• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unwanted rabbit (in the beggining)

bun1

New Kit
Hello i live in the South of France with my girlfriend and daughter and when we would go to the garden centre my daughter would often like to stop to look at the rabbits.As cute as they always were i would resist the temptation to take one home knowing what a responsibility an animal is to own.I would try and explain this but would always feel a little mean for doing so.Surely enough after spending a week in London i returned home to be greeted by a little furry friend.I was not happy but he was here now and it is quite impossible to be annoyed with something so cute and innocent.He started in a cage but soon got the run of the entire apartment.The first time i went away again my girlfriend tried to put him in the cage for night he hammered on the bars so loud she had to let him out.The apartment soon started to change ,furniture was rearranged to cover cables and fruit bowls and plants would have to be carefully placed as he learned to climb onto the tables and make daring leaps.We could be constantly sweeping hay from the floor and sometimes would return home to find the terrace door dad been left open to find he had eaten to the ground plants that i had been growing for years.Despite all this i could never be angry with this innocent herbivore who was becoming my friend.I am now actually quite happy if i find him on the table eating some fruit as its like a victory for him.He sleeps on the end our bed and will wake me in the early hours for endive leaves either by licking or pulling my hair with his teeth or sometimes just for a stroke.It's like having a newborn.He is is very affectionate in return too.As much as i love this rabbit i can't help but feel sometimes how much happier he would be running and jumping in the wild with other rabbits.Im stuck with now so will try and give him the best life possible hopefully one day moving somewhere with a large garden.I can't believe they are so quick to sell them without even giving people a brief on what is to own one.

Hello and welcome, it sounds like you are giving your bunny a wonderful life :)

He has the run of your home which is fantastic!

To further improve his life, how about getting him a friend? Has he been neutered?

No he has not i could not bring myself to do it.He gets on heat sometimes and it is one of the things that makes me feel keeping them in captivity is wrong particularly in an apartment.A friend is still under ongoing careful consideration.I would love him to have a friend but perhaps with a larger outdoor area would be better.We are looking to move house in around a years time so hopefully yes.

This is a lovely post :love: I so so envy you living in the South of France. Ah, if only....

Regarding neutering and getting him a friend, think of it as not taking anything away from him apart from raging hormones, which will be very frustrating for him. In bucks, it is a relatively simple operation.

Bunnies are a real handful - I can't believe they are sold in pet shops as a "child's easy pet". But like you I could never be without one. They are funny and naughty and so cute.

Mine used to do that with the bars! They have us wrapped round their cute little paws! Haha

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

This is lovely. Don't feel guilty for not letting him out into the wild as pet bunnies don't always do that well joining wild rabbits.

Back