• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wearing down nails

Alicia

Mama Doe
I don't like cutting the rabbits nails as I'm wary of cutting the quick. How often do they need to walk on concrete to keep them down? Do they need to live on concrete?

Living on concrete or any hard surface can cause awful sore hocks and I believe can lead to arthritis as their foot isn't on the floor correctly. Due to the nails they sit on the back of the foot and don't move correctly. Carpet, grass, sawdust, soil they sink their toes into the soil and therefore can sit correctly.

Out in the wild rabbits would be running around on possible hard surfaces (wears down nails) or digging warrens. We provide cages so they don't really need to build warrens. Getting a childs sand pit and filling it with sand or compost with stones in may help wear down nails.

As for cutting nails, can somebody help you? The quick on a white nail is very easy to see as its red. I do admit though dark nails are a pain in the butt. I find shining a light on darker nails helps to see the quick which is darker, and using nail clippers for pets helps a load.

Usually just need doing once a month, so maybe even the vets could do it. Taking the tips off should be enough.

I'm just so nervous of cutting them, I used to do my guinea-pigs nails fine but I've always struggled with the rabbits. I will ask someone to help me so I've got a spare hand and if I can't do it that way I'll ask the vet.

Vet nurse is usually cheaper than the vet.I got the nurse to show me how to clip the nails,after that I did it myself no problem.

Back