• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trancing

LagomorphLion

Warren Scout
From what age do rabbits find trancing stressful?

I only ask as have been trying to spread the word on social media that rabbits are not relaxed in this position. I've seen a few breeders on Instagram that trance their kits (around 3-4 weeks old) but am hesitant to say anything in case I cause any unnecessary friction.
Thank you in advance! :)

I only ask as have been trying to spread the word on social media that rabbits are not relaxed in this position. I've seen a few breeders on Instagram that trance their kits (around 3-4 weeks old) but am hesitant to say anything in case I cause any unnecessary friction.

As Kits often feed on their backs I doubt that being held securely on their back for a few seconds to do an essential health/welfare check would be too 'stressful'. I see no reason to use true 'Trancing' for a Rabbit of any age unless it was for said essential health/welfare checks.

So in short I think it would be the context in which the 3- 4 week old Kits were being 'tranced'. If it was just for the taking of a cute photo then IMO that is not appropriate. But if it was to quickly clean up a mucky bum or do a quick check to confirm gender then it would be OK.

Some info here:

http://animalwhoop.com/tonic-immobility-in-rabbits-to-trance-or-to-not-trance/

http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm

I tend to agree with your view re trancing.

Unless absolutely necessary, I wouldn't do it.

As Kits often feed on their backs I doubt that being held securely on their back for a few seconds to do an essential health/welfare check would be too 'stressful'. I see no reason to use true 'Trancing' for a Rabbit of any age unless it was for said essential health/welfare checks.

So in short I think it would be the context in which the 3- 4 week old Kits were being 'tranced'. If it was just for the taking of a cute photo then IMO that is not appropriate. But if it was to quickly clean up a mucky bum or do a quick check to confirm gender then it would be OK.

Thanks for replying Jane, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately it was simply for a photo - hopefully they're unaware of the effect it has and will stop after I let them know.

Back