• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gut stasis

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Smudge is at the vets and has been since 11 yesterday and doesn't look like he'll be coming home very soon.

He stopped eating Sunday morning so I gave him metacam, infacol and some water like I have in the past and normally he bounces back after a couple of hours. But he didn't, he hadn't eaten anything all day so by six I started getting worried and took him off to the emergency vets who gave him a couple of injections (painkiller and prokenetic sp?!) and did a blood glucose test which was high but not massively so. He started eating hay as soon as we got home and took some syringe food but then during the night slid back to where he was before so off to Trinity.

Vet had a good look and he has the beginnings of spurs so she felt he'd probably been a bit off his food all week, I hadn't noticed but she said they often eat as often as usual but slower so it's not obvious. But she felt the spurs was effect rather than cause. They took him in (with Imogen) and have been giving him painkillers and trying to syringe food though he's not eating much. I assume they're also giving him fluids, though I can't remember than being specifically mentioned. They're going to do some blood tests as this is all a bit of a mystery.

I'm starting to loose it slightly as this is all so similar to Mini. I can't loose two rabbits in the space of a few months :cry:

Anyway I guess my question is can some rabbits stop eating even with tiny, minimal spurs? This seems to all be a bit of a mystery.

I think it's definitely the case that spurs, which will cause one rabbit to stop eating, will not affect another at all. I guess it's difficult to assess how much pain is being caused just by examination of the teeth.

Senidng lots of vibes for Smudge and also for his blood tests. I hope the vets can establish what's going on with him.

Smudge is at the vets and has been since 11 yesterday and doesn't look like he'll be coming home very soon.

He stopped eating Sunday morning so I gave him metacam, infacol and some water like I have in the past and normally he bounces back after a couple of hours. But he didn't, he hadn't eaten anything all day so by six I started getting worried and took him off to the emergency vets who gave him a couple of injections (painkiller and prokenetic sp?!) and did a blood glucose test which was high but not massively so. He started eating hay as soon as we got home and took some syringe food but then during the night slid back to where he was before so off to Trinity.

Vet had a good look and he has the beginnings of spurs so she felt he'd probably been a bit off his food all week, I hadn't noticed but she said they often eat as often as usual but slower so it's not obvious. But she felt the spurs was effect rather than cause. They took him in (with Imogen) and have been giving him painkillers and trying to syringe food though he's not eating much. I assume they're also giving him fluids, though I can't remember than being specifically mentioned. They're going to do some blood tests as this is all a bit of a mystery.

I'm starting to loose it slightly as this is all so similar to Mini. I can't loose two rabbits in the space of a few months :cry:

Anyway I guess my question is can some rabbits stop eating even with tiny, minimal spurs? This seems to all be a bit of a mystery.

Absolutely yes. Some Rabbits will stop eating when they have a tiny spur or slightly too long crowns. Other Rabbits will keep eating as a bloody great spur cuts into their cheek/tongue.

I hope Smudge will soon be feeling much better. At least you know that he is in expect hands at Trinity xx

Hi Elena

I am so sorry to hear this :cry:

Yes tiny molar spurs can do this to a rabbit. I have had this in the last week with one of mine. Get the teeth done and all should be well. At least you know he's in good hands :D

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to have to ask to actually speak with a vet tomorrow and ask about a dental. It's hard to know what's going on when it's via the receptionist.

Gosh I miss them. My bedroom feels very empty.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to have to ask to actually speak with a vet tomorrow and ask about a dental. It's hard to know what's going on when it's via the receptionist.

Gosh I miss them. My bedroom feels very empty.

How are things today, Elena?

He's improving and has been eating some hay and taking his syringe feeds. Oh and pooping! Some bloods are back and show his kidneys and liver are fine, just waiting on a few more to come back and then I guess it's figuring where we go from there!

He's improving and has been eating some hay and taking his syringe feeds. Oh and pooping! Some bloods are back and show his kidneys and liver are fine, just waiting on a few more to come back and then I guess it's figuring where we go from there!

Yeah often a mystery why it happens :?

Glad those bloods are fine and he's doing well in himself :)

His other bloods have come back and his white blood cell count is high so seems he has an infection with no outward signs. He's gradually improving, he's now very active and eating a bit on his own but not eating as much as he usually does. Trinity have started him on abx so hopefully it won't be long until they're home! Feels so weird at the moment without them here!

His other bloods have come back and his white blood cell count is high so seems he has an infection with no outward signs. He's gradually improving, he's now very active and eating a bit on his own but not eating as much as he usually does. Trinity have started him on abx so hopefully it won't be long until they're home! Feels so weird at the moment without them here!

Yes this high white blood cell count happened to one of mine recently - and no outward sign (other than not eating)

I hope the abx work (will they repeat the blood test?) and they can come home soon xx

They're home!

I'm not sure if they will want to repeat the blood tests. I forgot to ask when they'd like to see him again, or how long to give the meds! Was busy chatting :shy: will have to give them a call.

Vet nurse remembered my Mini :love: and said that maybe he was a bit run down from grieving which I thought was interesting. He's moulting as well so maybe it's all built up and led to picking up the infection.

He's on penicillin injections and twice daily metacam. He seems almost back to his normal self, didn't eat all his pellets this evening but most of them and all the profibre pellets. They love those. He also looks a little tired though he's been in and out of the hay box eating plenty of hay. He's probably sulking a bit as well!

They're home!

I'm not sure if they will want to repeat the blood tests. I forgot to ask when they'd like to see him again, or how long to give the meds! Was busy chatting :shy: will have to give them a call.

Vet nurse remembered my Mini :love: and said that maybe he was a bit run down from grieving which I thought was interesting. He's moulting as well so maybe it's all built up and led to picking up the infection.

He's on penicillin injections and twice daily metacam. He seems almost back to his normal self, didn't eat all his pellets this evening but most of them and all the profibre pellets. They love those. He also looks a little tired though he's been in and out of the hay box eating plenty of hay. He's probably sulking a bit as well!

Elena - what a lovely late evening report :wave:

It's nice to feel welcomed and your vet surgery certainly puts you at ease :)

How long is the penicillin going on for? Big guns for an unknown infection - I like that Mark knows exactly what he's doing :)

By the way, I've noticed a grieving rabbit *does* get a run down immune system. How often do we hear in old folk, when one dies, the other dies of a broken heart?

They're home!

Glad to hear that they are both home and I hope that Smudge makes a full recovery now :D

Back