• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a Bunny! *reunited*

Jasperello

Warren Scout
A gorgeous white, male rabbit has been found tonight in NG9, Nottingham.
He isn't microchipped or neutered.

He has a very runny nose, and an eye that is slightly pinker and sticky compared to the other one. He has a dirty and matted bum too. Think he is an outdoor bunny because he has muddy paws and nails (perhaps dug out from somewhere?!) But other than that his white coat is still very soft, white and clean.

He's not eaten or drunk in the couple of hours I've had him and I've no idea how long he was hiding under that car so I've started on the critical care. He's not keen to help me with that but I slowly and eventually did get 5ml in him!

Temporarily got him indoors in one of our carriers tonight and will make a little pen too. He's started to relax a little now and laid down a few times. Now he's washing his face :)

Going to take him to my vet tomorrow for a health check and I think they'll probably prescribe antibiotics for his runny nose and eye.
Will look after him for the week and see what happens. I have some worries about his bum too-diet related? I don't want to give him back to someone who isn't particularly clued up on bunny care. And anyway how will I know that some random person who breeds bunnies or something wont just pretend the rabbit belongs to them and claim him? Because he's not microchipped so how will someone prove that he belongs to them?! Help!
18698106_223376951505602_3682418126322820929_n.jpg

18671131_223376968172267_5549535010252062813_n.jpg
18739735_223376964838934_3125644070009576727_n.jpg
18740637_223376941505603_3092046967405709563_n.jpg

Last edited:
Aww well done for finding him and being able to catch him, poor bunny!

All the best!

As he's not microchipped is there any way that you can keep him for yourself? Sounds like the owners won't miss him and unless there are posters plastered about, personally I wouldn't go out of my way to find the owner to be honest. It's not like you've taken him - he is either an escapee, or they let him go. And if it's the latter and you return him, they'll do it again. That's the cynic in me speaking anyway.

Keep him if you can, I would.

If that's not practical, then take him to a proper rehoming centre and they'll look after him and make sure he goes to a decent forever home. But very well done in catching the bunny in the first place, poor thing must have been very frightened.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow, let us know how you get on :)

A gorgeous white, male rabbit has been found tonight in NG9, Nottingham.
He isn't microchipped or neutered.

He has a very runny nose, and an eye that is slightly pinker and sticky compared to the other one. He has a dirty and matted bum too. Think he is an outdoor bunny because he has muddy paws and nails (perhaps dug out from somewhere?!) But other than that his white coat is still very soft, white and clean.

He's not eaten or drunk in the couple of hours I've had him and I've no idea how long he was hiding under that car so I've started on the critical care. He's not keen to help me with that but I slowly and eventually did get 5ml in him!

Temporarily got him indoors in one of our carriers tonight and will make a little pen too. He's started to relax a little now and laid down a few times. Now he's washing his face :)

Going to take him to my vet tomorrow for a health check and I think they'll probably prescribe antibiotics for his runny nose and eye.
Will look after him for the week and see what happens. I have some worries about his bum too-diet related? I don't want to give him back to someone who isn't particularly clued up on bunny care. And anyway how will I know that some random person who breeds bunnies or something wont just pretend the rabbit belongs to them and claim him? Because he's not microchipped so how will someone prove that he belongs to them?! Help!
18698106_223376951505602_3682418126322820929_n.jpg

18671131_223376968172267_5549535010252062813_n.jpg
18739735_223376964838934_3125644070009576727_n.jpg
18740637_223376941505603_3092046967405709563_n.jpg

Hi Jasperello :wave:

He's adorable :love:

What's the pink bit on his leg in the third photo?

When you say he was found- did you find him? Depending on the circumstances, I would discuss all the facts (his health, being a stray etc) with your vet. They should give good advice on all of this stuff.

In the meantime, enjoy that beautiful little face for all it's worth :love::love::love:

Poor little chap. I'm afraid I'd be very reluctant to look for his owner as he's a bit poorly. Probably came from a filthy hutch. Obviously you have to make a few inquiries. Shame. Bless his little heart. xxxx

This happened to me last year! I found two rabbits in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. I rang all the local vets and advertised on fb but noone came forward. I was just about to keep them for myself when someone contacted me via my vets. I asked for photos first and agreed to meet her at the surgery. I got there first and she came running in, absolutely hysterical. She was crying and couldn't believe that she had found them both. It was an honest (but incredibly stupid) mistake. She'd had the back door open because it was hot and blocked it off with her wheelie bin. She then fell asleep on the sofa and when she woke up they were gone! I was fully prepared to give her an ear full but I could tell that she was incredibly upset and that it was a genuine accident. She also promised over and over again that it wouldn't happen a second time. I got a thank you card and a bunch of flowers from her little boy the next day.
I think that you will get a good idea of whether or not he is well cared for when you go for the vet check tomorrow. Fingers crossed that you get him eating for himself tonight. He's a beautiful boy :) Whatever happens I hope that he ends up in a lovely home, wherever that may be.

He's ventured out the carrier and running around my room now! Seems to have stiff back legs, he has quite a rigid, heavy footed hop and he seems to be trying to stand up to meerkat but can't straighten his legs to do it properly?! Or he just has really short legs compared to my other 5 and the way he's hopping is normal for his breed, I'm not sure! The cynic in me wonders if he's been stuck in a tiny hutch and that's why. All may be revealed at my vets tomorrow perhaps! He's got such cute chubby cheeks he is a right sweetie.
I don't particularly want to put much effort into finding his owners if it's the case they don't look after him properly.
If he was a girl I could of bonded with my Zuccy but I dont have space for another single or pair of buns as much as I wish I could because that would mean I'd end up with 8! Wish I had time, space and money for that though, I would love it!
The pink bit is his dangly boy bits!! Just hanging out there for all to see lol.
He just had a drink of water out the bowl yay! And he's just chinned a few things in my room, so making himself at home!

He's lovely.
He has no yellowing round his feet or tail to indicate he was kept in poor conditions. He looks in good shape and quite comfortable. I hope the runny nose is easily sorted.
He could have escaped - maybe someone different was looking after him during the holidays. Rabbits also get released or stolen by strangers. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about how he came to be straying. He seems to be fine being picked up, around people and in the house, so someone is probably missing him.

He's lovely.
He has no yellowing round his feet or tail to indicate he was kept in poor conditions. He looks in good shape and quite comfortable. I hope the runny nose is easily sorted.
He could have escaped - maybe someone different was looking after him during the holidays. Rabbits also get released or stolen by strangers. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about how he came to be straying. He seems to be fine being picked up, around people and in the house, so someone is probably missing him.

I tend to worry and get overly analytical and anxious about things and this is one of those times, I hope he is missed and loved and well looked after but I just overly worry and wouldn't want to think I was sending him back to a sad or poor quality life that's all. I know mistakes and accidents happen so with any luck I'm just looking after him temporarily until his owners find out I've rescued him

This happened to me last year! I found two rabbits in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. I rang all the local vets and advertised on fb but noone came forward. I was just about to keep them for myself when someone contacted me via my vets. I asked for photos first and agreed to meet her at the surgery. I got there first and she came running in, absolutely hysterical. She was crying and couldn't believe that she had found them both. It was an honest (but incredibly stupid) mistake. She'd had the back door open because it was hot and blocked it off with her wheelie bin. She then fell asleep on the sofa and when she woke up they were gone! I was fully prepared to give her an ear full but I could tell that she was incredibly upset and that it was a genuine accident. She also promised over and over again that it wouldn't happen a second time. I got a thank you card and a bunch of flowers from her little boy the next day.
I think that you will get a good idea of whether or not he is well cared for when you go for the vet check tomorrow. Fingers crossed that you get him eating for himself tonight. He's a beautiful boy :) Whatever happens I hope that he ends up in a lovely home, wherever that may be.

Aw bless. I'm trying to not jump to conclusions but it's hard! I hope something similary innocent but naive has happened to this little one. Fingers crossed for a happy ending! I'm just pleased I've got him and he's not still sat under the car x

Awe bless him, he's a gorgeous little bunny. 😍
Glad he's feeling relaxed in a strange situation. And hoping he has the best outcome, whether that's with you or his 'owners', if he has any

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

A Neighbour of mine spotted him hiding under a car parked on the road

Lucky he was spotted by a kind human and not a hungry Fox !

From photo 3 I see he has a nice pair of plums on him :oops: !!

I am sure that you know to exercise very strict bio security/quarantine with regards to him and any other Rabbits you may have. Not only keeping him 100% separate from any of your other Rabbits but also changing clothes (or using disposable clinical aprons)/hand washing etc after handling him.

I hope all goes well for him at the Vets x

You can advertise 'found' pets in the local newspaper for free. He could have been living rough for a while after escaping. None of mine are microchipped, although they are neutered, so he may be a much loved pet. He seems happy around humans which doesn't suggest he has been shut in a tiny hutch being ignored. Maybe his owner just needs some education to improve his life :)

Definately put posters around, he may have escaped a while ago and his bad condition could be from living rough. His owners may be frantic with worry so only fair that you try and find them.

Definately put posters around, he may have escaped a while ago and his bad condition could be from living rough. His owners may be frantic with worry so only fair that you try and find them.

This exactly. How would any of us feel if one of our pets went missing? :cry:

No one has claimed the bunny yet. The local p@h haven't had any enquiries, nothing on the local fb missing animal pages, and the local rspca and other animal shelters haven't had anyone asking if they've got a lost bunny. Door knocking hasn't had any luck either.
I am trying to do the right thing.

The rspca won't take him from me so he's staying with me until there's a space at a local rabbit rescue.

The whole thing breaks my heart not knowing what his story is.
With all the negativity, statistics and sad stories we hear of how rabbits are often kept I think it's very easy to fall into a mindset where you think the rabbit has escaped due to poor care or been abandoned. I hope it's not the case in this scenario and I'm sorry if anyone thinks I've automatically jumped to the negative conclusion about this little bunny and his owner.
I am trying to do what I can for a happy ending, whatever that ending may be.

The case of the lost white bunny has been resolved and 'Mr Ruffles' has now been reunited with his owners :thumb:

The case of the lost white bunny has been resolved and 'Mr Ruffles' has now been reunited with his owners :thumb:

I'm really pleased that you tried to find the owners. I know how distraught I was when George escaped out of the cat flap. Sadly a fox found him rather than a caring person:(

Did his owners seem to love and care for him? I hope so as he looks to be a gorgeous bunny and was incredibly lucky that you found him and were prepared to keep him safe until his owners contacted you.

Back