• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Caterpillars?

Tamwill

Young Bun
Cleaning cage out last night (it's a cage over run type) and found what I thought was half a worm. It was around an inch long, grey/brown - a bit like a dried out worm colour but felt squidgy to touch so wasn't dried out. Assumed it was a worm and chucked it across garden but then came across a couple more just outside the cage. Picked one up with a peg for closer inspection and it was defo alive. It looked more like a caterpillar than a worm but had no hair/fur. Any ideas? Should I be worried? It was defo too big to be a maggot - and I may be wrong but I'm sure fly maggots are white so im positive it wasn't. Bunny bums checked just incase but nothing there 😁

Cleaning cage out last night (it's a cage over run type) and found what I thought was half a worm. It was around an inch long, grey/brown - a bit like a dried out worm colour but felt squidgy to touch so wasn't dried out. Assumed it was a worm and chucked it across garden but then came across a couple more just outside the cage. Picked one up with a peg for closer inspection and it was defo alive. It looked more like a caterpillar than a worm but had no hair/fur. Any ideas? Should I be worried? It was defo too big to be a maggot - and I may be wrong but I'm sure fly maggots are white so im positive it wasn't. Bunny bums checked just incase but nothing there ��

A moth Caterpillar ?

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/british-caterpillar-galleries/british-moth-caterpillar-galleries/

Could you post a photo? It will be the larval stage of something, but tbh so many species will look like your description.

Have a look at crane fly larvae. They look like brown caterpillars and live in the lawn.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Oh sorry. Misread that bit. I'll take another look

Hmm hard to tell with out a piccy bit could have been crane fly larvae they can look pale and tend to all come up at once if it's been raining.

Last edited:
Typically I haven't seen any more to take pics *rolls eyes* although I've googled crane fly larvae and yes, that's just what they looked like! I'm wondering if they've fallen from guttering or been chucked down by birds cos cage always has bits of Moss and such landing on it from the gutter! So are they a problem to rabbits if theyre crane fly larvae?

Typically I haven't seen any more to take pics *rolls eyes* although I've googled crane fly larvae and yes, that's just what they looked like! I'm wondering if they've fallen from guttering or been chucked down by birds cos cage always has bits of Moss and such landing on it from the gutter! So are they a problem to rabbits if theyre crane fly larvae?
Nope not a problem. They live in the soil and eat grass roots. They then hatch out into daddy long legs! :)

Crane fly larvae also known as "leather jackets"due to their brownish colouring are a major food source at this time of year for starlings feeding their demanding young.I've watched them rooting in the grass then literally stuffing them in their fledgling gobs! Harmless to buns,probably dropped by parents etc.:)

Back