• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternative to wood shavings in a Hutch?

vonsworld

New Kit
Hello

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but can someone recommend a good disposable floor covering for an outdoor hutch other than wood shavings?

To keep the buns out of direct sunlight, one of our hutches is at the top end of the garden near the back door and some decking. However the shavings get kicked out and blown everywhere into the house and are blocking up the gaps in the decking. So I am really keen to find an alternative that will stay put and cause less mess :)

Thanks for your advice

Could you litter train the rabbits, then use lino on the base of the cage with blankets/hay/straw as bedding ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most rabbits can be litter trained easily, of the four I've had I've just popped a tray in with the desired bedding (I used newspaper but now use puppy pads) with hay on top as rabbits tend to toilet as they are eating and all have used it straight away and generally had no toileting anywhere else so never even had to train them! My rabbits are indoors so I just use newspaper in their base but have used blankets as well before.

Last edited:
Yip, I agree, a litter tray where they usually do the toilet should work well and keep the actual floor clean. I have indoor buns, but we put sticky back vinyl floor tiles on my cousins hutch floor.

Thanks for your replies :)

I already have lino in the bottom of the hutch, so will try out your suggestions.

I've heard that some owners put a blanket or a towel in the bottom of the hutch and then give it a wash when necessary, but won't the buns chew material like that?

:)

I put newspaper on the floor of one of mine's shed as she tends to just 'go' there, she's never been littertray trained. I put a thick layer of hay on top and just clean it out every day, shake the droppings out and take the wet hay and newspaper, then replace the paper and put the clean hay on top with some fresh added. it works well for me, I have the neighbours' papers and some that are donated to the rescue I help at, she gets an endless supply and doesn't use it.

Back