• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed rabbit

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Hi as you probably are all aware Ginny got spayed last week. Well she is eating again... minimum pellets but plenty of hay and fresh vegetables and herbs and our clothes when we hold her (hubby has already lost a brand new works t-shirt) and she is moving around more now.

I am so glad we are back to the vets tonight, because when we checked her yesterday she now has no stitches (arrrggghhh) .... We have made sure that she isn't bleeding/oozing (if she was we would have done the emergency vet).

Will they put more stitches in?

Jode

are you sure the stitches have disappeared? Most good vets stitch up rabbit spays from the inside (if that makes sense :lol: ), you can't see them, just a couple of tail ends and the end of the wound.

If she's pulled out the stitches but is healing the vet will probably just check that she's clean and uninfected and leave it at that. One of my girls made a nice little hole in her belly, but we just had to keep an eye on it and make sure it was clean and not pulling open and it eventually healed over and was fine. Chips also did some home surgery on himself and again, he was fine.

But it might be that there are no stitches to see. There could just be some internal stitches. If she's clean and doesn't look sore at all, I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Lynda's right, are you sure there was stitches to start with?? My vet stitches them up from the inside as well so all you have is like a seam. Sophie did somehow manage to do something to hers and had one of her sticthes poking through about 2 weeks after her spay. All is healed well now, I checked a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find anything, strange little bunny she is.

Angela

maybe i was imaging things.
dontknow.gif
I was so positive that there were stitches...... now you are all making me doubt myself.... oh well nothing new there then ...... lol.....

I will get hubby to ask.

The vet might put a bit of glue on rather than more stitches. Much easier to do and nothing to pull out ;)

UPDATE: The vet checked ginny all over (eyes, ears, mouth and bun) and also check her wound. She DID have stitches and they were due to be taken out next week. The vet was very please with her progress, now got fur growing back and she is not licking/biting the wound.

We also checked regarding the pellets situation and the vet said don't use the mixes just stick to excell. As long as they are eating plenty of hay and vegetables, it is ok. We were also told to keep a bowl of pellets in the hutch becuase if they want them they will eat them.

Jode

without_halo said:
We also checked regarding the pellets situation and the vet said don't use the mixes just stick to excell. As long as they are eating plenty of hay and vegetables, it is ok. We were also told to keep a bowl of pellets in the hutch becuase if they want them they will eat them.

Jode
Kinda puzzled by that. Does that mean the vet told you to leave food out for her all the time? Unlimited pellets? If so is there any reason she should be on unlimited pellets?
Remember if you are changing from a mix to a pellet to do it gradually over at least a week longer if possible.
Glad to hear she is doing well and is leaving the scar to heal.

Angela

they both went off pellets..... we thought that they would prefer the mix to it but they didn't.

They don't have unlimited pellets. They have what the recommended amount is. We were just told to leave it in the hutch. They prefer hay and fresh veg and herbs to the pellets.

I am only following the advice of the Vets...

Ah right with you now, sorry got lost somewhere :lol:
Its good that they choose the hay and veggies over pellets and if they are healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

Angela

Back