• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help needed!

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
any ideas about how to help bernie? she is going downhill fast. she has infection in the ab muscle from her spay wound. tiook to hospital last night, she too sick too boperated on at mo, back on antibiotics. have purayed grass, dandilion, and just about everything she loikes and am syringe feeding her orally, but she getting more an more listless. any ideas

i've sent john to get pinapple juice as someone mentioned that might help with brad,

she's really cold now tho, don't know what to do.

I am really sorry to hear about Bernie - she needs to get back to the hospital asap - it is vital that she gets treatment - she may need antibiotics through a drip along with fluid.
I am sending all the vibes that I can for Bernie - come on little girl, get better.

smallbrownfrog said:
i've sent john to get pinapple juice as someone mentioned that might help with brad,

she's really cold now tho, don't know what to do.

Get a thick towel or blanket and put her against your chest - she will get the heat from you and the towel should be placed over both of you. She is in shock as well - this will be due to the infection - phone the vet and tell them that you are on the way with a very sick bunny - explain what is happening and they can have things set up for Bernie so that she can get immediate treatment.
Keep her against you with the towel covering you both - she needs that heat and the sound of your heartbeat will soothe her as well.

smallbrownfrog said:
thankyou for your help. are you a vet?

No, not a vet - but I run a Rabbit Retirement Home and look after elderly, disabled and sick buns - we have 24 at the moment and some are having intense nursing.
I have had this happen with a spay wound before and know that the shock to the system is actually more dangerous than the infection or the wound itself.
Please let us know how Bernie gets on - she looks such a wonderful bun in her piccies.

I think the advise that Jaypot has given you is excellent. It is very important to keep her digestive system functioning and her body hydrated. And to keep her snuggly warm. Please let us know how you get on.

she is a lot warmer now. after forceably feeding her liquid grass, danidilion, carrot, cucumber, clover, rosemary, banana, pinaple juice, apple juice, water with vitamins and a meal worm, all in very small quantities she seems a little perkier.

i have rung the vet, and will take her at 4.30 if she looks bad.

i'm really not sure what they can do tho, she is taking antibiotics, she'sa warm and comfy, she doesn't appear to be in pain, she isn't dehydrated and she is taking food. they cannot anithatise her while she's like this...maybe it would be better to keep her here.

i agree that she would be happier at home but the vets can proabaly treat the shock which at the moment is the biggest danger . Let us know how she gets on , I would still take her to the vet to get her checked over tho .

i maneged to speak to the vet this time, he said there's really nothing else they would do right now.

she had the op 14 days ago, so she's not in shock from that.

she seems a lot better, i'll just keep doin what i'm doin for now. if she looks like she did this morning again, i'll take her straight in.

thankyou for your support, i had a panic and got very upset when i saw her this morning. she looks alive now tho, moving, washing not messing with her wound.

managed to snatch a hours sleep with john watching her like a hawk!

she just gave me some resistance to feeding her, got in a little strop and dug the towel. that's good to see. she's not bothereing the wound still. i have stuff from the vets to wash it later. i just squeesed a tiny little bit of puss out but it generally looks ok, no swelling etc. generally she is looking a lot stronger and more like herself not. a little improvement since last mail in her state of mind, definately no decline.

i shall persivere.

Its annoying how fast they go downhill isn't it? Jasper is unwell just now and one minute she's fine looking good and the next she is looking really bad and Im panicking thinking the worst is going to happen.
Glad to hear Bernie is doing better. Not sure squeezing her wound is a good thing, might be better to wash it and see if you can get anything out that way.

Angela

rabbit puss is thick and the only way to gat it out is to squeeze of pull, the vet had a good ol rummage last night and got a lot of it out one way or the other, but there is infection in the muscle. it really is quite inportant to keep it cleaned out, i have stuff to wash too. sounds grose the don't it! :?

i'm worried now that she has not passed any pellets for a long while. last time i can remember was about 2.30. her belly must have been very empty this morning, it's full now...all i can do is wait. she seems lots better in herself. washing a lot :)

Um just what I wanted to know, all about bunny pus :lol:
You could try gently massaging her tummy to see if that helps get things moving.

Angela

Back