• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka is rapidly losing weight!

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
Gone from fat and healthy to very boney in under a week!

Only noticed a couple of days ago when we gave her a stroke and we could feel her spine. (She is the most nervous of being touched so we don't tend to handle her much) She was fine a few days before. :(

She is eating fine. Tucking into her dry food, and also eating grass in the garden all day.

Took her to the vets this morning and he is very concerned about the amount of weight she has lost. He suspects liver failure, and is concerned that it may be a liver tumour :cry: :cry:

She has had a blood sample taken and we should know the results within the next day or so. The vet has given her an injection of steroids, and I am going to give her unlimited pellets.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be any other reason other than liver failure?

Oh Jeremy, this is just such upsetting news, we send you and Caroline many hugs and much love, we are thinking of you.
I am very sorry to say that I tend to go with the Vet on this one until proved otherwise, rapid weight loss in bunnies is never a good sign, and I am sure the Vet thought about things before relaying his fears to you.
Rabbits also typically eat a huge amount of food with Cancer...we have been through this scenario several times ourselves, so we understand how you must be feeling.
:cry:
I am truly sorry and can only hope a miracle occurs and something is found that can be treated.
Either way, we are here for you if you need us....please keep us updated.
Love Adele, David and all the bunnies

Thankyou for you thoughts and kind words Adele, I was just going to send you a PM to let you know.

We are pretty much resigned to the worse, so your comments just confirm it really. :( It just seemed so sudden, and she is so happy and healthy seeming otherwise, and she is such a beautiful rabbit.

We will keep you updated of course.

[quote="Jeremy"

We are pretty much resigned to the worse, so your comments just confirm it really. :( It just seemed so sudden, and she is so happy and healthy seeming otherwise, and she is such a beautiful rabbit.(QUOTE Jeremy)

Oh dear :cry: ...the only weeny consolation (if there is ever one in a situation like this) is that as you said Mishka has been well right up until now, so she has not suffered and with Liver Cancer there is no pain.
Words cannot begin to say how sorry we are, but Mishka has been so lucky to have a life with you, and you must hang on to the fact that you have given her the very best of everything....she is a very lucky bunny to have found her way to you.
We will keep you updated of course.[/quote]
Okay Jeremy, and there is always some hope, and Vets can be wrong...so just hang in there and take each day as it comes.

Awwww, Jeremy and Caroline, I'm sorry to hear this :( . I always try to prepare for the worst and anything different is a huge bonus! I'm thinking of you all.

We are also worried that there is something we could have done to prevent this. Is there any specific cause or is it just "luck of the draw"? :(

bunnyhuggger said:
Awwww, Jeremy and Caroline, I'm sorry to hear this :( . I always try to prepare for the worst and anything different is a huge bonus! I'm thinking of you all.

Thank you Lynda.

There seem to be so many poorly bunnies at the moment on the forum, it is horrible. :cry:

Jeremy said:
We are also worried that there is something we could have done to prevent this. Is there any specific cause or is it just "luck of the draw"? :(

No Jeremy, you must NEVER think like this, cancer is something you cannot prevent and Mishka had a healthy diet and active lifetsyle....it is just extreme bad luck, and hard news to swollow as it is so unexpected.

life is cruel sometimes, and we just have to try and accept that we cannot control these things, it is a reminder of how fragile life really is, and to make the best of each and every day.
Nothing you could have done would have prevented this, please believe that. :cry:

Oh Jeremy, what a terrible shock for you. You have acted quickly and this means Mishka will not suffer. She's eating well and bright which is a good thing. I have recently lost a bunny to a stomach tumour which no-one knew about. Its a horrible thing and there is nothing you can do to prevent it, it's just nature I guess. Hoping the results provide the better of the two evils.
Big Hugs to Mishka. Such a lovely name do you know what it means?

Angela

Thumps said:
Big Hugs to Mishka. Such a lovely name do you know what it means?
Angela

Thank you for your kind words Angela.

I think Mishka was named by Lany (bunnytales) who frequents this board and who originally rescued her and Sparkle from poor conditions. I agree it is a lovely name and seems to suit her perfectly.

Sorry to hear about Mishka. :( I really do hope you have some good news, but if it turns out to be the worst, then as the others have said, at least she hasn't suffered. If she remains well, you can feed her lots of scrummy oats to build up her weight again, I'm sure she'll love that!

:( Oh Jeremy and Caroline - I'm gobsmacked!!! -

The lovely Mishka - I just cannot believe this news!! - If I've followed the thread correctly as I've just got back home after being away for a few days - do you still have to have the results of the tests to confirm the findings - If so - I really have all paws, fingers, toes and everything else crossed that its encouraging news!!

My heart goes out to you two!! - I don't think I need to say too much as we know each other so well and you'll know how I feel for you both right now!!

Just a little light info for you, Caroline and Thumps - Mishka - what does her name mean!! -
I don't think it has a specific meaning but Mishka was actually named after a young Filly horse which came onto the yard where I've been learning to ride (without much success I have to say!!) -

This filly was a lovely sable brown (just like Mishka's coat) and although you kinda got the feeling this filly loved and needed human company - she always gave the impression was also Miss Independant and could cope quite well on her own - but the longer she stayed on the yard the more we grew to love her personality - Mishka came along just at the same time and they were so much alike - both beautiful and very savy - so there you go - there's the lowdown for you on how the lovely Mishka got her name.

I know this bunny couldn't have found a finer home with you both and I definately know there is nothing you could have done to prevent this - thats just Bunnies for you - I've learned that from my Aunt Adele thats for sure.

Please keep me posted - if there is anything I can do just hollar or PM me
and give the girls a hug and the lovely Flump of course.

Loads of Bunny Hugs.
Thinking of you

Oh my dear Jeremy & Caroline, I am so sorry to hear this about Mishka. I can only echo everyone else here and say that her quality of life has been superb and she has not suffered . This is so very important, much as we want our beloved friends to be with us forever our love has to show through in the end for their sake. I hope you understand what I mean. I have been through this with my beloved Jack Russell - Toby and much as I would have wanted thing to be different - I had no choice.

Please keep us informed and we are all thinking of you

Love from

bunnytales said:
:( Oh Jeremy and Caroline - I'm gobsmacked!!! -

The lovely Mishka - I just cannot believe this news!!

Hello Lany.

I'm sorry to give you such horrible news after you've just got back from your break. We can't believe it ourselves. We seem to have only known her a short while, and she is such a beatiful and charming rabbit :( We thought we could make up for the rough start she had in life, but now it seems it is being cut short :cry:

Yes, we are still awaiting the test results. Should know tomorrow or possibly Wednesday.

You'll be happy to know that she is still a very happy and inquisitive bunny at the moment and doesn't seem to have a lack of energy.

We will let you know as soon as we have the results.

The vet rang us up tonight with the test results.

It is as we feared. Liver problems. :(

He did go into a lot of detail about various levels but I can't remember the fancy terms. I do remember that one liver enzyme should be about 39 for a normal rabbit, but Mishka's was over 300! :(

He gave some medical term for what she's got, but basically I think it just means "liver disease". He said that it could have been caused by an infection, or even due to a knock to her abdomen! Maybe she did it at the same time she hurt her spine, but it doesn't look like we'll ever know.

He didn't mention cancer, so I asked whether the results ruled that out, but he said no. The only way to test for a tumour is an X-Ray, and he said it wouldn't make any difference to the treatment anyway.

She is going to have another steroid injection on Friday, this time a more longer lasting one and then I suppose we just see how she does. The vet did seem to indicate that things were pretty rough though :cry:

Just a waiting game now then, and hoping desperately that she might pull through somehow, but really I think it is a small hope.

Thanks for everyone's comforting posts. We will let you know how she is doing.

Jeremy said:
Just a waiting game now then, and hoping desperately that she might pull through somehow, but really I think it is a small hope.

:cry: All I can do is breath a huge sigh - I'm feel so much for you both at the moment but you never know bunnies can be quite resiliant and I really hope this bunny pulls through.

I know Adele will be in touch with you also - and she has some great tips for weight gain in bunnies which I'm not sure works the same in Liver cases but perhaps they might help to give Mishka some extra strength to battle this -

I know its going to be so tough for you both but my only relief is that Mishka is with you both during this time and not where I originally rescued her from as I know she wouldn't have received the loving care that you two have given to her - I know I couldn't have read any signs of this happening but I feel soooo terrible and kinda responsible for putting you both through this - but I guess we know how fickle these little bunnies are with health - they seem a constant worry sometimes - little bunsters!!

I know you'll have your hands full re care etc but please try and post when you can on how Mishka is doing.

Bunny Hugs to you both, Mishka, Sparkle and the lovely Flump.

Hi Lany,

Thank you for you post, but please do not feel bad about this. It is certainly not your fault, and as you say if it wasn't for you Mishka would still be in a bad situation. If anything it is us that feel bad because we feel like we've been bad bunny parents somehow, and maybe could have prevented this by being more vigilant. I know everyone says not to feel this way, but we can't help it. Especially after the vet says it could possibly have been caused by a knock to her tummy. I keep racking my brains trying to think of how she might have hurt herself or what she could have climbed on and fallen off, but it is stupid to think like this I know.

I was very concerned this morning because it seemed like she had turned a corner for the worst overnight, and was sluggish and uninterested this morning, and showed no interest in her food whatsoever. This was really unusual as she has been scoffing it down like mad up until now. However, she seemed to perk up slightly when I let her out into the garden, and I managed to tempt her with half a hobnob biscuit. I know it's not the best food, but it felt good to feel her yank it out of my hand and run off with it. Caroline is at home today and is keeping an eye on her. She is due at the vets Friday for another steroid jab, but after this morning I think we will try and get her in tomorrow instead.

Back