop sample to give them as they may want to test it. Was anything new added to her diet? Sending vibes x

I agree with Rabbitches. You need to consult with a vet asap. Her temperature being low is a concern and I would be treating that as an emergency.

Good luck and I hope all goes well x

I did make a mistake, it was unformed cecotrophs it seems. however I was in a bit of a panic and to me it looked like diarrhea :oops: i apologize

I am honestly at a loss what happened with her.

her ears were frozen cold and she wasn't much warmer. 20 minute nap on the heat pad, 2ml of baby gas drops, and half an hour later she went back to almost "normal" ! her poops were still small, but she was bouncing around jumping on me. still wouldn't eat.

roll around to almost 1am, she ignored her pellet and veggies i offered (when they're not eating I tend to offer veggies, hay and a tiny bit of pellet as a way of getting them to eat) but was tucking into hay.

15 minutes after that she was back to normal and bouncing around, eating her pellet, eating her veggies and seemed rather happy. so i placed her in the cage and she has stayed mostly next too or on the heat pad. i passed out at 2am.

this morning everybody has seemed to have had appointments, i had counselling and wasn't back in till 1pm. but this morning she was okay and ate her morning veggies and fresh hay I added.

nothing new has been added to get diet, no changes, nothing. the same old hay, pellet and veggie routine.. she's been having a few licks of a smoothie but i mean a few drops from the straw :lol: she has constant hay, 1/4 cup of pellet x2 a week, and veggies morning and evening.

I'm on the fence if she needs a vet today, or if I can book in tomorrow. she has been fine since this "episode" and back to normal, and back to normal poops. her bottom still smells though.

im so confused :?

she's now running back and fourth like an idiot! :roll: (and also into the wall and fell out the door but - we'll ignore that)

I think that if it were me I would give an eggcupful of pellets each day (either morning or evening) rather than 1/4 cup twice a week, and few veg at the other end of the day. You could, perhaps, try some dried forage rather than veg every day.

Luna much prefers in all honesty to have bits throughout the day rather than here's your cup of veggies all in one go. so she gets 1/2 cup morning and 1/2 evening.
pellet is usually a treat and placed in the treat ball which is spread over the week, and gets filled up twice. I should have stated that lol.

dried forage is a good idea, Luna is incredibly picky. I sadly usually end up giving her the same stuff. she will only eat spring greens, coriander and dill, and she gets the occasional lettuce leaf. everything else I have tried on rabbit safe lists she turns her nose up at !

Luna much prefers in all honesty to have bits throughout the day rather than here's your cup of veggies all in one go. so she gets 1/2 cup morning and 1/2 evening.
pellet is usually a treat and placed in the treat ball which is spread over the week, and gets filled up twice. I should have stated that lol.

dried forage is a good idea, Luna is incredibly picky. I sadly usually end up giving her the same stuff. she will only eat spring greens, coriander and dill, and she gets the occasional lettuce leaf. everything else I have tried on rabbit safe lists she turns her nose up at !

Bless her :love:

You certainly seem to have her sussed!

I hope she continues to improve :)

Back