• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NZ white looking a bit scruffy? U/D I'm gonna have to let her go

Bess&George

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here, hope everyone and their bunny friends are well.

I have two NZ whites, a mother and son, that came from a rescue 4.5 years ago. I've noticed lately that the mum bun has been looking a bit scruffy, her fur isn't as nice and fluffy as usual and when I was looking at her today I *think* she looks thinner as well. Her appetite, however, is the same as always and she's just as bouncy as she always is. Obviously I've got a vet's appointment booked for next week to have her weighed and checked, but was wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for/concerned about? She's up to date with vaccinations and was last checked just before Xmas and everything was fine, her teeth included.
Also wondering how long do NZ whites usually live? I've always heard that larger rabbits have a shorter lifespan so not sure what to expect as she's large but not a giant breed. She's six this summer, so could it just be age catching up with her? I would have thought six is kind of middle-aged now.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here, hope everyone and their bunny friends are well.

I have two NZ whites, a mother and son, that came from a rescue 4.5 years ago. I've noticed lately that the mum bun has been looking a bit scruffy, her fur isn't as nice and fluffy as usual and when I was looking at her today I *think* she looks thinner as well. Her appetite, however, is the same as always and she's just as bouncy as she always is. Obviously I've got a vet's appointment booked for next week to have her weighed and checked, but was wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for/concerned about? She's up to date with vaccinations and was last checked just before Xmas and everything was fine, her teeth included.
Also wondering how long do NZ whites usually live? I've always heard that larger rabbits have a shorter lifespan so not sure what to expect as she's large but not a giant breed. She's six this summer, so could it just be age catching up with her? I would have thought six is kind of middle-aged now.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello

6 is not really 'old' for a NZW. Poor coat condition and weightloss are a concern and it's good that you will be consulting your Vet. Sometimes arthritis can cause weightloss (loss of muscle mass as opposed to loss of body fat). Also arthritic Rabbits find it difficult to groom themselves, so their coat can become dull and they can be susceptible to mites.

Whilst Dental problems may not have been an issue before last Xmas that was almost 6 months ago. A lot can change in 6 months, so I'd certainly want the Vet to check her teeth again.

Have you noticed that she (Bess??) is drinking more than she used to ? Any change in litter tray habits ?

Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance.

Hi there :wave:

Yeah I would say 6 is around middle age as you suggest. They live around 7 - 10 years :)

Her coat could be dull and scruffy for a number of reasons. It could be due to mites, which proliferate when a rabbit's immune system is a bit low. Not always easy to see, but easy to treat:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

You would also need to consider though, if this is the case, possible causes for the lowering of her immune system, other than getting on in years :)

You could also ask the vet about the parasite E.C. which can cause the weight loss you may be seeing.

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

http://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

Do you have a good and trusted vet?

Thank you very much for your responses, really appreciate them.

Some interesting suggestions there, will definitely look into the info and links.
Bess has been acting the way she usually is, I've not seen anything unusual in the litter tray and she really is as keen on her food as ever. I'm not sure about her drinking as she pretty much ignores any water I put out for her and drinks any rainwater she can find instead. She's only ever been poorly once before and that time she was really off her food immediately.

Glad to hear that you don't think she's that old yet! She's (secretly) my favourite bunny and It's awful to even think that she might possibly be getting old.

Thank you very much for your responses, really appreciate them.

Some interesting suggestions there, will definitely look into the info and links.
Bess has been acting the way she usually is, I've not seen anything unusual in the litter tray and she really is as keen on her food as ever. I'm not sure about her drinking as she pretty much ignores any water I put out for her and drinks any rainwater she can find instead. She's only ever been poorly once before and that time she was really off her food immediately.

You're welcome :)

Ok something's definitely not right. This morning when I went to give the bunnies their breakfast pellets George ran past Bess and shoved her a bit and she lost her balance a little bit, sort of fell on her bottom. Then I noticed her left back leg looking a bit odd, she was using but it was in a slightly strange angle. Her underside was also a bit dirty with urine so clearly she hasn't been able to clean herself properly. Could she have a broken leg or sprain or something? Would she be able to hide that as until this morning I hadn't noticed anything with her leg?

Goes without saying booked her to emergency vet's, OH has just taken her as I had to stay behind with the kids. Feeling so anxious and nervous and feeling absolutely awful in case she's been poorly for a while and I hadn't noticed!

Well It's not good news. OH said that by the time they got to the vet's Bess' s breathing got really laboured and noisy, I assume the car journey really stressed her out. She was taken straight in and admitted.
The vet just called to update. They had done a full medical including x-rays of her chest and legs. There's something in her lungs that shows up as opaque patches. At best It's pneumonia, worst case it could be some sort of growths. :( She has no discharge from her eyes or nose.
With regards to her legs there are no broken bones but there are some potential signs of arthritis in one leg, but more worryingly, her left hind leg which was in a funny angle this morning had something dodgy going on. Apologies I've forgotten the medical term the vet used but I understood it could also potentially be a growth of sorts. :(
She has also lost weight even though she's been eating as much as always.

They are initially gonna treat it as an infection and she's gonna be on antibiotics, pain medication and 28 days of panacur.

She's gonna stay in the hospital overnight but should be able to come home tomorrow, they said she's doing well and eating everything they put in front of her.

The vet mentioned a CT scan as this would reveal more than an x-ray but I Don't know if I can afford that. Her insurance is capped at £1,500 and I'm currently on maternity leave so have no income. I can see some tough decisions ahead. :(

Thanks everyone.

I'm trying to be all positive but knowing the facts I can't help but think it's something like bone cancer that's already spread to her lungs. :( Just the rate she's deteriorated, her weight loss and the lack of discharge would imply this is the case.

This is Bess some 4 years ago when she was still young and plump and living indoors. I had to move them outdoors because my other bun George kept having health issues (sneezing, snot) indoors, he's been much happier outside as he's not a people bun anyway. Bess is the more affectionate one who loves people. I have no idea what to do with George should the worst happen, trying not to think about it.

This is Bess some 4 years ago when she was still young and plump and living indoors. I had to move them outdoors because my other bun George kept having health issues (sneezing, snot) indoors, he's been much happier outside as he's not a people bun anyway. Bess is the more affectionate one who loves people. I have no idea what to do with George should the worst happen, trying not to think about it.

She is beautiful :love:

Try not to think about the future, and live for the day like lovely Bess :D

Sorry to read the sad update, fingers crossed for Bess along with lots of vibes and hugs for you xx

Back